(Closed) ALL BEES… Opinions & Info on Selling on ETSY

posted 7 years ago in Technology
Post # 3
5179 posts
Bee Keeper

show us the pics! If others are doing it, I dont see why you couldnt. I personally like to see something in person before I buy it for my house..but thats just me!

Post # 4
14496 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

My mom is an art photographer and looked into it years ago.  Her opinion was that it was rather expensive to sell on Etsy.  She actually started her own web site and runs the payments through paypal.

I have never bought any art off of Etsy, but I get all I want from my mom and some artists friends of hers.

Post # 5
4887 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I have an etsy shop and to be honest, it just sits there.  I pay my monthly dues to them for keeping it up for me, but the sales are not happening.  I’ve sold a little bit but mostly to my friends who know I have a shop.  I also sell my jewelry in the shop I physically operate for a living, and the response has been MUCH greater here than on etsy.. there’s just too much to look at, too much competition, tons of price points.

I say go for it, see if it works for you, but don’t have high expectations.  It’s fun none the less ! ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 9
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

I sell on Etsy. I have somewhere between 3-5 sales/week. It’s not a ton, but I also don’t pay for the promotions, etc, so I think that’s decent so far. It’s slowly building. Some weeks are slower than others.

You pay $0.20/listing and then 3.5% of each sale. Then Paypal takes a few percent off of your sale as well, so it’s not like if you sell a $10 item you’re making $10 so keep that in mind. There’s a helpful page about Etsy fees here.

I think for me what’s worked is having a niche item. If you have something that sets you apart or isn’t offered on Etsy, you’ll get more hits and more sales. If you have the same as 100 other vendors, you’re going to get lost in the shuffle. Personally I really love it and I’m having lots of fun with the sales I’ve had. It gives me a little extra money that I just keep in my Paypal account so when I see something I like online I can buy it from my balance (ie tickets to my high school reunion, or more stuff from Etsy, LOL!). Plus since my wedding is over with now I still get to make wedding stuff for fun for other brides and I get paid for it! I love it!

Post # 11
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

@emersynsmommy35: It’s free to set up your store, and only $0.20/item to list. So if you open a store, list 5 items for a dollar and never sell any, oh well, it cost you a dollar, LOL! And if you sell some, then great! That’s fantastic! I know I plan on buying some artwork from Etsy for our house after we renovate ๐Ÿ™‚  I love those photos of your daughter, they’re gorgeous!

Post # 12
3068 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I have been selling on Etsy for 3 years and get about 5-10 sales a week. I love it because it paid half of my wedding but they do charge ALOT so I end up paying like, $250 a month just in fees :(:( I hear artfire.com is good for art and wayyy cheaper

Post # 13
2867 posts
Sugar bee

I think for ANY sort of online store you have to have some way of promoting it otherwise it will “just sit there” – of course people may stumble upon it but if you’re getting mentioned in blogs or have sample prints in local stores with purchase information and a business card for your etsy site then you’ll attract more customers.

Also keep it fresh. If you have 80 photos maybe start out with 40 and then add some on a consistant basis so if you DO have people frequenting they won’t just see the same things every time.

Post # 14
511 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I have an etsy store that I just started. It’s very fun and they make interacting with customers a breeze! I do recommend doing some reading on online marketing however, cause it’s not enough to just put it up. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck!

Post # 15
2872 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

Ohh good ideas bees.

I just opened my ETSY shop and I am hoping to have a few items completed in the next few weeks.

๐Ÿ™‚ YAY

Post # 16
511 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I wish we could have a post sharing etsy shops. But I guess that would be against TOS. :/

The topic ‘ALL BEES… Opinions & Info on Selling on ETSY’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors