(Closed) Animal lovers what would you do in this situation??

posted 5 years ago in Legal
Post # 2
1654 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

You should definitely fight it. And I’m really sorry for the loss of your dog 🙁

Post # 3
1378 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

I’m so sorry to hear about this!! *internet hugs*


I’m not sure what the best course of action in your area would be…but if I were in your shoes, I would definitely fight it. Did you verbally agree or contractually agree? 

<br />At the very least, report the vet to the city to make sure that something gets done, and that no one else is taken advantage of, like it sounds you were. 

Post # 4
352 posts
Helper bee

I definitely think you should try to fight this, sounds like a few sketchy things went on here. With the info you provided sounds like you would have a strong case against them, ESPECIALLY practicing without a business license! Good luck & so very sorry for your loss.

Post # 5
8729 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

I think you should report the vet to whatever governing body regulates them. If this was a hospital and a human would you just let it go and be worried about the money or would you be asking questions about the treatment and care of your loved one?

Post # 6
2934 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 1996

I would try to fight it if it were me. I am so sorry about the loss of your dog (and glad that it sounds like he didn’t suffer.)

Post # 7
11747 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Sarabethw:  I wouldnt try to get your money back. Next time you should research your vet beforehand and always get a second opinion on big procedures. I would notify someone of the business license issue though.

Post # 8
9230 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2010

I am so sorry for your loss.  It sounds like it may have been hemangiosarcoma which attaches itself to blood rich places & grows like crabgrass.  Any vet would know that wasn’t curable.  Did he tell you the type of cancer it was?

They certainly should not charge you full price.  I would fight them on the basis of their malpractice, ie misdiagnosis.


Post # 9
9139 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

Sarabethw:  Would definitely fight the bill but more importantly I would make sure to fight out a way to warn other pet owners from using them.

Post # 12
9230 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2010

They should have taken a biopsy before recommending surgery.  Henangio grows & spreads so fast, I’ve actually heard of cases in which the dog will sprout new tumors during surgery.

Had it gone untreated, death from hemangio is, mercifully easy.  The dog simply lies down & bleeds out internally.

Some owners, even knowing the diagnosis, will elect surgery in hopes of buying some time, but hemangio is not survivable.  You should have been fully informed & allowed to make your decision based on all of the facts.

I am so sorry.

Post # 13
4940 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Sarabethw:  You made the kindest decision – I lost a dog to hemangio –  my deepest condolences on the loss of your beloved dog.  

As far as the vet clinic I’d be fighting tooth and nail to get them shut down or whatever action you can to put them out of business. 

Post # 14
216 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Vet here. I’m very sorry for your loss.

I think there are 2 separate issues here, you dog’s care and the business activity.

Regarding care, in an emergent setting (I assume this was an actively bleeding splenic mass given your trip to the ER and his “unstable” bloodwork), you don’t always have the liberty of knowing if a splenic mass is cancerous or not. Dogs can get benign splenic masses (aka hematomas, that present and bleed just like hemangiosarc) and sometimes you don’t know what you are dealing with until you get into surgery with the understanding that it can definitely be a roll of the dice. Either way, these dogs are almost never “stable” for surgery and the only way to stablize them is by removing the bleeding spleen. That being said, if there were metastases seen on x-ray, hopefully the ER vet would have picked them up, but ER vets are not boarded radiologists and you don’t necessarily have time for a radiology consult when you have an extremely emergent patient. I’m sorry the vet didn’t do a better job explaining possible outcomes.

I also doubt your dog lay on the table for 10 hours; the vet likely would have seen additional masses almost immediately after opening him up and probably called you within 30 min to an hour of starting surgery.

Regarding the lack of a current veterinary premise license, that falls under the owner of the veterinary clinic to maintain (which may not be the same veterinarian that saw your dog) and I have no explanation for that. You can certainly call the state veterinary board and let them know that the clinic does not have an active premise license. Depending on the size of the hospital, this may not be related at all to the veterinarian who saw your dog (who I assume is likely an employee and does have an active veterinary license).

Regarding the bill, you should look at your estimate and see what it actually covered….I assume they included post-op hospitalization which wasn’t needed, and make sure your bill reflects the how far they got into your dog’s care. Again, I’m very sorry for your loss.

Post # 15
722 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

i would be soooo furious! i’ve dealt with some bad vets and its infuriating. (my cat had liver failure, i paid to have him get a feeding tube and he was just not there anymore, i took him in to get put down and they accused me of just giving up and being too pessimistic, the day later he died naturally. it killed me knowing he had to suffer for longer).

i would definitely try to get your money back and make it so they cant do that to other pet owners

The topic ‘Animal lovers what would you do in this situation??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors