Annoyed I lost out on $1,000 or possibly paying more…Advice??

posted 5 months ago in Emotional
Post # 16
229 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2019 - UK

Could you sell the tickets and accommodation to a friend at discount? Or to a friend of one of your friends that are going? Or give it as a gift as long as they pay for the name changes of the flights?

Post # 17
2917 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2018

If your boss has already told you “no” I would not go around them to try and figure out how to make it work, it’ll look bad and if a new coworker came up to me and asked me to change my vacation in order for them to take their vacation I would be really annoyed.

That does really suck though, my company always accomodates our new hires planned vacations regardless of if other people will also be on vacation.

fireusagi :  

Post # 18
1888 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2019

What do you want more? This trip or this job?

Post # 19
2676 posts
Sugar bee

This is a shitty situation to be in and personally, I probably wouldn’t have taken the job if they are that inflexible with previously planned engagements because I feel it’s setting you up for future issues.  But I realize that not everyone has the ability to be picky when it comes to employment.  

Would you be able to find a new job, because that seems like your only option for you to be able to go.

Post # 20
4060 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

If they already said no bc other people took the time off, I’m not sure who you think is going to switch with you? Unless you think people who don’t know you are going to cancel their vacation for you?

Post # 21
2419 posts
Buzzing bee

I think you’re going to have to suck it up.  It sucks, but being an adult often sucks.

As the new person at your job, I wouldn’t try and get people to switch shifts with you unless you needed coverage for something more of an emergency (ie, family member in the hospital, to attend a funeral, etc).  

Post # 22
572 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

Twizbe :  What? The new job didn’t approve anything. They told her flat out no.

OP, don’t risk your job over a trip, unless it’s like a family emergency.

Post # 23
504 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2018

Um, I’d be looking for a new employer.

I don’t know if I missed it, but were you upfront with the employer BEFORE you accepted the job? If you weren’t, I think this falls on you then. I have always, always been up front with any new potiential employer before I sign the dotted line that I have XYZ trip or whatever planneed and it will require me to be off these days and I’ve had zero issues with time off since I was upfront about it. If you did indeed let them know prior to starting and they still said no, I wouldn’t want to work for a place like that, but thats just me.

Shitty situation regardless if you were upfront or just assumed you could have the time off (never assume) but I would say you’ll have to miss this trip and chalk it up to a lesson learned. Try to sell your ticket and apoligze to you friends. Or better yet, see if you can get a friend/family member/old co-worker, etc to buy your ticket + share of the room to try to recoup some of the costs.

Post # 24
9435 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

kmbumbee190618 :   I requested the time off before starting, and they flat out said no as the time was blocked off as others have booked it.

This is no fault of the employer IMO. Other employees with more seniority already had the time off.

Post # 25
504 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2018

Westwood :  Totally missed that, so my bad! I just skimmed. In that case, yeah just a shitty situation. But to go along with this and what another PP said, I wouldn’t have worked at a place that denied me PTO before I was even an official employee. 

Post # 26
2811 posts
Sugar bee

What kind of position is it? If it’s shift work or a position that needs to be covered while you’re gone then I’d understand why they denied you the time off. But if it’s a standard salary type position I’d be annoyed. I wouldn’t quit over it, but I’d keep an eye on how they treat their employees in general. 

I’m confused though – Was the original trip one week long and now you’d miss the whole 4.5 day festival, but just go hang out for two days? Or was it 4.5 days total and now you can only make it to two days of the festival? I just don’t understand how missing one day makes the VIP ticket worthless if it’s a 4.5 day thing…

I would maybe go if I could still make it to part of the festival (if that’s what it is), but not if I was missing the whole event. 

Post # 27
12119 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

We don’t know what type of job this is or what time sensitive pressure the employer is under to finish a project, reach a goal, or have someone in place. 

There are many circumstances under which a prospective employee might be told that the job is contingent upon starting immediately. 

Post # 28
116 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2020 - North Carolina

I wouldn’t have accepted a position anywhere that wouldn’t allow me to take time off for a prepaid trip. What exactly is it that you do? I know that not everyone has the same situation as I do but I would take the time anyways and whatever happens, happens. I would start looking for a new job ahead of time just in case.

Post # 30
2917 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2018

fireusagi :   I know this will come off extremely judgemental and harsh but I am wondering why you would have even purchased these tickets/ paid for this trip if your financial situation is so rocky that you collect welfare? 

If you’re worried about losing welfare which I assume you rely on to survive then I would do everything I could to keep this job and not rock the boat Over a festival. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors