(Closed) Alcohol at Reception: Box Wine & Plastic ‘Glasses’?

posted 8 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
174 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I think those glasses are great. I have been considering the same exact things and I would use those…

Also on the box wine. I have also considered this option and though about buying attractive glass carafes or decanters for the wine to be dispensed into so it is quite so obvious…

I found these onsale at crate and barrel…

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=4350&f=25496

Post # 4
5890 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2012

love the carafe idea.

Post # 5
1498 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I would not serve box wine at my wedding, if you do, I would take @aitkenpatty:‘s advice and put it in something so it isn’t so noticeable.

Post # 6
2538 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Okay, this is just me, but there are lots of ideas on cheap, good wine. We regularly buy wine for under $10 a bottle. Have you thought of things like that? I’m just a regular wine drinker, so box wine doesn’t sit well with me honestly. I do like @aitkenpatty‘s idea about decanters. In the end, do what you can afford and go with it because, as long as you’re fine, it’ll be great.

Post # 7
1927 posts
Buzzing bee

I would think that buying boxes of wine and carafes would end up being more expensive then just buying cases of bottled wine.  There are plenty of inexpensive wines out there that you can buy by the case at reasonable prices.  If I were you I would look into that rather than using boxed wine.  Not only because it takes away from the formality of a wedding but also because it tastes bad.

Post # 8
1498 posts
Bumble bee

And I wouldn’t recommend serving wine from the champange glasses you posted.

I think getting the classier plastic glasses from the grocery store would be more economical and more appropriate for wine than the champagne glasses.

Post # 9
174 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

@mcnetn3:great point… I misread and thought those were good for champagne… I would not use those for wine either.

Post # 10
2867 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I think you could just do a bottle of wine or two on each table and then you don’t have to worry about putting it in anything else (because I think once you buy carafes you’ll be close to the same price as buying two bottles). Plus you could make little custom labels for cheap.

I agree about not using the champagne glasses (unless you were ONLY going to have champagne). But if you want to order from there why not these? They seem more suitable for wine.

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/browse/processRequest.do?demandPrefix=11&mode=Browsing&requestURI=processProductsCatalog&xsaleSku=3/760&sku=12/2502

Post # 11
2821 posts
Sugar bee

Soooo….in my opinion they make a lot of really tasty wine in boxes nowadays.  I had one friend that had the wine served straight from the box and no one really cared, hers was a laid back back yard wedding and was one of the most fun weddings I’ve been to. 

But it could look nicer in the decanters if you’re worried about it.  We put a bottle of red and white on each table and it worked out well, but if you think they would go to waste I wouldn’t bother (we got ours from bottle king online).  I don’t love the glasses you picked out though, but plastic could be fine.  Otherwise, if one of my friends was getting married I have lots of wine glasses they could borrow.  Nothing super fancy but honestly if it was me I’d prefer the look of mismatched wine glasses to plastic. 

Post # 12
1778 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

That could actually be a really neat wedding accessory, to borrow wine glasses from a lot of friends/family and do different sets of glasses on each table.  It would be interesting.

I would go with 2 bottles per table or bottles at a bar, the boxes and decanters will be more expensive than bottles.  Get something simple. 

OR depending on your wedding colors (like if you have pink) you could just do one type of blush wine and make that your signature drink and save lots of money!

I’m always a fan of berry wines which are cheap and come in a lot of different flavors- try balicwinery.com, I love theirs!

Post # 13
456 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I think boxed wine is perfectly fine! but yes, unless the boxed wine fits with the style of your wedding, i would put it in something else, and, as the others mentioned, that may be more expensive than just getting some cheap bottles.  I think both are good options though (i think some boxed wine tastes good!)

Post # 14
1150 posts
Bumble bee

before my wedding we are hosting a $10 wine tasting to select two reds and one white for the wedding reception. Just a suggestion and a chance to have another party!

Post # 15
678 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

You could easily place a couple of bottles per table and there are good one’s under $10…if you’re near a Trader Joe’s that sells wine, they have terrific options for about $5-$10 per bottle!

Oh, and I love the glasses!!  

The topic ‘Alcohol at Reception: Box Wine & Plastic ‘Glasses’?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors