- 5 years ago
So, last week I contacted a few of my wedding industry buds, to check on date availability. Me and the mister decided on giving it a go for May 24th 2014.
Friday, he tells me “my cousin just announced his wedding date is May 24th!”
UGH. Back to the drawing board. I’ve already been through a cancelled wedding with an absolute irresponsible jerk of an ex. My new and fantastic love have already once postponed our original plan of November 2013 nuptials due to his mom being diagnosed with Breast Cancer this past April.
May was good for a few different reasons. My Future Mother-In-Law will be finished with her 1st round of chemo and then 5 weeks of radiation by the early part of next year. Because we have no idea how this is all going to pan out, yet hope pray and have faith each and every day, we’d rather do this sooner than later. Also, since I also happen to be a planner/Day-of-Coordinator, May is just before my season picks up. I have a wedding in June so I would never book ours in that same month. Also, keep in mind that my wedding industry friends are very busy during the summer as well, so both the deals or availability may not be open to me during the summer.
Granted, the cousin has no idea that we were planning to wed. (remember our wedding is a surprise to our guests at our “engagement party.” The e-party hasn’t even been announced yet since we planned to pick and secure our venue by next month. So technically they came first anyway. The cousin doesn’t live in the same area as us, but the mister has stated that most family members from here will attend. Here’s where the money factor comes in: during these economic times, I do not feel comfortable changing our date to only a week or two after the cousin’s wedding. My Future Mother-In-Law is not able to go to work while undergoing treatment and I actually raise money for her (by selling bracelets, car hangers, etc.) in an effort to keep some extra income coming. So I share all of that to say this: it will be enough of a sacrifice to either 1) figure out how she’s attending her sister’s family wedding and 2) who will help her pay? Not to mention, if the sister is preparing for her own son’s family wedding, she may not be able to come to ours if only a short period of time is between both weddings.
*sigh* So I’m over here thinking about other dates. July 5th ? Is that just as crazy? smh
Sorry for the long vent. I’m starting to feel like maybe I need to just focus on making the dream happen for all my clients. Seems too difficult and complicated for me to ever experience it
Bees, what would you do in a situation like this? And the whole engagement party cover….how on earth can we have an “engagement party” if we keep waiting, waiting, waiting? smh