(Closed) Alzheimer's Disease & treatment – UK Bees, please help!

posted 4 years ago in Wellness
Post # 2
173 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

I’d suggest the first source of information is : http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/

I work in adult social care for a local Council so I’m familiar with this but not an expert – hopefully I can point you in the right direction though.


Someone needs to contact their GP, regular doctor, and get them an appointment. The doctor needs to be aware if their health is changing and can make referrals on to different departments or specialists if necessary, including occupational therapy.

Other illnesses, particularly urinary infections, can increase confusion and make the situation worse so it’s improtant they are treated.

The doctor could also review the medication to make sure it isn’t having any / too many side effects.

Local Council

Someone needs to contact grandfather/grandmother’s local Council to request an assessment.

The grandfather’s local Council should carry out a community care (sometimes called an adult social care) assessment. This assessment will look in detail at their needs, and then identify what services are needed to meet those needs. 

A word of warning – there can be very long waiting lists for assessments. So it’s better to start this sooner rather than later.

The Council should also provide services for carers, so grandmother might be able to get some help for herself in supporting grandfather. 

Legal / Financial

I’d also recommend that grandfather/grandmother start to consider their legal and financial arrangements while they still can. 

There are two kinds of Lasting Power of Attorney – one for finance and one for health and wellbeing. Even if they set them up now, the LPA only kicks in once the person is no longer able to make their own decisions. 

In order to arrange Lasting Power of Attorney the person needs to have the mental capacity to be able to make the arrangements and sign their agreement – I believe the solicitor should carry out a mental capacity assessment as part of the application process. Hopefully grandfather’s Alzheimers isn’t too far gone for him to be able to do this.

In general he should make a will if he hasn’t already, and he might like to write down his views on a number of issues to help his LPA delegate make good decisions for him. (for example, would he ever agree to going into a care home if it was considered best for him?, would he decline cancer treatment?, would he like a do not resuscitate order?, etc? – I guess the solicitor can give you more advice).

Post # 3
173 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

Sorry thats a lot of information and if it sounds a bit cold.

I’m sure this must be a difficult situation for you, and I hope it’s helped a little. 

Post # 4
7992 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2013 - UK

PP is right. The first step is to get him declared a vulnerable adult and to obtain an LPA. You also need to contact social services about getting an assessment for help around the home. They can take forever, and I’m afraid that I am rather biased against them from personal experience, but they do have a duty to provide care.

You should also consider scheduling a medication review with the local GP. I have found that older people are often prescribed either morphine or codeine for various ailments. These can cause confusion, and the morphine can make alzheimer’s petients deteriorate far more quickly than they otherwise would do.

I suspect that the memory clinic was a victim of local budget cuts, sadly. That’s been happening a lot here. Sorry to hear about that.

Post # 5
2587 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2014 - UK

MissLemon:  Adding a third – the power of attorney part is VERY important, because it will allow your partner and her parents access to health care records, bank details etc. which could ordinarily be denied to next of Kin. We have found this vital whilst dealing with my elderly relatives over the last few years – you can have more than one person named on each power of attorney, so my mum and her brother were named for my Granny and their uncles, and it has allowed them to make sure that none of them was being mistreated or taken advantage of.

Post # 6
2 posts

Aforementioned Fiance here, brand new to weddingbee and already blown away by the warmth and friendliness of its members!

Thank you all so much. Even for a native its so difficult to know where or how to start with all of this, and your advice is SO helpful. Hopefully we will be able to put it into practice and at least make things a little easier for my grandmother. I’m certain I’ll have some follow up questions later – there’s so much to make sense of, though thanks to everyone here I already have some idea of what really needs to be done! 

(On a totally unrelated note, Miss Lemon is an excellent alias!)

  • This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by  ladydarcy.

The topic ‘Alzheimer's Disease & treatment – UK Bees, please help!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors