(Closed) After Ectopic: What to Expect?

posted 4 years ago in TTC
Post # 2
Member
799 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

View original reply
BeeBlake :  Sometime shortly after my 2nd dose of MTX injection I had the heavier bleeding as you did after surgery.  Once my HCG level was measured under 1, I started my period about 1.5-2 weeks later.  My periods have been regular since then and somewhat getting back to normal cycle lengths (31, 34 days).  Also my HCG slowed in the end.  Measured 4.1 and when it was checked a week later it was under 1, which is what my RE wanted.  And then period was 1.5-2 weeks after that.

Post # 3
Member
4093 posts
Honey bee

I only had surgery, not methotrexate, but I don’t recall doing anything for follow up. I didn’t even have HCG checks since everything was surgically removed. My inciscions were checked about a week later, and my period came relatively on time. I waited two months to TTC again per my doctor’s orders, but it was business as usual otherwise. I’m sorry for your loss.

Post # 5
Member
2899 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I had a d&c rather than an ectopic, but I was temping and tracking my cycles, and for me it seemed like once my hcg dropped to zero, my cycle kind of started again. So if the d&c was “cycle day one” then I bled for a few days, had temps all over the place until day 17, when I finally got a negative FRER. I ovulated fourteen days later, on CD 31 and got my period twelve days after that. 

Post # 7
Member
474 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

Classing my D&C as day 1, I got my period on day 34. It took nearly 3 weeks for me to get a negative pregnancy test, and I ovulated pretty much the same day, with my first period coming about 12 days after that. My next cycle was 33 days and this month is on track to be about 29. 

So sorry to hear about your loss xx

Post # 8
Member
2899 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

View original reply
BeeBlake :  I’m so sorry for your loss, too. I was following along on here and my heart really broke for you. I hope you have the easiest possible recovery and the fastest route to your rainbow baby. I’d definitely recommend temping if you can! I felt like it was super important for me to be able to reassure myself that the waiting wouldn’t go on forever. And because your first post-loss period may be extra heavy (mine was) it was nice to have a bit of warning that it was coming. 

Post # 9
Member
1188 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

It took some time for my levels to drop as well, and I had low levels to begin wtih. I only had one round of mtx. It is a strange feeling when your body still feels pregnant. I would think now that your levels are at a 6, your levels should drop under 5 very shortly. For me, my period came about two weeks later after my levels dropped to 0. It was around the time I would have expected it to come that month if I hadnt had an ectopic.  I have heard some women have their period as soon as numbers drop. I was concerned my period would be very heavey and bad cramps(I normally have bad cramps anyway) But I was surprised I that it was actually lighter than usual and hardly any cramps. I hope it is this way for you.

I have commented on your last post and again my heart goes out to you. I know it is so hard to resume normal life while you are waiting in limbo for numbers to drop. Once mine did things got better. I hope you are surrounded by people and things you love and feel free to keep posting here!!!

I wish you a speedy recovery!!

 

 

Edit- Also FYI my numbers were so low they thought I had a chemical at first. They scheduled me to get my levels checked a week later. My period came a week late so I assumed I it was a chem! I was sad but anxious to try again next month! However, when they checked my HCG levels they had raised signifigantly but they werent doubling. Thats when they suspected Ectopic. They were so surprised I could even have a period with my numbers rising and kept asling me if I was sure??(I was like well I think I have had periods long enough to know!!!) Since I thought I had a period I figured it was all over so I was ever so shocked when I found myself in the cancer center to get the MTX bc it was a chemo!! I was alone, I didnt think I needed any one to come with me bc I had no idea it was ectopic. It was awful I cried right in the doc offices. The nurses and docs were so kind to me. It was awful and my heart aches for any women to have to go through it.

We were told to wait at least 2 full cycles befoe TTC again. We ended up waiting longer bc I needed a break. Just started back up again in sept.  Scared it will happen again, since now I have a 15% chance of it happening again, but RE reminded me that is an 85% it wont. That made me feel better.

Anyways I know it is an awful time for you and DH especially bc you have been triyng for some time. If you ever want to chat private message me. I know for me talking about it helped.

My prayers are with you.

Post # 11
Member
1202 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

My bleeding stopped after the surgery.  I had been bleeding for weeks off and on before the surgery.  I got my next period about a month after surgery.  Ilost a tube in the surgery.  My doctor recommended having an HSG done before resuming TTC.  I had that done 3 months after surgery.  My other tube is clear.

 

As far as emotionally goes, I held it together until about 6 months after surgery and then I lost it.  My husband and I started fighting a bunch and having trouble.  The stress of the loss, our TTC struggles, our toddler, and our demanding jobs that don’t pay enough, we hit a very bad place.  We started therapy together and me individually and we are doing much better.  We are still TTC and we get to evaluate our options in February 2017, so that is nice at least.  For a while I was terrified of another ectopic, but I know that I will get early monitoring so that is reassuring.

Post # 12
Member
172 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I had no bleeding prior but had a rupture tube that required surgery.  I bleed for a few days following the surgery and then got my period about a month after the surgery.  They didn’t track my HCG numbers, but, I don’t think you necessarily get your period right when it hits zero. 

After ectopic, they did the HSG (10 days or so after first period) as well.  I got pregnant about 5 months later and then it took about 3 months the next time.  With both pregnancies after, as soon as I get a positive test I let my doctor know and they track my numbers until I get about 6 weeks and then do a sonogram to determine embroyo location.  

Post # 14
Member
1202 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

View original reply
BeeBlake :  Thank you.  It really has been a bad year, and I’m ready for this bad time to be over… I hope you get your BFP soon too!

The topic ‘After Ectopic: What to Expect?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors