- 7 years ago
- Wedding: May 2011
I’d love some advice on how best to handle this situation. It’s rather complicated.
1. I’ve been out of work for a few months and interviewing at a lot of different companies through a lot of different recruiters/agencies.
2. About a month ago I was put forward for a position (A) by a recruiter and a few days later an interview was set up for the next week (3 1/2 weeks ago).
3. About 3 weeks ago I heard about another position (B) and sent in my resume–it was closer, and overall just a better position and opportunity.
4. A little over 3 weeks ago I went for the interview for postition A and did well. I was contacted later that day by the recruiter that they were willing to make me an offer and I accepted. It is a contract position–non-permanent, no benefits, through a consulting firm, and 1 hour away.
5. I was told by company A that it can take quite a while for security and setup to occur.
6. A little over a week ago I was contacted by position B to come in for an interview. I went in and it went great. I went in for a second interview last week and that also went well. This is permanant, full benefits, great company, 40 minutes away.
7. I finally heard back from company A last week that my start date would be the end of next week (little over a month after I came in to interview).
8. Then yesterday I got an email from company B that as soon as they have approval to make an offer they are ready to hire me–paperwork just has to be done and everything signed off.
So now I’m not sure what to do or how to approach this. I really would much prefer position B and they have basically said they will hire me once the approval comes through from HR. Should I go to just a few days of this contract position and then ditch them? Should I call before Thursday (my official start date) and decline to come in? What would I say?
I just really don’t want this second one to fall through and have given up position A as well. I don’t think there’s much chance of that, but I’ve been out of work for 4 months and it’s freaking me out. I don’t know what to say or when and how to say it. Any advice would be appreciated.