(Closed) Affordable prices start at $3995?!

posted 7 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 3
10366 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

Jersey is really expensive. An established photog in that area probably starts at around $3000. When my friend was getting married there, she was shocked too. Make sure you get quotes for multiple photogs you like, and really look at what is in the package. I’d expect that they would probably offer image rights, full editing, an album, and an engagement shoot for that price. (small pro flush mount albums start at like $400 wholesale – not including the time of the photog to design the layouts and go back and forth with you, for example)

Post # 5
5778 posts
Bee Keeper

You’ll find prices all over the place, especially considering where you are. North/central Jersey prices are significantly higher than where we are, but it depends on what you want. Keep looking and check on the local boards to see if they have any recommendations.

We used two who were worlds apart in price (and the cheaper one was better).

Post # 6
10366 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

She ended up hiring me instead ;-). She was trying to stay within a tight budget, and she knew I do a lot of photography (i’m really a scientist, though). She just couldn’t afford it!

I think if you’re willing to negotiate by removing things from packages to get the price down, you’ll have more luck. Also, look fo rpeople who have experience but aren’t super well established yet. For my wedding, I got a photographer I looooooved but was only in her second full season. She now charges almost double what we paid when we booked her in 2009!

Post # 7
241 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

@DesireeAnne:  I just sent you a PM with our photogs information. We’re right across the bridge(pick one ๐Ÿ™‚ from you in Philly. She is awesome, extremely talented and artistically gifted. Let me know what you thnink.

Best wishes with your search!

Post # 10
5778 posts
Bee Keeper

Don’t look in Haddonfield! Their prices are double everywhere else! lol

Post # 11
5147 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I had originally thought photography would be around $1000-$1500. I ended up paying $3000. (But that includes engagement photos, destination wedding photography, and my reception back home.)

Still, photography was definately a “sticker shock” item for me!

Post # 13
399 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@DesireeAnne: Have you considered looking in PA/DE? From what I understand there is no sales tax on photo packages in Delaware which would save you quite a lot of money. I know you’d like to use someone local but you may be able to find someone in a neighboring state that is priced differently just based on their market, cheaper cost of living, etc. I think a lot of photographers like to expand their coverage into neighboring states to build a larger network and really just for a change of pace, so you might find someone who’d really like to shoot a Jersey wedding. 

Post # 14
144 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I just starting looking myself…..(i live close to LBI)…and there are a number of fabulous photographers….but the prices are ridicules!!  I have decided to start asking my friends if they have friends….etc.  The lowest package price i found started at $4000 and it only includes one album and not much more. 

Post # 15
2788 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

Our area is sooooooo expensive for everything, DA ๐Ÿ™ major boo.  I’d suggest contacting them anyway and seeing if they are willing to negotiate.  Good luck with the search!

Post # 16
786 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I noticed that too in Vancouver.. Several packages STARTED at $3,000 – $4,000, which gets much more expensive when you add albums and extra hours/extra shooters..  That’s for the high demand or popular photographers that advertise a lot and you see at wedding shows..  It isn’t cheap here.

My photographer was decently priced compared to what else is out there..  It was $2700 for 8 hours of shooting and an assistant, discs and all pics, editing, thank you cards, no album.

The topic ‘Affordable prices start at $3995?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors