- 8 years ago
- Wedding: October 2010
My two younger sisters are my only BMs. I live in Arizona, one lives in Washington and the other lives in Michigan where we grew up and the majority of our relatives live. Michigan is the location of our wedding.
Since flights are expensive, we are not able to get together as often as we would like. Vacation time at work is limited and I am using most of it for the actual wedding. It is impossible for me to go to Michigan without missing one day of work since it is such a long flight and not many options are offered on Friday evenings.
My sister in Washington brought up having my bridal shower in May when we both had planned to fly back to Michigan for our other sister’s college graduation. The graduation is on Saturday, so we thought having the shower on Sunday would make the most sense. Everyone was okay with this until we realized it was Mother’s Day.
Next, we started to consider having the shower on Friday night of that same weekend. My youngest sister who is graduating college pitched a fit. “I want to hang out with my friends on Friday night before we graduate”. Fair enough. I told her I wouldn’t have my shower on Mother’s Day because I felt it would be rude to our guests, so that is why we were considering Friday.
So what do I do now? I don’t want her to be upset or take away attention from her graduation weekend. But the reality is I can’t fly back to Michigan again before the wedding if I go in May to her graduation.
Here are my options:
1. Have my shower on Mother’s Day. Any suggestions on how this would work given that most of my shower guests have their own families they want to be with?
2. Have my shower the Friday before, and only 1 of my BMs would be there. Also, risk having a very upset younger sister/BM.
3. Not attend my sister’s graduation in May and fly back a different weekend for a shower. However, this means that my sister in Washington would not be there, since her time off of work is also limited. Also, my youngest sister would be upset that I missed her graduation. I can’t do both- not enough vacation time.
4. Have my shower the week of the wedding. I can only fly back 4 days before the wedding, so it would be a lot of events very close together.
5. Not have a shower at all in Michigan where 95% of my wedding guests live.
Let me know what you all think!