(Closed) Another DIY lighting question.

posted 9 years ago in DIY
Post # 3
3316 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

I can’t tell you whether to get uplighting, since I don’t have experience with tent weddings.  If you want someone to set up uplighting for you, you might check with the company that is renting you the lighting package.

If you want to do uplighting yourself, you may want to check out this link.  What you will want is:

  • Source of electricity.  (If there is no electricity at the site, you’d have to look into something battery-operated, which tends to be a lot more expensive to get the same amount of light.)
  • PAR cans — either PAR 56 or PAR 64, depending on how strong you want the light to be.  (PAR 64 is stronger)
  • Bulbs
  • Gels, if you want the light to be colored
  • Extension cords, if you are placing the lights away from the electrical source
  • A piece of 1/2" plywood, 1" x 1", for each PAR can
  • A bolt and nut set for each PAR can
  • Two washers for each PAR can
  • Black spray paint

The cheapest source I found for the electrical components was Bulbamerica.  The paint, extension cords, plywood, bolts, nuts, and washers should be available from any hardware store.  Details on how we are putting it all together are at this link.

Post # 5
3316 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

The spotlights I got were $18.95 each, plus about another $16 for the bulbs.  Whether or not they are colored makes very little difference to the price, so long as you are not looking for ones with complicated color effects (e.g., changing colors automatically).

The topic ‘Another DIY lighting question.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors