(Closed) Advice Appreciated: Would you stop breastfeeding?

posted 5 years ago in Babies
Post # 17
1492 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

I think I’d get a second oppionin first from a breastfeeding friendly dr. If they told me to stop then i would. I would hope that they would offer to closely monitor me until I was done though. If anything this changed then you know to pay more attention to it. Good luck with whatever you decide And I hope its nothing serious.

Post # 18
602 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2015 - Dreams Las Mareas - Costa Rica

I would stop also… they already got all the good antibodies by then… you have to take care of mommy so she has one:)  just like on the plane… you put on your life mask before the child to make sure you are there to take care of the child… she is almost ready for solids… you can give her organic and blend it up yourself and all that good stuff… take care of mommy!  She got the best part already!  of course it would have been nice to continue but she needs you more 🙂 

I’ll keep you in my thoughts 🙂

Post # 19
11744 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I can’t imagine the emotions and struggle this decision will be for you And I’m sorry you have to makenthat choice. For me, as important as Boyfriend or Best Friend is and as much as I love it, I would rather be safe than sorry. Baby needs me alive more than she needs my milk. If it ends up being cancer (which I pray it’s not) the earlier it is caught and treated the better. I just couldn’t gamble with my health like that but I totally understand why it’s such a hard and emotional decision to make. 

Post # 20
9824 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

I’d probably seek out a second opinion but I would probably follow the advice of a specialist(s). That way maybe someone will have more information or more of an opinion than just a suggestion. That’s really tough though, I love BFing so I can understand how hard it would be to consider giving it up for “nothing” if it works out to be nothing (hopefully it’s nothing).  But better safe than sorry, baby needs you more than they need breastmilk. 

Post # 21
192 posts
Blushing bee

cora_123:  I would stop, this coming from a mom who EBF for almost 6 month. As I see it, your babe has gotten a TON of benefits from your milk so far and you should take care of yourself. Maybe not cut it cold turket and start to wean over the next few weeks?

Post # 22
1440 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I would seek out a second opinion and also a consult with a LC. Should you decide to stop (which in your situation I would if the second opinion reiterated that there was a risk). You could consult with a LC and find out steps, if you’re adamant on Boyfriend or Best Friend as long as possible, to re-lactate should it turn out to not be a tumor etc. But all that’s to say, there is nothing wrong with switching to formula. You have to what is best for baby AND mother. 

Post # 23
2920 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 1996

cora_123:  I am a huge breastfeeding supporter. I would stop breastfeeding now and worry about whether or not you might be able to relactate (timing) later when you know what’s going on with your health. You wouldn’t be stopping “for nothing” even if you get great news and everything’s fine, because you can’t KNOW until you stop. It’s a vital step in the process.

Post # 24
104 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I don’t understand why they couldn’t determine what the lump was through the biopsy? I had a lump on my breast not long ago. The ultrasound determined it was solid, not liquid, and therefore had a 10% chance of being cancer (not a fun day). Then the ultrasound-guided core needle biopsy determined it was a benign tumor that I didn’t have to have removed.

The topic ‘Advice Appreciated: Would you stop breastfeeding?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors