(Closed) An ode to passive/aggressive comments 2013

posted 8 years ago in Emotional
Post # 48
2444 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - Lodge

@pastrygirl:  Oh I can laugh.  I’m used to my grandma and her “filter”.  She says whatever comes to her head.  Once she told my cousin in front of her then boyfriend (now husband) “Don’t you think you’re too young to settle down?  Don’t you want to see what else is out there?”  My cousins now husband looked at me after my grandma walked away and said “Well I feel welcome” lol

Post # 49
2444 posts
Buzzing bee

@pastrygirl:  I should also mention that after I got pregnant with my twins I had (non biblical) names picked out but my mom had mentioned to me that I should name my daughter’s middle name a family name on her side.  I liked it so I agreed and then my mom asked if I wouldn’t mind changing my 2nd sons’ middle name to a family name on my dad’s side (the grandma I’m referring to).  I agreed to that as well.  So apparently now because one son has the middle name Dean which is my grandma’s maiden name none of my kids will be going to hell anymore lol.  She never again mentioned the non biblical names, the illigitimate children I raised etc. 

Post # 50
75 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Well you guys make me feel not to bad about my Future Mother-In-Law. For my wedding I wanted the flower girls to wear tutus with different shades of purple in the tutu layers (my theme/colors are purple ombre). While talking about the person I considered hiring to make the tutus, FMIL volunteers to make them herself. I agree thinking that I can always buy them if I don’t like hers.

Next time I see her, she states that she is in a “creative whirlwind” of inspriation and has decieded on adding military braids to the tutus and big flowers on the front! WTF! All I wanted was a simple multi-purple tutu! No flowers, no braids! Her response after I stated I just want a simple tutu:

I’ll make two mock-ups, one the way I like and one the way you like and then you’ll see how pretty my idea will make the tutus.

Ugh and for every idea I have on decorating the reception area, she’s states “Well that sounds pretty but what if you tried this or I have this idea and you should see how my sister’s wedding turned out after I decorated for her”

I don’t even talk about the wedding when we go to visit now.

Post # 51
3273 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

So far fmil has commented that I should stop my charity work if I’m serious about marrying her son, because it takes too much money. Two minutes later, she wonders aloud why dbf and I haven’t tried out the most expensive restaurant around. Priorities. She has them, sort of.

Post # 52
3683 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

I had a couple gems at my mom’s birthay a few months ago from her golf buddies.

A bit of background: I live in West Los Angeles, which is pretty expensive, but because of hubby’s job we have a nice apartment and everything’s fine.  I was telling Golf Buddy A that I’m an illustrator, and just starting out, and while I’m not earning much money, I really love what I do and am happy to have any work at all.

“So, is the princess going to have to move to the Inland Empire now?” (For non-Californians, the Inland Empire’s 2 hours away). 

Then there was Golf Buddy B’s friendly greeting:

“Who are you?”

“Abirdword”

“Oh my god, I didn’t recognize you!  You used to be so much smaller!”  (Translation: you’ve gotten fatter).

I’m also fond of passive aggressive comments like “I don’t mean to be racist, but…” or “No offense, but…” like it puts a band-aid on the totally offensive thing you’re about to say.

Post # 53
487 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

@abirdword:  Yes, and also, “Just sayin’….” as another stupid offensive band-aid statement.

My dad, upon hearing we were engaged: “Whelp. Lots of luck.”

Also from my dad, regarding my unemployed husband. “Hey Mimi. I hate to tell you this, but that guy is never going to work again.”

But I guess that’s not passive aggressive, just regular aggressive.

View original reply
@Laurenplusalex:  LOL! I was a peace corps volunteer and when i came back, mom said, “Glad you’re back. I think charity work kind of sucks.”

Post # 54
3273 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

@mimi123:  I’m spending the summer volunteering abroad. They think I’m crazy

Post # 55
241 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

@emorelia:  OMG that sucks….

my mom, for her anniversary had my dad buy her a wedding band that is very similar to mine…..*eyeroll*…really?  My wedding was only 3 months away at that point…

Post # 56
30 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 2013

@pastrygirl:  yup he is very supportive because she makes the comments about his choices, too. Most notably his groomsmen/groomswomen selections. Also, he was the one who picked the venue (he is better with bigger things and I with the details mostly), the tuxes, and helped me design the flower children/ ringbearer attire. He’s an electrical engineer but also an artist and has rather wonderful taste. Ecletic, but lovely.

Post # 57
4 posts
Wannabee

@NurseMandie:  That is too funny!!! Sounds just like my great grandma!!! Tell her you’re naming your kid “Satan”! Would love to see the look on her face!!!

Post # 58
2444 posts
Buzzing bee

@cartergirl25:  OMG if I said that she’d probably whip out some holy water from her purse and start dumping it on me and praying with a crucifix.  Speaking of…at our new house we have a stairway to our finished basement and the wall looked really bare.  I found a really cool looking iron cross and decided I would put it there.  I’m actually really happy with the results.  My grandma came over last week (she lives in Missouri) and we showed her our new house.  As we come down the stairs she says “Well Nurse Mandie I’m glad to see you’ve finally found religion.”  WTH when did I ever say I wasn’t religious?  I love her but she is definitely a different breed lol.

Post # 59
6375 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: July 2013 - UK

@tmsing:  I should write a thread about her. She’s come out with some real crackers. Sort of sad, in a way, but you have to laugh… otherwise you’d cry, LOL!

The topic ‘An ode to passive/aggressive comments 2013’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors