(Closed) Advice needed. Ring saga sadness

posted 8 years ago in Rings
  • poll: Should I get a temporary moissy or delay engagement until we save for a second diamond?

    get a moissy now, switch it later

    wait and be patient for a diamond

  • Post # 4
    116 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: July 2014

    @franklyn:  Thats horrible! Its supposed to be a joyus time for you, so sorry it is complicated. I know you said the moissy wasn’t your thing, so maybe a white sapphire or topaz? You might be able to resell it after you get the diaond ordeal settled. If it were me, I would want to tell everyone, so I would fake it until it was sorted out. Either way, all the best to you! Congrats on your engagement!

    Post # 5
    7550 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: April 2019

    I would wait and get a diamond, as you said you’re not very keen on moissy, so that’s probably not for you. How about a cheaper stand in ring in the meantime? I would still pursue getting the jeweller to replace the stone, as the chip was their fault! Did you have it insured? Could you maybe get a replacement that way?

    Post # 7
    1260 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2002

    @franklyn:  I feel so bad for you, and so angry with the jeweler for not owning up to his error.  What is the BBB saying?  Is the jeweler still offering to have it recut?  I’m just so sorry you’re dealing with this, through no fault of your own. ๐Ÿ™

    Post # 8
    9168 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

    @franklyn:  I wouldn’t get a moissy if you don’t like them- they’re not that cheap. I’d consider a high end CZ though…

    Post # 9
    4913 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

    How much is the diamond worth? I ask for 2 reasons – just to know how long it would take to save for the diamond and also to know if you maybe have something like small claims court in Canada that you can take him to. This way, you can sue him without paying a lawyer.

    Post # 10
    139 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

     If you don’t love moissy then don’t get it. I have it and love it for what it is – but I didn’t have any fixed ideas about diamonds either, I just wanted something durable, near colorless and sparkly. You’re obviously set on the diamond, so I’d either wait until you could afford it or put a CZ in the setting for now. If it’s a smaller stone you’re going for the likelihood of it being colorless and icy like a CZ is greater than if it were a 2 carat rock, and unless it will take you years to save up for the stone it probably won’t have time to scratch and cloud too much. Plus the cost of a moissanite is too high for something you don’t intend to keep if money is already an issue. 

    Post # 11
    9665 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: March 2014 - Chicago, IL

    @franklyn:  Sorry to hear this ๐Ÿ™ For now I would just get a cheap stand in CZ from a department store. Even if you did decide to get a moissy it wouldn’t be ready or arrive by the 18th. I’m sure they are feeling the Christmas rush right about now at places like MCo, C&C and Schubach’s. The lead time on a ring is 2 weeks (at least) with a few days shipping. Also, it’s that jewelers responsibility to replace your chipped stones. DO NOT BACK DOWN on that.

    ETA: Tell your parents and in-laws what happened to your ring, or say it’s off at the jewelers being sized. It won’t be the end of the world if they don’t see “the ring” right now. I know how you feel – my e-ring fell apart only a few weeks after my proposal so for the first 4 months of my engagement I was ringless. I got tired of telling everyone my first ring was a POS so when people asked I would just say it was at the jewelers getting sized.


    Post # 12
    1174 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

    sorry ๐Ÿ™ why won’t the jeweler replace the stone? If he was the one who chipped it, he should replace it…no questions asked. Did you sign something stating they weren’t at fault if they set the stone? If you didn’t they should have to replace it.

    Next question…..how bad is the stone damaged? Are you talking just chips taken out of the sides of the stone or did it actually split? I ask how bad the damage is because depending on where it is and how bad you could have it set in a bezel setting…you wouldn’t be able to see any damage (depending on where it’s it) and you would still have your stone…it may not be the mounting you wanted, but you still have your ring and your diamond.

    Do you have any pics of it?? All is not lost ๐Ÿ™‚ How big is the diamond?

    Sorry for all the questions…just tryingn to figure something out for you

    Post # 13
    2645 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2007

    @franklyn:  That sucks! Do you guys still have the diamond? How serious are the chips? Can it still be set/used? 

    I think that the jeweler saying that it chipped because of a feather is crazy, if they thought the stone would be damaged by setting it, then they should not have attempted it! 

    Maybe write about your experience on various vendor review sites and see if that encourages them to help you?


    Other than that, I don’t really think buying a moissanite sounds like the best route for you, if you worry you may regret it/don’t want to keep it, it’s really just a waste of money. 


    I agree with the suggestion of setting a CZ if you go with a temp stone, it will be significantly less expensive. Though, I hope you’re able to get someting done and have your diamond replaced. 


    Good luck! 


    Post # 14
    19 posts
    • Wedding: June 2014

    I completely understand being sentimental and being afraid of becoming attached to something you don’t love. I’m the same way with everything. I’d find a temporary ring that you love within your budget. E.g. you don’t  need to go crazy on price, but make sure you like it. It could even be your and his birthstones or another stone you like. Nothing says it has to be a diamond. Then, when you get your new ring, you can wear it on your right hand.

    As said before, definitely don’t back down on the jeweler. I would start telling everyone I can about how bad they are,  and make sure they know it. Word of mouth has a tendency to get around fast. See how much they care about their reputation. In any case, I wouldn’t want friend making the same mistake. 

    Post # 15
    6257 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2013

    @MintTurquoise:  agree with this. OP, this is bogus. The jeweler should be worried about his reputation! Worried enough to give you another stone or at least a hefty discount towards one. UGH. So sorry you are dealing with this.

    The topic ‘Advice needed. Ring saga sadness’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors