(Closed) adopting

posted 7 years ago in Parenting
Post # 3
1749 posts
Bumble bee

@soon2bnixon: Yes, I think you can change his name to whatever you like legally. However, FI would not be considered a parent or have any financial obligation for your son. It would be a name change and thats it.

Post # 4
1944 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

No, you cannot process an adoption without the father terminating his rights or the courts terminating. I see he is MIA but is he paying any support? If so; this would be extremely difficult. Also to disagree with PP; there are many states where you legally cannot change a childs last name without parental consent; especially if they are on the birth certificate.

Post # 5
7587 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

@MissGreen: ditto

You can however, file a petition for adoption, and if there is no response within an alloted time frame from the other parent, sometimes they will terminate his rights due to non-answer. This can be tricky, but can be done.

Post # 6
1048 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

We’re in this boat and I highly suggest contacting an attorney.  It’s not an easy process to do yourself.  

The topic ‘adopting’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors