- 8 years ago
- Wedding: May 2007
I don’t think you should get a moissy if you’re not a fan. If you want a diamond, that’s what you should get, even if it takes times.
Someone mentione small claims court – I would think this is an option in your case. Perhaps the threat would be enough for him to provide you with a new stone. If you took the stone to other jewelers, and they’re willing to put their opinions in writing, it should be ok. Leaving bad reviews everywhere you can should also be an option, and might get his attention.
I just can’t get past the point that the jeweler isn’t responsible for replacing it!? Now I guess I don’t know details, but that happened to my mom and the jeweler replaced it…and it wasn’t because of any insurance! It makes me sick that they can damage something and not take responsibility for it! Moving forward, I would listen to what your gut is telling you to do. If you’re sentimental, then having to replace the original diamond that was ruined should be the issue, not the moissy that could be used as a stand in, right? Idk? I think that for $100 I would get the moissy for now, and just don’t tell anyone that its a moissy. And don’t tell anyone when you get the diamond replacement. Then, you can announce the engagement and begin planning.
I’ve made my peace with the fact that I won’t be getting the stone that my guy bought for me. It took some time, but I’m ok with it now. Thanks for pointing out that I am already replacing the stone, so replacing it twice shouldn’t be an issue. That helps!
I can understand not wanting the battle and the negativity that would come along with it. But, before you decide to give up though, you should at least talk to a lawyer, if you havent already. The fact of the matter is..YOU’RE ENGAGED! and it would be sad to not get to announce it and celebrate it because of that jeweler. Don’t give him the win over the emotional aspect of your engagement too! Yea, maybe he took that physical aspect from you guys momentarily, because he ruined your ring, I wouldn’t want him to take it all away from you.
Sounds awful on what happened and really sorry!
I actually saw an around .4 carat ring in a prawn shop the other day for 250! The stone was actually pretty white and clear.
I voted wait for a diamond. If you get a moissanite and want a diamond, you wont be happy with it I think. But if you are going to go ahead and use a stand in that you are going to replace eventually, just get a cz. Why spend the extra bucks for a moissanite.
1/3 carat diamonds are pretty inexpensive. Just wait and save up for a diamond. I would start looking on eBay where you can get them for less.
Here’s a G, SI1, .33 ct round diamond for $300. Buying SI1 diamonds is a great way to save money since they are eye clean, so they have the same effect as VS diamonds.
I am with the pawn shop, Ebay, or something similar club. Some of the sellers on Ebay can ship the item in a few days time! I have seen stones of all types larger than that for under $1,000! You could also get a lovely and large gemstone from there. If it is in a ring, it can easily be reset in your setting for a fee, by a better jeweler. I am disgusted with that person. I hear that individual jewelers are better than the big jewelry stores, but clearly that is not the case. He is a fool not to replace the stone! I am sure he could do so easily, as jewelers have a variety of diamonds. Good luck, and try not to let people steal your joy!
Here is my idea: Go to a pawn shop. Find a piece of jewelry you like with a stone you like in the right size. Buy it. Put the stone in your ring for now, until you can save up for a replacement stone, then put the temporary stone back in the original jewelry (earring? necklace? right hand ring?) and wear that sometimes as well. That way you don’t lose the sentimentality of the temporary stone because it will be back in its original jewelry that you can keep.
Small claims is almost always lawyer-less. Some places you cannot be represented in court by a lawyer. Definitely file a claim. It’s usually around 65 dollars to file.
The topic ‘Advice needed. Ring saga sadness’ is closed to new replies.