(Closed) Alterations $599!!!

posted 6 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
3368 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

What are you asking to have done?  It sounds like too much for basic fit alterations.

Post # 4
1087 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

Wow, that is a tough one especially the cost in relation to your dress. I would probably do some research on seamstresses in your area. Get some reviews. If they are able to do the SAME job but cheaper then I say save the money. But make sure you are confident in their abilities. It also depends on the type of dress/material/details and extent of alterations needed. I know someone who went to a seamstress outside of the shop she purchased her dress from and they did a wonderful job. I am not sure how much alteration was actually needed for hers though. If you need a lot done then I would probably just pay the money.

Post # 5
1370 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

What are you getting done? If it’s a major change to the dress then I dunno, I might suck up the alterations cost. You would have to find a seamstress that knows bridal. I would be worried about the seamstress who is used to working on jeans or something screwing it up, then you’re out an $800 dress and have to buy a new one if they attempt something major and screw it up beyond repair.

That’s tough. I would only do it if you really REALLY trust the new seamstress.

Post # 6
764 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I was told my alterations would be something like $460. I spent $30 elsewhere and was VERY happy.

Post # 7
2216 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I’m from Northeast Ohio and am looking at a couple of bridal seamstresses that have come highly recommended.  I dunno cost yet, but would be happy to share the info when I find out more.  

Post # 10
111 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I tried on dresses in Catans and when they told me that their “basic” alterations package was $600 I was like… seriously? No way in **** would I pay that amount of money to get a dress hemmed and a bustle added! You’re making the right choice shopping around for a seamstress.

Post # 11
4803 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Do NOT get your alterations done there – I bought my dress (well, first dress, I repurchased closer to home after experiencing dress regret). Catan’s charges a 600 flat fee regardless of how many alterations you need done. It could be as simple as hemming and they would charge you that amount, it is completely ridiculous unless you are having a huge amount of things altered and worked on. I know a great seamstress who has done tons of alterations for myself and lots of other girls I know on wedding dresses, but she is in Maumee, so a bit of a drive.

Post # 12
642 posts
Busy bee

WOW!!! Holy cow! Are you serious?! That sounds like WAY too much to pay for alterations. My salon does it in house and charges $25 for sewing in cups and $10.00 per layer for a hem. I would seriously shop around. 

Post # 13
230 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

The salon where I purchased my dress quoted a couple hundred for alterations (basic)- I made an appointment with a local seamstress and she said for basic it would be under $100 (obviously more if there is some serious work to be done, which I do not expect).  

Post # 14
1370 posts
Bumble bee

Knowing the alternations you need done $600 is WAY too much money. Find someone else! It’s not like they’re changing the structure of your gown, just the details. I’m paying $135 for cups added in, bust taken in and lengthened slightly.

Post # 15
2063 posts
Buzzing bee

I’m having HEAVY alterations done and the salon is charging me $30. Usually, if you purchase your dress there they don’t charge you a thing. I would NOT pay that much and I’m sure that you find a very good seamstress elsewhere. 

Post # 16
11272 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

wow, that’s steep.

when i tried on dresses, a couple of smaller salons didn’t even do their own alterations on-site.  they sent their dresses out to a really good seamstress. 

when my friend got married she had her dress altered at this seamstress’s shop and they did a fantastic job.  i ended up taking mine there for the bustle.

i would suggest calling some of the other bridal salons in your area and ask if they do alterations in-house or if they send them out and ask where they send them out to.  this way you can take your dress independently to someone who works on wedding dresses regularily.

The topic ‘Alterations $599!!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors