(Closed) Amora H&A Gem has ruined everything!

posted 6 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
2651 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

I clicked it and it said -1. so….

I’m sorry?

Post # 5
4478 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

Hey, I understand!  I’m in exactly the same boat!  

Better Than Diamond’s blog said they’ll have big news re: Amora in a week or two, so let’s see what that big news will be first.  Also, the stone will come out this summer in some places.  You can bet that the better than diamond groupies will figure out a way to get one, via mail forwarding service or something.  

Secondly, I feel the same way, and just decided on getting an Avarra sapphire as the temp stonae, have talked to SO, and he’s cool w/it.  I’ll replace it w/Amora when it’s easily available in the US.

Post # 6
385 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

I totally feel the same way. I JUST decided to get an amora moissanite, which is what brought me to these forums. Then, so many peopke were talking about betterthandiamond that I ended up there and discovered the Amora H&A gem. I actually bought a moissanite though and I even have a placeholder ring. There’s an expensive semi-mount that I’ve been in love with for ages and I’m perfectly willing to wait for it. I just felt weird without a ring, so we bought a cheap 10k gold plain band for the time being and had my moissanite set in it.

Post # 7
3148 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2010

so, can somebody clear something up? is the Amora GEM different? 

from what I understand from the Bee, but cannot confirm: 

1. “Amora” as it is availble currently is only on the surface of the stone, and is available in the US right now

2. “Amora GEM” is a new stone, where it has been “amora-ized” all the way through and is not just the outside.  and it’s not available in the US yet. 

is this correct or am I getting this wrong? just curious. I’m so confused!

(EDIT: or maybe what I’m referring to #1 above is just “enhanced” and was never called “amora” ever.)

Post # 8
395 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

Yes, your edit is correct. There are 3 different stones people talk about. The first “enhanced” moissanite was a coating bonded to the stone — this is different from the current enhancement process, which is called Amora moissanite (which actually makes the stones stronger as well as improving color).

The Amora *gem* is a different stone altogether. It is not the C&C moissanite, but rather a polytype of silicone carbide, a new stone.

Why on earth they named these two different stones the same freaking name (amora moissanite and amora gem) is beyond me! How weird right? And it makes it extra confusing when you throw in the original enhanced moissanite, which is NOT the same as either amora! Thank goodness we have the Internet to sort things out. (:

P.S. The amora gem is not “amora-ized” — it is not treated or enhanced at all (far as I know), but it is nice and white fresh out of the oven, because it is a different type of stone, not moissanite.

Post # 9
1359 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Yeah, the naming thing is really annoying. But basically amora moissanite is regular C&C moissanite that has been treated; amora GEM is a new type of gemstone also made from silicon carbide that BTD has grown from scratch and the rough (the material before it is cut into a gem) is much whiter.

Also, OP, I really think Amora Gem will be in the US summer or fall 2012. So don’t freak just yet.

Post # 10
4478 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

@janie-janie:   You’ve pretty much got it right.

What’s available now and called Amora is Amora enhanced moissanite, which is just regular moissanite treated with high temperature and pressure.  Better than Diamond tkes Charles & Colvard moissanite and treats it.  It is also cut to moissanite specifications (ex: needlelike arrows in the round brilliant, square brilliant instead of princess for square stones), because that’s all Charles & Colvard allows.  

Amora Gem is Silicon Carbide, just like moissanite, but is built from scratch, so is grown under different conditions, and has a different structure.  Plus, it’ll come in that hearts & arrows cut.  This is the stone that isn’t available yet.

Post # 11
886 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

This is interesting. If Amora Gem is truly a totally new form of silicon carbide, how come they’re facing legal issues with it? Aren’t there only so many ways carbon and silicon can bond?

Post # 14
395 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

That sounds about right, Spanish Lace; I’m pretty sure the legal problems are all down to the absurd, draconian patent laws.

There are hundreds of ways Silicon Carbide can bond! As a comparative example, diamond and graphite are both just allotropes of carbone — but you’d never see a graphite engagement ring in a jewellery store, right? (-;

Post # 15
3148 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2010

either way, I’m curious to find out how good Amora Gem ends up being.  I am extremely hopeful that they can improve moissanite to the point that they could *finally* begin to offer princess or asscher cuts.  here’s hoping!

Post # 16
82 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 1996

I want that Amora gem too!  But I did just order the Amora moissanite because I just couldn’t wait that long. I have serious patience issues. I also wonder just how visually different the two stones could be.  Im alway stalking the BTD boards for thei Friday updates. 

The topic ‘Amora H&A Gem has ruined everything!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors