23 %
    $1000-$1499 : (1 votes)
    2 %
    Over $2000 : (0 votes)
  • Post # 31
    65 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

Wow, I’m glad I went to an independent seamstress! 

I paid $70 to have my dress taken in, hemmed, and dry-cleaned. 

I was quoted $150 at the bridal shop for hemming alone, so I went elsewhere, and it turned out great! I was skeptical at first, but my sister had her bridesmaid dress taken in there–it was two sizes too big–and the seamstress did a wonderful job, so I decided to use her as well. 

It pays to shop around! 

ETA: My other sister spent over $400 for her wedding dress alterations. That’s crazy to me.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by mariatcast.
    Post # 32
    276 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

I can’t imagine paying that for alterations. I didn’t even pay that for my wedding dress. I bought my dress at David’s Bridal and they wanted $500 for alterations and I had to pay up front before any work was done. I told them that I wanted to look around and they unpinned my dress after an hr of pinning. I’m glad I chose to walk away because I found a local seamstress who is actually a seamstress for an upscale bridal boutique, but she runs her own alterations business after her normal work hours. It ended up costing around $120 and she even took the Juliet cap off my mom’s veil and sewed it onto a comb for free! I would really suggest just searching around. You can always go back to one of the stores. 

The topic ‘Alteration pricing’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors