(Closed) Advice: Declining/Accepting Jobs in sticky situation

posted 7 years ago in Career
Post # 3
Member
749 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I can see how this is tough! Would it be possible to take the contractual position at company A just until you find out from B? The start date may not be for a while, so at least you could have some income until then, and then if things fall through with B, you would still have a job. I am currently a contract, so I know how these things go :/

Post # 5
Member
749 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I’ll keep my fingers crossed that B calls soon! Good luck!

Post # 6
Member
1006 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I think you should just keep quiet until you get an official offer from Company B. Strange things can happen – especially in this economy and it might not come through. It sucks for Company A but you have to look out for you. Just be very professional when you give your notice to Company A when your new offer comes in. Who knows – maybe they will give you an even better offer to keep you.

Post # 7
Member
10287 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

@missapis: My thoughts exactly.

@kala_way: It’s a temporary position so they can’t expect you to be entirely committed. 

Something similiar happened to me. I was out of work for a few months and finally got an offer through a recruiter to work in a call center (child support – it was hell). Right before I started I submitted my resume to DH’s company for a few positions they had open. I got the call from them on the second day of training. They wanted me to come in for an interview that week so on my fourth day of training I went in and met with HR on my lunch break (had to change in the car – thankfully they were close). I got an offer a few days later and accepted it. I called the recruiter and he was pretty po’ed that I’d quit so soon but I knew the call center job wasn’t for me. I’ve now been at my company for more than 4 years and I’m an auditor. I’d say it was a good career move. 

Post # 9
Member
389 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I say don’t say anything at first and start at A. Of course it sucks for them, but no one can expect you to decline a job that is a much better fit for you. 

One question though: When you hear back from B and they tell you to start like a week later, can you just walk out of job A? Or do they require two weeks notice or something?

Post # 10
Member
10287 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

@maymorganite: Any job I’ve had “requires” 2 weeks notice but nothing happens if you don’t give it. You won’t be able to use that job as a reference but in situations like these, you wouldn’t anyway.

Post # 11
Member
389 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@UpstateCait: Ah, good that nothing happens besides the reference! I actually had a situation where I wanted out and they said if I don’t stay longer, they will sue me 🙁 But I lived in Germany at that time, and the people I worked with were just really.. not nice. 

Post # 12
Member
2496 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 1991

I’ve been in that position as well.  I worked for a company for an entire month and then quit.  Technically I quit one week in and nothing really happened.  Like a PP said, just be really professional about it, don’t tell them more than you need to and you’ll be fine.  I would start at A and wait for B, and hopefully B will come through! 🙂

Post # 13
Member
10287 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

@maymorganite: I suppose an employee could get into legal trouble if they signed a contract stating that they would remain employed for however long but I’ve never had a job that required one. 

Post # 14
Member
13096 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

I would proceed like normal with company A until you actually have an offer from company B.  No sense risking something falling through with comapny B and then being job-less again.

I agree with the PPs that I would just be very professional in your communications with company A when you do get your offer from company B.  They have to realize that you are a contract worker with no benefits and they aren’t going to fault you for taking advantage of a better opportunity.

Post # 15
Member
3798 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Something similar happened to me when I graduated college. No interviews/offers for MONTHS and then boom! two interviews/offers at once. The first place called and offered me the job, and I accepted, and the next day the better offer called and I accepted. I then called offer number one and told them that I had heard from an interview that I had a long time ago and they gave me an offer and I feel that it would be the better fit. They acted a little miffed, but I was professional and did nothing to burn a bridge on my part.

Just be honest and professional and it will be ok. Funny how life works out. 🙂

The topic ‘Advice: Declining/Accepting Jobs in sticky situation’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors