Post # 1
I can’t believe the amount of people involved in our wedding as ceremony participants or as attendees telling me that I’m doing it wrong compared to every other wedding they have supposedly been involved with. Its really driving me quite mad…
– So apparently you’ve NEVER been involved with a wedding where the significant others of the wedding party have also been invited to the rehearsal dinner? Well, guess what – I’m not telling my bridesmaid’s husband that flew in from D.C. that he has to sit in the hotel while we are off having dinner.
– So you’ve NEVER EVER EVER SEEN in your life a wedding processional that is just the bridesmaids while the groomsmen are at the front of the church waiting with the Groom? Well, guess what – most of the weddings I have been to have the bridesmaids walk up individually and then walk back down the aisle with their respective groomsman at the end. And that’s what aesthetically I like so that’s what we are doing.
– So you’ve never been to a wedding that had just a flowergirl and not a ringbearer? Well, guess what? We wouldn’t be having any kids in the wedding at all but my niece that I’ve waited years for was born last year and she is the flower girl. Picking a ringbearer would’ve caused division in the family so we left that out.
– So you’ve never been to a Friday afternoon wedding and think that if we have it on a Friday that we should have planned it for 6 pm instead of 3:30 pm? Well, guess what – if we had it at 6 pm, you all would’ve been driving in rush hour traffic to get there. This way you can check into the hotel, change, take the shuttle over and enjoy the afternoon.
– So you’re the girlfriend of a groomsman and you tell the Best Man that if your boyfriend walks down the aisle with a “pretty girl” there is going to be Hell to pay? Well, guess what – then don’t come to our wedding. I’m having them walk down the aisle at the end of the ceremony, not giving them a hotel key and telling them to consummate a friendship.
Sorry to rant, but I’m so tired of people telling me what they think I should do/not do. Anyone else going through anything like this?
Post # 3
my MOTHER is driving me crazy like that!! Well this won’t work, because every wedding I’ve been to does THIS instead…
WHO CARES! if it doesn’t work, then it doesn’t! but you have the right to choose how and what you want it to be like!
She thinks I cannot have a late dinner (8pm – ceremony isn’t until 6) because it will take everyone THREe HOURS TO EAT! I’m having a buffet! it won’t take THREE HOURS! and if it does.. WHO cares! Then she’s like, well, if they take three hours, you won’t need your midnight pizza buffet. Again- OH WELL! I want it. some people will be hungry for it (read: ME) so we’re having it! lol.
Wow, your rant just sparked one outta me!haha.. But yes girl, I know exactly what you are feeling, and I say just stick with your guns, and literally start telling people that. If they bug you and say they’ve never seen it this way before, just say, well – FIRST TIME FOR EVERYTHING!!
hope you have a great and unique wedding!! 🙂
Post # 4
This drives me up a wall. You did make me laugh though… “I’m having them walk down the aisle at the end of the ceremony, not giving them a hotel key and telling them to consummate a friendship” hahaha So true! I really dislike when people say “that’s not how it’s usually done…” well, maybe I’m not going for how it’s usually done! Maybe I don’t want my wedding to be the same as every single other wedding out there! Maaaybe I want to be unique and not have a “dry” wedding that, like I said, has been done. I won’t be playing “Single Ladies” when I toss my bouquet, when my fiance goes in after the garter we won’t have “Mission Impossible” blasting, and my father daughter dance will not be butterfly kisses. I’m doing a buffet style meal, because less food is wasted that way-people grab what they’ll actually eat! And my dog is my ring bearer.
Every time someone says “but all the weddings I’ve ever been to had ______”, I respond with “well, you haven’t been to my wedding yet.” Guess all the people that say this will no longer be able to once we’re done with them! 🙂
Don’t give in, keep doing what you’re doing, and soon enough people will have new experiences to share thanks to you!
Post # 5
This is why I’m eloping 🙂
Just tell them to F off lol.
Post # 6
OP that sucks you are deaing with this. Everynoe has their opinion on how weddings should be. I have been in a wedding where our partners were invited to the rehearsal and Ive also been in a wedding (same wedding actually) where we walked up to the altar alone, the groomsmen were already up there. So if they tell you its never been done show them this thread because Im sure you’ll have a lot of bee’s standing up for you! Also side note………………. “I’m having them walk down the aisle at the end of the ceremony, not giving them a hotel key and telling them to consummate a friendship.” HAHAHAAHAHAHAHA
Post # 7
Lol, if I had a nickel for every time I heard someone say “nobody does that” or “everybody does this”, I’d be rich! And sadly enough I’m having a fairly traditional wedding, I can’t imagine the uproar a more offbeat bride must have to deal with.
Post # 8
I love this!! Or I’ve been getting “Well you have to have this!! But you MUST wear this”.
-No I do not want an old school banner with our names on it behind us, maybe it was nice in the 80’s but not now.
– NO I dont have to wear a veil, and I’m not “less of a bride” if I dont wear one..and
-YES its ok if my ring bearer is a girl. WHOCARES!!! And yes she wants to wear a suit, so shes wearing one.
Post # 9
@Ashley_B: The “less of a bride” thing if you don’t wear a veil cracks me up. After your wedding will you be “less married” because you didn’t wear one? People are so close-minded!!! I give props to people who do things differently. It’s better than just having another cookie-cutter wedding.
Post # 10
@Brideonabudgetlauren: OR the best reason for me wearing one….so people know who the bride it….WELL…pretty sure I’m the only one going to be wearing a white dress and walking down the aisle…
Post # 11
You made me spit out my coke! This is hilarious!
Why do people think that it’s acceptable to tell a bride what she should do or not do for her wedding? UGH! I would answer each and every one of those people… “If you want to do that (or not do that) for your wedding, that’s okay, but this is MY wedding…. thank you very much.” And have the greatest, biggest, huge smile on your face!
Post # 12
WTF is wrong with people?!?! I’ve witnessed all of the above. People need to relax and keep their mouths shut.
Post # 13
@Frazis: hahaha i have tried to picture my father dancing to butterfly kisses and honestly its so absurd we wouldnt make it throught the whole song. i’ll let him pick whatever classic rock song he wants and it will be OK…
also, no garter or boquet toss for me! i am positivew e will all make it through the wedding alive regardless of whether those thing happen!
Post # 14
hahahaha – I love the “consummate the friendship” line!
Post # 15
- Wedding: September 2013 - B&B
I have gotten this one from several people when I tell them I’m not having any flowers at my wedding. Not for bouquets, centerpieces, etc. People are like “but you HAVE to have flowers at a wedding!!” Says who, the constitution? Parliament? The FBI? The Pope? Nah.
Post # 16
Enjoying (not) the same thing here. Our main critic is a groomsman who has no filter and who is mainly ignorant to the idea of a casual wedding.
- I asked via a facebook post for help finding a violinist within our budget. His response? “Really? Just play a cd. U r supposed to be on a tight budget but trying to get stuff as if u were on a big budget.” HEY JERK, that’s why I said “within our budget”. I was sure I could find a musician below the prices I had been quotes (and subsequently HAVE found and contracted one!) Also, renting an audio setup from the venue was over the amount we had allotted for ceremony music anyway. Thanks for your expert opinion, though.
- When my fiance told him where the wedding is (downtown Chicago, he lives in the suburbs), groomsman told Fiance that it would be “hard to get to.” This from the guy who got married in Las Vegas…
- When he found out we were having a cocktail reception instead of sitdown meal, he told us we might as well not do anything at all. Sorry if having appetizers and drinks is below you at 2pm… we’ll happily take a donation for the $140/pp price we were quoted for a sit down dinner.
What really gets me is that I am one of the most frugal people I know– I clip coupons, shop sales and clearances and have made it my aim to stay in our budget for this wedding (and everyday life, my Fiance is currently unemployed).
Groomsman has reallllly started to irk me with all these ignorant comments, and Fiance blew up at him last week for being so rude. Just because we’re on a budget doesn’t mean we’re having a Dollar Store wedding– it means we have a certain amount allotted for each expense and need to stick to it in order to not go into debt for our big day. Just because YOU expect something to be a certain way doesn’t mean that I do! Come enjoy our day, have some sliders, a cupcake and a beer and go home. We’re going to have a blast… hope you do too!