(Closed) an iowa wedding for $5000 possible??

posted 9 years ago in Iowa
Post # 3
2271 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

We are having a garden wedding but in PA. The wedding is being held at one of the gardens at the college where I teach. It is an early Friday evening wedding to be followed by a cocktail style reception. We expect over 100 guests. Then we are having a post-wedding pig roast the next day with over 130 guests expected. Total cost for BOTH evnts will come in under 5K. So yes, it is completely do-able.

Post # 4
44 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2008

I think it’s definitely do-able too.  Like bluespurrs, maybe you can just have a cocktail reception with some cake.  Doing it on a Friday or Sunday will save you some $$ too.

You should try searching for venues like bed and breakfasts or parks…

Good luck!

Post # 5
1514 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

What dates are you looking for?  What area of Iowa? 

We’re getting married at Lake Okoboji in North-Central Iowa, it’s a gorgous place.  We’re going to have the ceremony and reception at a State Park Lodge, the rental for one day was less than $300.  The rentals for ceremony chairs (because you can’t take the lodge ones outside) and  tablesclothes was under $400.  Flowers are about $600 (I’m using Sams Club online for all the lose flowers).  Our Band and caterer are our most expensive costs (Band $1800 and caterer $4600 plus the bar tab), but that was a personal preference.  I also priced out DJs (approx. $500) and other caterers (we had a specific menu that cost us a lot).  You could bring in/cook your own food if you wanted.

I think it’s totally do-able to do a $5K wedding in Iowa, you just have to do a little research.  My FH’s cousin will be getting married in Western Iowa next year (near Omaha) so she may have some ideas too.  If you have any other questions, please email me.

Post # 6
1023 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I don’t know much about them or the pricing, but the gardens in Ames at ISU sound like they would make a great place for a wedding and reception.

Post # 7
754 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2008

I live in Omaha and have seen many beautiful places in Iowa.  I attended a wedding at ISU as well and it was lovely.  You can rent rooms on the campus for cheap.  I am available for specific questions about the Omaha/Council Bluffs area (just send me a message).

Post # 8
13 posts
Newbee

I just attended a wedding outdoors at a place called Prairie Pedlar.  It was beautiful!  They didn’t have their reception there, but I think you are able to do so if you’d like to.  The website is http://www.prairiepedlar.com and at the bottom of the page it gives you a link to a professional photographer who has taken pics at the site.

Post # 9
5 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2010

It all depends on what part of Iowa you are looking at, but if you are by any chance looking around Hamilton County (Webster City) you should check out the 7B Ranch. There’s a lake with canoes, barns, peacocks, and a pond surrounded by beautiful gardens, walking paths, and a gazebo. The best wedding I ever attended was at the 7B Ranch. I don’t think this location would be good for an indoor or winter wedding though. The barn worked well for the bridal party getting ready, etc. but I doubt it would hold 50-75 guests.

As far as I know, this venue allows you to choose any vendors or caterers you would like, so that might give you a chance to save some money by shopping around or DIY.

http://www.7branch.com/

Post # 10
3 posts
Wannabee

I am thinking of getting married in 2010 at a place south of Iowa City by 30 miles, it’s called Stouts Serenity Acres. There is a large house and an awesome yard and ponds, it looks really cool. Their website is http://www.stoutsserenityacres.com and they do a lot of paper lantern lighting, i emailed the owner and she said that is what they normally use.

Post # 11
3285 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

i don’t have any suggestions for iowa, ((though my fiance is from there!)) but we live in florida and that’s pretty much our budget.  totally doable. =)  good luck!

Post # 12
17 posts
Newbee

OK I am not sure about the budget issues..

But my friend was married last June at the riverside theatre in Iowa City, at the city park.  there was seating and a bit of structure setup (it’s like the old globe theatre) which was nice, and allows for some decorating but you still get the amazing view of the river/the rest of the park!

I am not sure hwat it cost her, but if you set it up out there you could surely have parking/vendors/etc settled.  Worth a shot!

Here’s the website contact page: http://riversidetheatre.org/contact/contact.htm

I tried to hunt you down some photos but man the IC gov website sucks at taking pictures. It was really lovely, except that it was the one hot week of the summer (100plus) so we all melted in our chairs. bleh.

Post # 13
31 posts
Newbee

Planning a wedding in Iowa for under 5K is definitely possible. What area of Iowa are you looking at? We are having our wedding and reception in the Cedar Rapids area, so if you need any information I can help!

Miss Beats- I think we attended the same wedding at the Riverside Theatre. June 27th???

Post # 13
2 posts
Wannabee

Bamboo:  The Reiman Gardens would make it pretty expensive. 

Post # 14
46383 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

denimsunflower:  Given that the thread is 5 years old, The OP has probably made her decision by now.

The topic ‘an iowa wedding for $5000 possible??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors