- 4 years ago
- Wedding: September 2013
So on Sunday my husband and I adopted a little 2 1/2 month old kitten. We already have a 1 year old kitten and wanted to get another cat so that in the future our cat has someone here with him while we are gone. My sister lived with us for 3 weeks last month and had her cat here. Our cat was fine with her cat but her cat hated ours so we kept him locked in our spare bedroom.
When we brought the kitten home we took him straight to the spare bedroom. We let our cat see him while he was in his carrier (which I think was a mistake) and our cat started growling and hissing at the kitten. We haven’t let him see the kitten since then but when he goes to sniff under the spare bedroom door he hisses. I have been putting treats outside of the door as kind of a positive reinforcement. I also tried to give my cat his nightly wet food outside the door but he kept hissing and wouldn’t eat his food so I moved it.
So my question is- have an of you ever gotten a cat/kitten when you already had one and how did you get your resident cat okay with the new family member? My 1 year old cat is pretty bothered right now and it is breaking my heart because he is my furbaby and I love him so much. I also feel bad for our new kitty because he has to be in there by himself a lot since we are juggling spending time with the both of them. My husband and I are taking turns sleeping in there with the kitty so that he doesn’t have to sleep alone.
Here is my current plan-
1) Let them keep sniffing each other under the door. Wait until my cat can be by the door and not hiss and will eat his food by the door.
2) Bring out some things with the kittens smell on it and put something with my cats smell on it in the room with the kitten. Wait until my cat doesn’t hiss at the smell of the things before moving onto the next step.
3) Start to room swap. Bring kitty out in another room and let my cat go in and sniff around. If he doesn’t hiss, move onto the next step.
4) Open the door a TINY bit and let them sniff each other. If my cat doesn’t hiss, move onto the next step.
5) Introduce them with kitty in his carrier while feeding my cat his wet food/treats.
6) Let the kitty and cat eat their food together with the kitty outside of his carrying case with us standing over them (to protect the kitty if my cat gets mad).
7) Bring kitty out and watch him and our cat like a HAWK until it seems that my cat is fine with the kitten.
8) Let kitty stay out when we are home but put him back into the spare bedroom until he is bigger (for his own safety- he is only 2.5 pounds!!)
9) Let them both have free reign of the house all of the time.
Am I missing any steps? Should I forget any of them? How long do you think this will take? Am I putting too much effort into this? Lol. It is exhausting trying to get them acquainted (and its only been two days) but I am determined that in the end my cat will be happy to have someone here with him. Any advice and happy stories are welcome. Any stories of cats never adjusting, well, I would like to stay away from those at the moment so I can think happy thoughts! 😛 🙂