(Closed) WWYD: Allergic to New Rescue Dog. :(

posted 5 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
Member
4439 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2013 - Harbourfront Grand Hall

@Treejewel19:  Sounds like a simple 24 hour allergy pill will fix your DH’s problem.  You might need a trip to the doctor!  You made a lifetime commitment to Balin and it sounds like you’re also kinda frustrated with his behaviour issues, which should go away in time and with training.

Post # 4
Member
2952 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 1998

Oh no now annoying for you both.

My son is also allergic to our new dog and he has to use Zyrtec everyday. Which is not ideal.

I was told that your body can get use to it but not the case here. 

Try washing the dog in allergy free washes. Good luck.

Post # 7
Member
998 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

 

Both of your reactions sound really strange to me….is this the only dog you have been allergic to? Talk to your vet-maybe they can give him something for his skin or even something simple like changing his diet.

Post # 8
Member
7771 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

Benadryl?  Or am I way off base here?

Post # 9
Member
244 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

@Treejewel19:  I volunteer at an animal shelter and we see dogs get adopted and then returned all the time because of unexpected allergies in the family. It’s not good, but it happens, and I always hate seeing the good ones come back for a reason like that.

If you try the allergy route (talk to your doctor and see what they would recommend long-term) and it doesn’t work, you could find a breed-specific rescue that might be able to help you. If you exhaust all your options and can’t find a solution, at the very least find a shelter that works through foster homes, not kennels.

Post # 10
Member
3041 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

@Treejewel19:  I’m usually one for you made a lifetime commitment but if the ONLY reason is because of the allergies, than I’d rehome him. It may be different if you’ve had him for years but if you JUST got him, that’s 8-14 years (depending on how old he is) you’ll have to deal with allergies, breakouts, etc. Plus you’re BOTH allergic, & it sounds like its intense for you. A dog that compromised my health would be rehomed (& I’ve rescued kittens I knew had ringworm & even though I knew I could catch it, it wouldn’t be a lifelong thing, just a few months).

Did you get him from a rescue? The pound? Somewhere else? If its a rescue, I’d contact them & let them know & give him back. If its the pound, I’d contact a rescue group or rehome him yourself (screen people before giving him a home).

Post # 11
Member
3947 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I was allergic to my dog when I first got her too.  I went through about a month or so of itchy eyes and sneezing, but my body grew used to her and I’m not longer allergic. 

I would give it some more time. 

Post # 12
Member
4439 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2013 - Harbourfront Grand Hall

@Treejewel19:  I think that’s a question for your doctors.

Post # 15
Member
7771 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

@Treejewel19:  🙁  Oh my goodness!  I am allergic to all kinds of things so it has literally saved my life, but my goodness, that doesn’t sound like a good option for you!

This is so strange and I am so sorry you are going through this.  I would ask a vet if there is something you can do to this dog to better the health situation for you two.  What a strange and uncomfortable bummer for all involved.

Post # 16
Member
998 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

That is so crazy to me that you have such intense reactions to only him.  I’m really intrigued! I will probably go to bed pondering this tonight….yes, I need a life. Maybe your vet can help, if not then re-homing is probably best. But no shelters!!

The topic ‘WWYD: Allergic to New Rescue Dog. :(’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors