(Closed) I hate my Future In Laws

posted 10 years ago in Family
Post # 3
1098 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

@MsBrooklynA: OMG are you serious?!?!?!

Now, as far as insurance goes, when the home was damaged your parents were entitled to the claim because it is their home. They should have fixed your roof though.

Do you have renter’s insurance to protect your stuff? Because for the bed you could make a claim.

As far as the house, I do not know what legally you could do to your SO’s parents for being slum lords. Would you or you SO be willing to sue them?

Can you move into an apartment? I would leave the house and confront the Mother-In-Law on why she is lying about you not paying rent

Post # 5
1098 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

@MsBrooklynA: ** HUGS** hun. It will all work out. Do you have renter’s insurance? Really I would make your SO’s parents buy you a new bed

Post # 6
2570 posts
Sugar bee

Easiest way? move out and get a new place. Really.

Post # 8
5879 posts
Bee Keeper

Cyber hug… wow that really sucks. And to have “family” screw you over is the worst. Just try to focus on what you can control, which is getting the hell out of there.

Post # 10
1206 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

you could hire a contractor to come out and give you an (free?) estimate and the status of the damage to prove to them how bad it is.  At least once they see the estimate they’ll know its serious.

I’d be honest with them and let them know you’re planning on moving out when you can and tell them what you need in the mean time.  What does your Fiance say about all of this?

Post # 11
55 posts
Worker bee

Is this a family you really want to spend the rest of your life associated with? 



Post # 12
3625 posts
Sugar bee

Forf whatever reason, it sounds like they are trying to force you to move out. How sad that they have to stoop to  such a level to do it.

Post # 13
1839 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

 How to Get Your Landlord to Make Repairs (copied and pasted from http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/renters-rights-minor-repairs-30276.html;jsessionid=4A9E1B427700A17E8E52B827D4C73BB5


It’s often harder to enforce your rights to minor repairs than major ones. Tenants in an uninhabitable dwelling are often allowed by law to withhold rent or use “repair and deduct” procedures, but taking those actions for merely minor problems could get you evicted. There are, however, a number of proven strategies for getting landlords to take care of minor problems.

1. Write a repair request. Even if you’ve already asked your landlord to take care of a problem, a written request is almost always helpful. It gives you a chance to articulate the problem clearly and point out why it’s in the landlord’s best interest to have it fixed. A letter also allows a reluctant landlord to think it over without having to give you an immediate answer (which often results in a knee-jerk “no”).

Try to develop a number of themes in your letter. One effective tactic is to explain that the problem might become worse — and more costly to the landlord — if it’s not taken care of right away. A landlord might find it easy to ignore your drippy faucet until you point out the possibility of an overflowing sink and water damage to the floors.

Another theme that will grab your landlord’s attention is the potential for injury. A hole in the stairway carpeting could cause someone to trip and fall, making the landlord liable for the injury. Landlords are also sensitive to security issues, so be sure to point out any security risks created by your problem, such as a broken lock or faulty hallway light. Finally, if the problem affects other tenants, be sure to emphasize that.

2. Propose mediation. If your oral and written requests are ignored, contact a mediation service, which will invite the landlord to meet with you and a trained mediator. The mediator will help the two of you reach a mutually-acceptable solution, but will not (unlike a judge) impose a solution. Many communities offer free or low-cost mediation services as an alternative to going to court.

3. Report your landlord to your local building or housing agency. Some minor problems may violate local building or housing codes. Call the agency that enforces these codes in your area to find out. (Look under the city or county government listings of your phone book.) Officials at the agency should be able to explain whether your problem violates local or state codes, and may be able to take action against your landlord.

Warning Keep in mind that reporting your landlord won’t likely improve your relationship, which may be important to you if you want to stay in your unit for some time. Even state “antiretaliation” laws, which prohibit rent hikes, terminations, or other adverse actions following a tenant’s complaint to a government agency or exercise of a legal right, cannot forestall a sour relationship.

4. Sue your landlord in small claims court. If you can prove in court that the unaddressed problems decrease the value of your unit, a judge can award you the difference between what you’ve been paying in rent and the amount the unit is actually worth. Obviously, suing your landlord is not your best option if you want to salvage your landlord-tenant relationship. But if you’ve tried everything else and moving elsewhere is not feasible, taking your landlord to court might be the right remedy. 

Post # 14
1726 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

That is awful. I can’t imagine the anguish you are going through. This is why I have not and would never rent from anyone I know. If I can’t afford to feed/clothe myself or my family then I would do my best to get welfare and/or rent a shack really.

The emotional trauma that people can inflict upon you whom you will know and be attached to FOR LIFE, is not worth it in the end. Your relationship with them is permanently damaged with scars that will stay with you forever. You can forgive them eventually but the pain will always be there.

This is your lesson learned the VERY hard way. Cut your losses and MOVE AWAY IMMEDIATELY. You owe ’em NOTHING at this point. ‘Pack yer $hit and git out!’

Post # 15
494 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@rosworms: What if they had never signed a contract with the homeowners? And what if there aren’t records of rent being paid, and the owners can just say they were letting them stay for free? Would they still legally count as tenants, with all the rights outlined here?

The topic ‘I hate my Future In Laws’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors