(Closed) Advice needed. Ring saga sadness

posted 7 years ago in Rings
  • poll: Should I get a temporary moissy or delay engagement until we save for a second diamond?
    get a moissy now, switch it later : (34 votes)
    37 %
    wait and be patient for a diamond : (57 votes)
    63 %
  • Post # 33
    748 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

I know of some reputable diamond cutters that charge only $20-50 to repair a diamond at least so that chips are less deep and do not continue to crack the diamond. If it is on the edges of the girdle it’s possible to lose less than .02cts in recutting. If you don’t mind paying the shipping Costs to NYC I can message you phone numbers. These are cutters I know from My previous jobs working in diamond supply houses. Currently not working myself but I have business cards from everybody in the diamond district. Don’t worry I’ve bought a chipped diamond and it was repaired enough that after mounting it it was well protected and perfect.

Post # 34
    1382 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

View original reply
    @franklyn  do you have the diamond report that maps all the inclusions? It seems to me like that would make very clear whether there was feathers or not, you could give that to the BBB & use it in small claims court if you go. Also, just so you know, i make jewelry and using pliers to adjust a stone in the setting is standard. But he obviously messed up and should own up to it.

Post # 35
    893 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2012

you guys are engaged! don’t hide it on account of some silly jeweler’s errors. I know he’s insistant that you have the ring first, but you can tell your parents the story about your horrid jeweler and I’m sure everyone would be understanding.

use your sapphire ring for now. sapphires are gorgeous!

I really love my moissy, but you seem to have a mental block against it, and in your case I wouldn’t bother with moissy. even if it’s beautiful you’ll always think it’s “not a diamond”, and that’s no way to enjoy your lifetime e-ring!

congrats on being engaged by the way, I hope all this gets sorted out. definitely file and be pushy, he can’t just get away with these stints.

Post # 36
    464 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 1993

I think you should go for the mossy and move on to the happy side of the engagement – the announcement!  A ring is just an outward symbol of your love.  Please don’t let this jerk take away your joy.  You can still have your house and your joy with a mossy.  Then, later, when things have settled down a bit you can decide to get a diamond or not.  I’m not one that believes in postponing engagements just for that outward symbol.  Your love is so much more than that!

Keep us posted.  I remember your earlier thread and I am so sorry your saga is continuing.

Post # 37
    464 posts
    Helper bee

Just an idea here.  Can a custom jeweler put the other stone’s pieces in some sort of contemporary setting?

Post # 39
    561 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

@franklyn  I don’t think you should feel like you need to delay your life for a piece of jewelry, even a piece of jewelry that is very important to you. No one else needs to know whether your stone is a moissy or a diamond, because it’s no one else’s business. I think if you and your fiance are ready to get married, then you should get married. Tons of people get engaged with a smaller diamond than they’d like, or a non-diamond, knowing that they’ll upgrade for their anniversary. That’s always an option. 🙂

With regard to the jeweler who damaged your diamond, the BBB has no power over a business to make things right with you. If you’re serious about getting the jeweler to replace the stone he damaged, you should take him to small claims court. Even the threat of a lawsuit could be enough for him to replace the stone.

Post # 41
    561 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

View original reply
    @franklyn  You could always get a stand-in to wear until you get your official ring. Berricle has some nice look-alikes.

Post # 42
    1228 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

Have you bought your wedding bands yet? I dont know how you feel about it, but you could always wear your wedding band as an engagement ring stand-in, that way you dont waste money on something you don’t want (a temporary moissy), but still have something on your hand. 

Post # 43
    464 posts
    Helper bee

View original reply
    @franklyn  Oh, that is going to be beautiful!  I hope you figure something out.  Would your Fiance be open to using a gemstone ring like your mentioned or going to the pawn shops to get a stand in and then moving it to your right hand later like PP have said?

The topic ‘Advice needed. Ring saga sadness’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors