Annoyed I lost out on $1,000 or possibly paying more…Advice??

posted 5 months ago in Emotional
Post # 33
950 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

I’ve never heard of a company not approving pre booked leave.  What if it were your wedding? Would all the people on here telling op to suck it up cancel their wedding if the job they just started at told them they couldn’t take the days off they booked over a year in advance?  I wouldn’t. My husband started a new job 3 months before we got married and he just told them, these are the days I can’t work because I already have my wedding and honeymoon booked.   If they had given him a hard time he wouldn’t have taken the job.  

Post # 34
5563 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: July 2018

All the people here saying too bad so sad suck it up, this is being an adult blah blah blah make me so grateful to not live in the US.  The reason the states will never have better employment laws around sick pay, vacation pay and parental leave is because of these attitudes.  Most of you say you want things to be better but deep down you have this ingrained sense of not wanting someone to get more than you, it is like a race to the bottom. 

I have never experienced anyone in the UK not being allowed to take preplanned time off when they start a new job

Post # 35
4498 posts
Honey bee

oceangirl40 :  Lots of places won’t.  Health care and emergency services usually book out leave months in advance and go by seniority so you can’t have overlapping leave or more than X number of people off.  Your wedding doesn’t matter when people’s lives are on the line.  You can’t be understaffed.  Same goes for small businesses.  You can’t just leave things unattended and decide to not make money that day because someone planned to go on a honeymoon vacation or a concert festival long before they even started the job.

My job has a rigorous training program.  If you miss days, you won’t pass.  You simply can’t catch up if you miss.  You also have to accrue leave and unpaid leave is only allowed for medical reasons after you’ve exhausted your leave.  If you didn’t accrue 40 hours of leave (which takes about 20 weeks) then you don’t get your leave approved.

A business can run any way they see fit.  Lots of places won’t automatically approve your leave, even if it was booked before you started.  People have the option of choosing to work elsewhere if the thing for the leave is more important than their job and earning a living.

Post # 36
6662 posts
Bee Keeper

Regardless of what policies other companies or other countries may have this is what you are dealing with. You need this job and cannot easily replace it–I would not ask my new coworkers to switch after being told at hiring that I could not have the time off. Maybe one of your friends can invite another friend, otherwise that money is already gone. 

Post # 37
950 posts
Busy bee

annabananabee :  I guess that’s true.  I’d definitely pass on the job.  My life outside of work and being able to count on that I can actually take the vacation I booked is just way too important to me.  Especially as I get older.  Life is too short to miss out on experiences with family and friends.

Post # 38
6662 posts
Bee Keeper

oceangirl40 :  For all the reasons she stated in her update declining the job was not an option.

Post # 39
950 posts
Busy bee

beethree :  I know but in the future if op is deciding on a job, how the employer views work/life balance and their attitude about taking vacation is something to consider before taking the job.  

Post # 40
7892 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

fireusagi :  why are you buying expensive VIP festival tickets when you are unemployed in the first place? I has assumed you changed jobs while you were employed. 

Post # 41
5563 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: July 2018

LilliV :  To be fair she said she planned the trip and bought the tickets a year in advance so it is possible she had what seemed like a good stable job then and only recently lost it, hence looking for a new job.  Circumstances change, people are acting like the only possibility is that she spaffed 1k on concert tickets while unemployed. 

Post # 42
7002 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

I’m assuming the OP booked and paid for the trip prior to losing her job, so at that point I can understand. 

That being said this id definitely a case of “welcome to the real world, you gotta suck it up”. Talk to your friends, see if they have anyone they know who might want to buy your ticket and take over your spot at the Air BnB. Sure you’re gonna lose out on your flights but I’d just let this be a lesson on why you buy trip insurance. 

Post # 43
7892 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

zzar45 :  fair enough. But still, if she’s not in a financial position to lose this job she isn’t in the financial position to pay even more money to end up with half the vacation. OP, sell the ticket and recoup as much as you can. 

Post # 44
2671 posts
Sugar bee

Ok, but did anyone else associate the OPs name with the Fyre Festival?  OP, I hope you aren’t going to that.  HA!

Post # 45
2811 posts
Sugar bee

Ok with the updates, I would probably just cut your losses and try to sell the ticket.

If the job market is that bad and you really need this job, I wouldn’t want to piss them off by trying to maneuver things behind the scenes. If they’re consistantly bad with work/life balance things I’d keep looking for other jobs, but follow the rules while you’re there – you may need them as a reference down the line. 

And it sounds like going for a couple of days might just be more frustrating. You’ll know you had to miss out on the best parts so everything else may have a bit of a damper over it. Plus you’ll know you had to pay DOUBLE to see HALF of what you’d originally planned.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors