(Closed) Age and 401K Contributions

posted 10 years ago in Money
  • poll: How much money do you have in your 401K?

0-$5K

$5-10K

$10-20K

$20-30K

$30-50K

$50-75K

$75-100K

$100-150K

$150-200K

• Post # 17
    10357 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2010

View original reply
    @Nati-Lyte: The stock market gained 11% this year. If you have well-diversified funds, you will be in good shape right now while the economy rebounds. You’re missing out on the most important growth years for your retirement. You should really educate yourself more on the market and investment – otherwise you’ll really fall short when it comes time to retire (and lose out on money due to inflation eating away at your funds!)

Post # 18
    947 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

@crayfish: Thanks for the unsolicited financial advice; however, I think my financial situation is different from most.  I currently receive 1 tax free pension that is modified every year based on inflation and cost of living.  When I retire, I’ll have another pension (this one taxed, but adjusts as well).  I max my IRA (5K) and my 401K now (16K).  To me, it doesn’t really matter whether or not I could have made more money in the stock market because I’m not dependent on the stock market to retire and live the lifestyle I live now.  

Further, just because we can stomach different levels of risk, does not make me financially uneducated, just means I invest at the level that is comfortable for me. 

Post # 19
    998 posts
    Busy bee

I am not sure how much I have in my current job since I have only been there 7 months. But I contribute 5% and they match it at 9%. My previous job had either 2-3k in it because I wasn’t doing much with how much I was allowed to contribute. I really do need to roll mine over though.

Post # 20
    6014 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: March 2012

I go out on a limb…. well i did !! I worked for a national retail chain that was bought out by another one … that has a red star in their logo.  Anyway i made out like a bandit.  My PATHETIC 401k split and i walked with a good amount.  Now i’m more conservative, but then .. i played the riskiest  investments … and Contributed the most i could afford.  They matched up to 6% but after i paid off my car, I put in the amount i was paying for the car to the 401k.  The time to play the risky game is when your young.  AND put in as much as you can afford.   

I needed a transmission so i pulled out some money from that .. and repaid it with in 30days … so no penalties

Post # 21
    5147 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

I’m 27.

I have about $15K in my 403(b), which is the non-profit organization equivilent of a 401(k). And I have about $1K in a Roth IRA I just started a couple months ago.

My fiance is 26 and has about $27K in his 401(k) and $3K in his Roth IRA.

Sad thing is, we both graduated from college the same year! But I was unemployed for an entire year a couple years ago, and that really screwed up my investments. 🙁

Post # 22
    252 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

Im so jealous of all you ladies! I didn’t know what a 401k was until (literally) about a months ago and I have been at my job for almost 4 years. Im 24 and only have about $150 in mine lol

Post # 23
    2538 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2009

I started mine about 2 years ago and I contribute $1k a month (10 months  a year). I also right at the beginning put $5k into a ROTH IRA.  I don’t keep very close track but I guess I must have a little less than $20k, plus the IRA.  I wish I would have started sooner (I’m 30, started at 28ish) but at least I’m doing it now.  I have a 403b instead of a 401k because I’m a teacher so no matching : (.  Do companies still do that anymore?

Post # 24
    272 posts
    Helper bee

I started my 401K when I was 25.  I started with 5% of my paycheck and now, I am up to 20% (which is our maximum).  

Do it as much as you can because you won’t see any of the benefit.

Post # 25
    10357 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper

View original reply
    @JaneyD:Yeah, my company matches. Mine puts in 2% whether I do anyhting or not, and will match an additional 4%. I contribute 10% myself, so it’s actually 16% of my income going to my 401k monthly thanks to my employer!

Post # 26
    10357 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper

View original reply
    @Nati-Lyte: If you are educated on what you are doing, it isn’t very risky. The past two years of the market were outstanding for stock investments. It isn’t particularly risky if you know what you are doing, therefore there isn’t anything to “stomach”. Most 401ks allow you to shift funds around instantly – so if you keep up with the markets and projections on a daily basis like I do, you know what’s coming. I do think that investing the way you have is throwing money down the drain. Obviously a thread such as this lends itself to financial advice, since it is a discussion about investing. No need to be so defensive. If you’re ok with missing out on thousands upon thousands of dollars that could go towards your family or your family’s education, more power to you.

Post # 27
    3343 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

I only contribute 2% of my paycheck into my 401K.  My employer doesn’t match and I’m still in my 20s.

Post # 28
    806 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

I’m not sure the total amount in my 401k accounts, probably around 60k.  I’m 30 and have been putting in 10-15% continuously since age 22.

I stopped following it too closely when it took a massive beating in 2008 – too depressing.

I also have a Roth IRA with about 10k in it.

Post # 29
    11324 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: February 2011

Between 5 and 10k. I’m 26 but I’m a lawyer which means I didn’t start working until about 2 years ago. I also cut my contributions down significantly this year to help pay for the wedding. After the wedding both my Fiance and I are going to seriously up our auto withdrawals. 

(also, its not a 401k, but a traditional IRA. Lawyers don’t get 401Ks… boo.)

Post # 30
    12 posts
    Newbee

I have $18k fully vested in my 401(k). I have another $5k that is not vested from my firm’s profit sharing plan (we get a lump sum on top of our individual contribution rather than a match).

If we are counting Roth IRAs (I rolled over my former employer’s 401(k) because their fees sucked) I have about $10k from my rollover in my roth, and $5k that I socked away on my own.

I am 23 and am extremely Type A. I grew up in a pretty poor household (in $$$ only… my parents are two of my best friends and did the best they could) and promised myself that my kids would not have to live through what I did.

The topic ‘Age and 401K Contributions’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors