Post # 1
I am pretty clueless when it comes down to this stuff.. I know the jist of things such as changing my name, address, legal information that all relates to that.. but when it comes down to all the insurance stuff (car/health/etc.) what exactly is the whole shebang list of things that needs to be done to go from family to marriage life.
Post # 3
@ellex3: You may want to consider the following:
- Adding your new husband to your health insurance plan or vice versa depending on your insurance needs and the cost — FFI and I found out that our employers charge high fees for adding a spouse to the company health plan so we decided we would each keep our own separate health plan through our jobs.
- Adding your new husband to your car insurance or vice versa – We just got quotes from both of our insurance companies and went with the cheaper one. Many insurance companies will give a discount if you are married.
- Adding each other as the beneficiary to your life insurance and/or 401k accounts
- Getting your rings insured
- If either of you owns a house, getting the other person added as a named insured to the homeowner’s policy.
Post # 4
We have literally done nothing legal (other than the whole getting legally married thing). I am not changing my name so don’t have to do that, and we work together so already have the same insurance.
We do need to get our rings appraised though, so thanks for the reminder!
Post # 5
Go see a Lawyer (Notary Public… depending on where you live) to write / file a legal will.
Everyone who is A GROWN UP with real things, and real loved ones… should write a will. Being a responsible person means taking care of yourself in case of an emergency, as well as looking out for your loved ones (those left behind… they’ll have enough to contend with they don’t need the legal / government hassle of dealing with an Estate in limbo)
You can review your will / renew from time to time as life changes (every 10 to 20 years) or starting out you can just word it so that it covers off the important stuff (such as if you have kids in the future etc)