After the wedding… viewing your budget in 20/20 hindsight

posted 2 years ago in Money
Post # 15
1256 posts
Bumble bee

i would have skipped the entire thing and saved the money. i didn’t want the wedding in the first place, it was for my husband. the only thing i was interested in was the pictures and our photograper turned out to be disappointing. luckily the whole wedding was under 10k so it could have been worse, and my husband did have a lovely time. 🙂

Post # 16
2928 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

In hindsight, I am super happy with how we spent our money for our wedding. Splurged on the venue, open bar, and photographer. Saved a ton doing DIY decor, flowers, cake and DJ, skipping the videographer, ordering my dress and veil online, and having a Sunday wedding (despite all the comments on the bee that say not to do any of these things!)

Post # 17
321 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

I should add my one expense I regret but granted, it was small:  the guest book.  We spent about $45 and we are now the proud owners of a 40 page book with two pages filled, about one third of our guests wrote in it.

I am Miss Thrifty and although I am sentimental, on some things I was like:  I don’t care.  Pearl bracelets from Goodwill?  Yay!  Clip on earrings that are rhinestone?  Super! An inexpensive rhinestone headband?  Great!  I did wear my real pearl necklace from my aunt/godmother though! 

Shoes were $3.50 from Payless.  I heard too many stories of girls dropping serious cash on shoes only to take them off early and no one cared!!! 

Post # 18
1271 posts
Bumble bee

minnesotabride17 :  We had the same on the guest book! I ended up taking the messages that people had written in cards and adding those to the guest book if they hadn’t written something in it themselves, but it’s still not even half full. I wouldn’t bother with one at all if I were to do it again.

I haven’t regretted anything – and still paying some of it off 0% credit cards. We went all inclusive on the venue so the late night snack which was barely touched didn’t cost extra (we swapped it for a dessert course). The majority of cake wasn’t eaten either and we took a lot to work with us afterwards but I pretty much bought that for me anyway and I was super happy with it.

I could’ve spent more stocking up the sweet table because it was incredibly popular so some things ran out early – I guess, I didn’t get a look in to a lot of it! Similarly although we had 50% extra sparklers, because I hadn’t specified how to distribute them we used them up a lot quicker than I’d expected and our photographers weren’t in the room at the time which was a shame.

I was glad we hadn’t done favours, and I’d been talked out of an open bar (extremely rare for UK weddings) but my Dad had put a tab behind it and it didn’t come to much at all. I think if he hadn’t, and I’d found out that the spends were so low, I’d have been disappointed I hadn’t done it myself!

Post # 19
321 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

BeeDD :  Yep on that guest book!  I came up with the idea (nothing new, I know) that I would ask people coming to our house after the wedding for any entertaining to sign it so it keeps getting used.  I love love love my $60 Amazon dress.  It came in late August (wedding was 10/7/17) and the envelope (no box) was like 6×8 – I was like……uh oh.  

We regret nothing either – what a nice feeling, no?  My first wedding (to my ex in the early 90’s) was so filled with what OTHERS wanted.  This time?  We were 52 and guess what – small, semi-formal wedding, you know, like the one I wanted the first time?  laughing  I would do it all again!!  Good for you on that open bar.  Here is a photo of me and my awesome hubby:IMG_9735.small

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors