Post # 1
My Darling Husband and I have been together for nine and a half years and I have worn a white gold ring on my finger finger since our five year anniversary. We got engaged Feb 2010 so I swapped my “promise” ring for my engagement ring, also white gold. We then got married in March 2011 and I added a white gold band to the set.
To begin with, my wedding band was a little smaller than my engagement ring and promise ring, probably about 1/4 of a size off. It was snug but not uncomfrotable so I didn’t bother resizing it. However, this past month things have totally blown up.
First it started off as a red indentation and I thought the ring just might be too small. Then the skin started hurting, swelling, itching and peeling off and hasn’t stopped since. I took both rings off for a couple weeks to let the skin mostly heal and then tried putting just the engagement ring back on. The skin got a little red but didn’t itch or peel so I added back the wedding band and boom, within 12 hours it was itching and peeling again. I’ve since taken both rings off and am just going naked for now 🙁
Has anyone else developed an allergy to their rings? My guess is it’s the nickle in the white gold. I have a history of skin allergies since I’ve been allergic to anything but gold or platinum in my ears since birth but I’ve never been allergic to gold before. Darling Husband and I have also gained weight since the wedding so I thought maybe it had gotten tighter, but all my other rings still fit perfectly and I think it’s just the swelling 🙁
I was considering getting them made bigger or replated but the plating doesn’t provide perfect coverage and I want to actually be able to wear my rings! It’s also only on my left ring finger, the white gold promise ring on my right ring finger doesn’t cause any problems. Any ideas??
Post # 3
Was the wedding band a new band? Because if it was, then it shouldn’t have nickel in it– the only bands that do have nickel are vintage white gold bands.
Secondly, having a too-small ring will aggravate the issue- see your jeweler?
Post # 4
They were both new bands, just vintage inspired. Anything else in new white gold to be allergic to? I’m definitely up for getting them resized, I just wanted to make sure that will solve the problem before I go messing with them. I’ve had them off for a week now and the skin is still peeling off >_<
Post # 5
@saraja87: This is going to sound gross … but do you make sure the skin under your rings are dry? Especially after washing your hands, showering, or even sweating? You could have a fungus.
Post # 6
@CrystalBlackheart Yes, I make sure it’s always dry. No fungal or bacterial infection here, I got it checked just in case. We’re down to either two small or allergic. I wore them again for our 6 month anniversary dinner on Saturday and the engagement ring gave me a little blister but no red line and the wedding band (smaller) left an angry red line that hasn’t gone away. I’m now considering if the they might be both too small and contain something I’m allergic to 🙁
Post # 7
I’d go back to the jeweler and explain the situation – maybe they can give you a breakdown on the metal content in your rings (it definitely sounds like the wedding band is the main culprit here). And if you show them your gnarly finger, I’m guessing that they might be willing to resize for free (if they usually charge for that) out of pure sympathy!
Post # 8
I hate to be the one to suggest this, but are you sure they’re white gold? Are you possibly able to take them to another jeweler to make sure they are in fact white gold?
A very good friend of mine had a platinum engagement ring but ended up getting a white gold band for her wedding. She saw on the news that the jeweler they got her band from was implicated in selling brides fake jewelry. Sure enough, she took her band to another jeweler who told her that it wasn’t white gold and they weren’t diamonds in her band.
I’d just check to be sure before you take your rings back to the jeweler you got them from.
Post # 9
This happens to me with jewelry that is gold plated and not 100% gold. I am super sensitive too, I can’t wear it for more than a few minutes before having a reaction. My white gold e-ring and earrings don’t bother me at all though, so I know they’re not plated.
Post # 10
Its from washing your hands…the soap and water stay under there between the two rings and it gets flaky red and itchy….wear both, but make sure you dry the rings and the underneath part really good…or if you just deal with it long enough like I have with my other rings, your skin will kinda get used to it and it won’t be so bad…the first couple of times it happened to me was the worst…
Post # 12
This used to happen to my grandmother. She used to put clear nail polish on the inside of the ring where the ring would touch skin. It helped her. Its a little weird, but hey if it works it works.
Post # 13
this happened to my bset friend. she has a gold ring and had it for 7 years then all of a sudden she became allergic. She took it into the jewlers and she had the inside lined with platunim and now she doesnt have any problems with it. its like they just paint it in there so it doesnt change your ring at all. you might want to ask about it. i know it was kind of spendy but it lasts for 10+ years.
Post # 14
I am really sorry you are going through this. 🙁 It has to SUCK not being able to wear your rings! My husband got me a 10K yellow gold ring for an anniversary one year. I wore it for months & months with no problems. Then all of a sudden one day it was leaving a faded green ring around my finger. We thought that it might have been gold filled or something. Since then we went & got it tested & actually sold it. But low & behold it was full 10k yellow gold. It was just a reaction I had to it for whatever reason.
Post # 15
I am allergic to gold. Unfortunately, I spent many years with a rash on my hands that was misdiagnosed as ecsema. It took a divorce and the removal of rings to realize it was due to the gold. My new fiance bought me an engagement ring set in platinum…no problems now!
Post # 16
In order to get the gold white, it has to be mixed with other metals. I’m also allergic to nickel, so when I had my rings made our family jeweler, he mixed it with palladium. When I got one of my wedding bands and my engagement ring re-sized, that jeweler used a nickel mix. So then I started getting achy fingers, red skin, rash, etc. You can have the rings coated with a pure metal such as palladium, platinum, rhodium, etc; or you can put some clear nail polish in the inside of them to act as a protectant from the impure metal. I have to do this belt buckles and some watches, etc, but it will wear off, so you’ll have to re-apply it once you start getting the same signs and symptoms. Your size might be contributing to it, but try the finger nail polish first and see if you get some relief! Good luck!