(Closed) Almost 40 weeks, may be induced :-(

posted 4 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 2
1706 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

 I feel doctors in America are really quick to jump on inducing/C-sections, etc. 

Your body, your decision. As long as you and the baby are healthy, waiting is fine, no two pregnancies are alike, some need a little more time, others, a little less.

My SIL was always 42-43 weeks before labor started, and she and the 3 (soon to be 4!) kids are fine.  

Post # 3
2902 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I think it’s such a personal decision. Have you spoken with your midwife/Doctor about the reasons for their recommendations? I’m not a medical professional, just an amateur birth nerd, but I know there are statistics that say there seems to be a higher rate of shoulder dystocia in large babies and a higher rate of stillbirth in late pregnancy with mothers of advanced maternal age, which is probably why the doctor is saying the earlier the better – I think doctors tend to be more cautious and worst case scenario oriented. At the same time, an induction makes you statistically more likely to wind up with a c section. You might want to ask your doctor/midwife about your Bishop score before the induction – it can suggest whether the induction is more or less likely to be successful. They should also be able to explain to you the other risk factors for the adverse outcomes they may be concerned about – for instance, maternal obesity is another risk factor for shoulder dystocia, IVF is another risk factor for still birth postdates. That might help give you a bigger picture to make the call! 

Finally, I wouldn’t worry too much about your husband’s feelings about an epidural. Your body, your choice. I had an epidural during my induction so I can’t tell you from experience whether contractions are worse than natural labor. But I can tell you my epidural was awesome. I could move my legs around, but just felt contractions as a mild cramping sensation. 

Good luck! Hopefully you’ll just go into spontaneous labor and you won’t even have to decide. Fingers crossed!

Post # 4
3007 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2008

I think physicians schedule C-sections altogether too often. I’d at least try to give birth first and go the emergency C-section route if it doesn’t work out.

As for the induction… hmm, that’s a tricky one. Inductions are way more painful than natural birth, from what I understand, and an epidural before your water is broken is ideal. However, why does your H even have an opinion about the epidural, let alone have the nerve to express it to you? That’s so inappropriate that I can’t even. Darling Husband would never. Tell your man that he isn’t the one giving birth and it’s not fair to tell you how to manage your pain during your labor.

My other thoughts are as follows: If the baby gets too big, you will need that emergency C-section to get him/her out, and those are the worst for recovery time. I’d rather be inducted than risk C-section because I wouldn’t want to depend on others for help with the baby while my stitches are healing. 

On the other hand, I had a friend with pre-eclampsia who needed to be induced. Her doctor estimated that her 38-week baby was a huge monster baby and going to be the same size as yours, and he ended up being 6 pounds 14 oz. So I don’t think those weight estimators are necessarily accurate. 

In conclusion, it’s a really dificult decision that only you can make. Sorry I’m not more help, but I feel for your situation! 

Post # 5
190 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2016

I was induced on 2 of my three. The first two were 12 days late the last on was 10 days late. I made my husband Drs the time give me regular sweeps as I was over due 15 stone and 5″1. Daughter was born 10.12oz I had gas and air and pet hiding. Never have any more than than I’m literally petrified if epidurals and c sections I’d have to be knocked out before I needle went in my spine. Going over is crappy 40 weeks is plenty lol. Go with what the dr says as long as youre happy with it. I wish people wouldn’t Scare mums with baby weight, most of the time they are wrong and size of the baby is hardly something you can help change. All of mine were large babies and my youngest caused a major panic after she was born and they told me she was stuck and would have to break her shoulder but I asked to be left to deliver naturally and I did.Without stitches or grazing. I wish you all the best and hope you tell your hubby to stick his opinion. Your body your birth long plan if you want an epidural its not going to have any affect on him. 

Post # 6
497 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I totally understand why you want to wait. I would imagine they can do monitoring to keep tabs on baby’s health. There’s a great article on the Evidence Based Birth website about how predicted size can be off by a lot. And even if you do have a big baby, you may very well be able to deliver with no problems. I’m of the mindset that your body knows what to do, so less intervention is best unless there’s a serious indication for it. I know it’s a personal decision that you’ll figure out with your health care providers, but I hope it turns out in a way that you feel good about. All the best to you!

Post # 7
2600 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

HappyORBride:  I was induced and also had a really rough labor (without epidural) that ended in an emergency c-section. I am not going to lie, but the experience was terrible. I am not a medical professional so I can’t say this is factual or not, but my sense of it is that pitocin really makes labor hard.

I do understand the desire to at least try for a natural childbirth, and I think that you should try to make your case with your physician. I would make my preferences known and I’d ask her about the medical concerns regarding fetal size. Perhaps you can come to a compromise. I also think that there’s a problem with your perspective as the mother vs. hers as a medical profession. I understand completely that you want to give birth with minimal medical intervention and that you also have to contend with the fact that you will be the one actually laboring, as you will also be the one having to recover from  section, if you end up getting one. The problem is that you are asking for minimal medical intervention with someone who is specifically trained to provide medical intervention. My suspicion is that your doctor, like all doctors, wants to avoid complications as best she can, so if she feels that allowing you to wait puts you at risk of say, needing an emergency section, she’s going to take steps to avoid that. And, while I don’t necessarily like this sort of logic, it is probably true that she also has to be mindful of the stresses that having an emergency situation, such as doing an emergency section, put on the hospital resources and staff. Yes, they are there and trained specifically to address those problems, but she may see her role as trying to alleviate unnecessary emergencies–both for you and your baby and the staff. That’s why I say it’s your best bet to simply talk to your doctor and allow you both to outline your concerns, and see if you can come to a compromise. Even if she gives you 3 extra days, that’s sort of halfway to 41 weeks anyway, right? 

And another thing to consider, by the way, is that if your physician is telling you that they are not comfortable doing it x way, you should at least listen. You don’t have to agree, but do remember that there is something to a doctor being able to direct a procedure in a way THEY are most comfortable and confident about. 

And fuck the husband and his thoughts on the epidural. Believe me, if he’s there in the delivery room, he will get you the Shroud of Turin if you so desire. I defy any man who says they can keep their wits about them when their lady is in labor. 

  • This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  BothCoasts.
Post # 10
2902 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

HappyORBride:  That totally makes sense and sounds like a great plan to me. Wishing you a great, easy delivery! ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 11
701 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

HappyORBride:  what’s wrong with an epidural?  I really don’t get it.  With my first, my water broke at 38 weeks and 6 days, three hours later, I was dilated to 9.  I still went ahead and got an epidural.  I went from horrific pain to complete relief in 15 minutes.  My baby was born two hours later.  The only complication was a minor tear.  Getting the epidural made labor so much nicer.  And I was one of the lucky ones with a quick active labor.

For the life of me, I will never understand why anyone is against pain relief.  You use a telephone, a computer and drive a car, why deliver like you live in the 1800s?

Post # 12
2699 posts
Sugar bee

I had my 1st baby at the end of 42 weeks and was induced. I wish we hadn’t waited so long. When they broke my water, there was just barely a little trickle and she had inhaled a bunch of meconium (baby poop) and stayed sickly during infancy. She is a bright, healthy (pregnant) 26 year old now but those 1st few years were rough. I get the big push to do all natural everything but sometimes we need a little help and there are things available these days to make the process a little safer and easier (LIKE AN EPIDURAL). It isn’t any type of personal failure to take advantage of the technology available. 

Post # 13
9632 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

Honestly with the history of dystocia I would take the induction, but that’s me. I was induced at 39 weeks for medical reasons, had an epidural and was very happy with my experience.

Post # 14
1854 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I would wait as long as possible, if it were me. Ultrasounds have been known to be off and aren’t an accurate representation of size. And like you said, you already know you can birth a 10lb baby, and if he/she was allowed to come when THEY were ready maybe things will go smoother. (Based off shat your midwife knows about your last birth) 


i would listen to the person who’s been caring for you this entire pregnancy rather than a random OB who is basing this recommendation off of one ultrasound. 

Post # 15
7430 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2013

HappyORBride:  I was induced with both of my babies (for different reasons) at 39 weeks and 38 weeks.

My first labor was 26 hours long with 2 hours of pushing. I was induced with pitocin, and I had an amazing epidural. I could still move around by myself, I just didn’t feel pain. I had a few first and second degree tears.

My second labor was induced with cervidil, which they removed after 5 hours because it was causing me to have too many contractions. It was great though because it jump started labor for me instead of just ripening the cervix, so I was able to avoid pitocin. I had an epidural, but it wasn’t as great as my first, but still completely necessary for me. I went from 5cm to 10cm dilated in 45 minutes. I didn’t have to push at all. The nurse was calling for the doctor and told me to close my knees because the baby was coming. Darling Husband almost had to catch the baby! The whole labor and delivery only lasted 12 hours, and it was so much easier/better than my first. I didn’t have any tears, and I honestly didn’t even break a sweat.

Maybe a second induction will be easier this time for you since your body has already been through this.

The topic ‘Almost 40 weeks, may be induced :-(’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors