Post # 1
I just wanted to share some information that may help someone else. Apparently, there is a shortage of Amora enhanced moissanite (either currently or on the horizon depending on the size). As I mentioned in other posts, I am currently having a custom setting and band made for a 3ct/9mm Amora moissanite. I ordered one about a month ago, it came in, and I loved it. Due to issues concerning the jewelry insurance company (I lost my previous set, and this is a replacement), my jeweler felt it would be best for me to return mine and let him order another (of the same thing) in his name. I won’t even go into how bad of idea that was.
When he went to order the stone, BTD was out of stock on the 3ct/9mm stones (as was MoissaniteCo). He failed to alert me to this problem until after I had shipped my stone out for the return. Long story short, I’ve been stalking BTD.com and MoissaniteCo.com looking for another 3ct/9mm Amora. I wasn’t having any luck. Finally, there was a 3.5ct/9.5mm Amora in stock on MoissaniteCo.com. I double checked with my jeweler to make sure it would fit, and he said it would if we changed out the head from a six prong to a four. Long story short, I ended up with a different prong style than I originally wanted (I like this one, but still), and a $300 price increase all because I thought there wasn’t going to be a supply problem with Amoras (I’m currently hoping the 3.5ct/9.5mm doesn’t look much bigger than the 3ct/9mm stone).
This is in no way a negative review of BTD or MoissaniteCo (I’m a little annoyed with my jeweler, but that’s another topic entirely). From what I’ve read on the BTD forum, the shortage is coming from an increasingly smaller number of C&C raw moissanite stones meeting the BTD prescreening standards (they prescreen before applying the Amora treatment). It doesn’t seem like they think the problem will be fixed (at least for large amounts/long term) in the near future. It seems like the problem is mainly with Ring Bearer cuts in larger sizes (2ct/8mm and up), but they seem to think (from what I’ve seen on the BTD forum) it may extend farther than that soon.
My point is, if you are planning on ordering an Amora moissanite, I would do so as quickly as possible. I mulled over my decision, ordered the stone, sent it back at the request of my jeweler, he tried to reorder it, and I found myself in a bind. If it were me, I wouldn’t waste any time if I could help it. I don’t want to panic anyone, and I am certainly not a representative of either company. I just wanted to share my personal experience in the hopes that someone else will not have the same problem.
Post # 3
That is unfortunate and really annoying! I am still not clear on why your jeweller would even suggest that – I would be pissed.
Post # 4
I saw that on the BTD update last week. It kind of has me worried! My SO and I have decided on moissanite but dont plan on getting it right away. I told him about this, so hopefully we will get it soon. I would hate for them to run out before we got one and then we would still have time before the amora gem came out.
Post # 5
Very interesting. Thanks for posting!
Post # 6
@CanadianMermaid: I think he thought it would make the insurance paperwork go more smoothly, but it was a bad idea. The part I am most upset about is that he didn’t let me know both companies were out right away. I didn’t send my stone back for the return for a few more days, so the whole thing could have been avoided. He has been great with everything else, so I’m trying not to blow this out of proportion (but I’m still really annoyed).
@Soon2bMrsGski: I understand where you’re coming from. I actually thought about waiting for the Amora gem when I was stalking BTD and MoissaniteCo waiting for a stone in my size to come available. I didn’t feel like it would work for me because there isn’t any concrete date for the release (even for the nonpatented countries), and it will be in short supply for a while after the release as well. Maybe you could mention this to your SO. He may want to at least get a loose stone to hold onto until this whole thing blows over. I never thought supply would be an issue until now, which is why I posted this. I didn’t want others to feel that false sense of security I did.
Post # 7
BTD said this week they got a few in suitable for Amora (lower rejection rate) so they are not as worried about supply drying up as much as they were a couple weeks ago. They are taking from a new pool, it seems. Not sure how many larger sizes they received though that are suitable for them to do.
I thought you could also ask Mo Co to send stones for Amora treatment? They have quite a few in stock, and while it takes extra time (weeks) depending on schedules, I was under the impression they can arrange for that. At least, I know they do for the OECs (send them for cutting by C&C, get them back and then send them to BTD to enhance before getting them back for stock or customer orders) so not sure why they could not for the round brilliants? Unless that just complicates things too much so they don’t do it that way now?
Post # 8
@obsessivebee: What a nightmare, how frustrating! Have you asked BTD/moissyco about getting that size restocked?
I did some digging on the BTD forums, and found the following info for anyone else interested:
Re the Forever Brilliant: what this stone actually is remains unclear (it’s either a coating or a permenent treatment like the Amora) but what is clear is that C&C have come out looking pretty shady (bc they claimed the stones were not coated but BTD tested samples and they were coated). Also C&C refuses to explain the process and their customer service rep lied about moissyco stones. Dirty methods. Personally I don’t care what treatment C&C uses, I’d still buy coated stones, but they had better be honest about it & not slander their competition!
Re Amora Moissanite Shortage: BTD (the company that makes the Amora) says this is still a potential problem but it does not seem to be urgent right now. If you want to be guarenteed an Amora, put a deposit down now. If you can’t yet, you’ll probably still be fine but it’s worth keeping an eye on. BTD get their moissanite from various distributors, & they seem to have switched to another distributor to avoid the “dirty pond” problem. Here is BTD’s description of this problem:
What appears to be happening is the dirty pond syndrome. Effectively, we pull a bucket out of the pond of available moissanites from the distributors and pre-screen. We select those that meet our quality bar in terms of cutting proportions for the pre-screen, and send the rest back. We then continue that process for each batch of Amora enhanced, but eventually, the reservoir we are pulling from is now largely comprised of…already rejected stones.
Thus, the more we draw from the pond, the more we get of already rejected stones and so the rejection rate just keeps climbing since we’re evaluating fewer and fewer ‘new’ stones. In essence, until these rejected stones are sold and new stock is supplied by CTHR to those distributors, we may simply run out of stones to treat.
So they have now found a new “pond” to draw from, but they expect to run into the same issue with this pond, too. They have one more “pond” after that, then there will be supply problems (unless C&C grows new batches of moissanite).
Post # 9
@RayKay: I thought about asking MoCo to send a regular moissy for the Amora treatment (I never did, so I’m not sure they will), but I was afraid it wouldn’t turn out as white as the regular Amoras. I know BTD first screens the raw moissanite and picks the best and lightest naturally, and then they apply the Amora treatment which further whitens them. I was afraid that just any regular moissanite wouldn’t turn out as colorless even after the treatment. This is a good idea though. If I hadn’t found that 3.5ct I would have seriously considered this.
Post # 10
@Jade33: Thanks for all the info. This is the information I was talking about reading on the BTD forum, but I coldn’t post it from my phone. I wouldn’t be totally against the Forever Brilliant treatment if there were more real life reviews (the coating would still make me nervous). The posts from moissy owners here on the Bee are what convinced me to go with the Amora.
Like you said, it’s certainly not like the Amora moissanite is about to be extinct (from what I’ve read), but if you have a timeline you could definitely have some supply issues. I was just too comfortable and never even considered that possibility.
Post # 11
@obsessivebee: You cannot send in a stone to MoissaniteCo for treatment. I actually just contacted them about this.
Post # 12
@booEXcore: Yes, you cannot send in a stone you already have from a different vendor, but Mo Co sends some of their own stones to BTD for treatment, like the OECs they have C&C cut for them, since they do not do it themselves. Technically, they could also send regular stones they have in stock to get Amora as well as they do with the OECs, I just do not know if they will do so. They may just prefer to get their Amora RBs direct already enhanced from BTD or have an agreement or policy not to send other than particular cuts like the OEC to BTD for Amora enhancement.
I imagine part of the reason they definitely would not take stones that were bought elsewhere for treatment has to do with insurance and warranty issues, as well as because Mo Co is not the ones doing the Amora in the first place.
Post # 13
@obsessivebee: I imagine that the FB is indeed a coating it may be much like the old enhanced (like deathbydesign has), since it is still the Serenity labs doing it, of which there are lots of reviews.
Post # 14
Thanks for the heads up. I used the shortage as an excuse to get my husband to order my Amora moissy before it was too late. He ordered this week, so hopefully we will get it soon.
Post # 15
Hello to all,
I just wanted to explain a little. Yes, we have had a temporary shortage due to a higher than expected % of the stones being rejected during the prescreening process. For this reason we are currently low on a number of stones. However we have several dozen of each of the round sizes being processed now in the 5mm – 8.5mm size.
We do have 4 or 5 3ct round stones being processed now. The reason its not more is because for this stone in particular (and only this size/shape) the reject rate continues to be very high, regardless of the distributor we purchase from.
To the OP, please send us your email address, and I will save a stone from the next batch of stones that is being processed now. It should be available in a few weeks at the most.
But in general, we are taking the steps now to ensure we have a higher stock availability in the coming months.
Post # 16
This is unfortunate. I looked into Amora moissanite, and it’s a beautiful stone. I would have seriously considered it if we weren’t working with insurance. They give us a set amount (more than the setting I want and moissanite combined), and, if you don’t use it, you just lose it. It would be a shame if the supply dries up.