Altered Necklines? Before & After Pics?

posted 7 years ago in Dress
  • poll: What Type of Neckline Will Your Dress Have?
    Straight Across : (13 votes)
    10 %
    Sweetheart : (105 votes)
    78 %
    Halter : (0 votes)
    Spaghetti Straps : (1 votes)
    1 %
    Sleeves : (5 votes)
    4 %
    Other : (10 votes)
    7 %
  • Post # 4
    94 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

@funfunfun: can you post a pic of the dress in question?

Post # 7
    94 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

@funfunfun: hm i wouldnt change the neckline! It looks great like that. I also think no straps would be nice.

Post # 8
    129 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

I did something similar (scoop to sweetheart) so I thought I would share. I thought it would be difficult to make the switch since there was already a dip, but my alterations person pulled it off. She said it’s really possible to change any neckline to another. I’m not sure on cost–I think it was only about $50, but I had a ton of other work done, so my total was pretty high and I’m not sure exactly how the breakdown went. I’m SO HAPPY I made the switch.

Before:

After:

After with detachable straps (how I wore the dress most of the night)

Post # 11
    6345 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2014

@gardendahlia:

I have a strapless dress and want straps added like yours; can I ask if the lace came from the same dress, and how much it cost to add straps?..

Post # 12
    276 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2012

I also would love to see altered necklines!  I have a ML confetti top and want it altered towards a sweetheart .  Please post your pics!

Post # 13
    129 posts
    Blushing bee

@funfunfun: Thanks! I was really happy with every change I made (and agonized over before doing). It’s so funny how such a small change (usually only takes a stitch or two to go from scoop to sweetheart) can cause such anxiety! I say go with your gut!

@barbie 86: The lace doesn’t actually match, but since my dress wasn’t all lace, you really couldn’t tell. I did consider going to the designer to buy matching lace from them, but once I saw how closely what the alterations person had on hand, I didn’t think it necessary.

The straps cost ~$200. They would have just been $100 if I hadn’t had the edges scalloped (they had to use a different, very thin lace for that.) You can’t tell from this picture, but in the back, the straps curved out to create a keyhole back. Because of this, the straps were larger and thus more costly.

Post # 14
    3 posts
    Wannabee
    • Wedding: September 2012

@gardendahlia:

I love everything you did. I’ve been looking for pics of dresses with added straps since mostly everything is strapless. Please post pics of the back.

Thanks

Post # 15
    129 posts
    Blushing bee

@shalann22: Thanks! Here are a few pictures of the back. I think in a perfect world, the dress would have gone deeper in the back (more of a v), but it then would have been nearly impossible to wear a bra, and I didn’t feel comfortable with just cups. Sorry they’re huge–I can’t figure out how to resize without skewing the pictures.

With:

Without:

Post # 16
    3 posts
    Wannabee
    • Wedding: September 2012

@gardendahlia:

Thanks for posting the pics! I love it! I haven’t started looking yet because I was a little down thinking that I didn’t have many options but you have changed my mind. Thanks again. You looked awesome!

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors