Post # 1
Okay, bees, I got a job offer – decent salary, good position. Here’s the rub: it could take me anywhere from 1-2 hours to get there during rush hour (only 20-25 minutes during non-rush traffic), and the work hours are 8:30-5:30, so I would have to drive during rush hour.
I have a strong potential for an interview next week for an okay position (not as good as the offer Iave, but decent) that would only be about 10-15 minutes away even during rush hour.
The offer states that it is only valid through tomorrow at 5 pm. I have to accept/reject it by then. Can I ask for an extension or will that forfeit the offer? I would say that I need more time to weigh my options or something along those lines.
Post # 3
Ooh, this is tough!
What do you know about this upcoming position that you will interview for? Is it really a lot worse than the position you had offered? Also, with the current job offer: are you expecting that you will have to commute for 1-2 hours every day, or only around holidays/bad weather? Because if it’s every day, that’s a possible 4 hour round trip commute, right?
Post # 4
@LadyBear: Is it possible you could work different hours? Or work from home?
Post # 5
I would negotiate with the job which gave you the offer for something more convenient for your schedule. They obviously want you if they gave you an offer, so try to talk some sense with them 🙂
Post # 6
@LadyBear: I would also suggest exploring different work hours. Maybe 7-4?
For me, commuting = hell. Honestly, it angers me to sit in traffic, especially when all I want to do is get home. I would only take the job you describe if I could work different hours.
As far as asking for an extension on the offer…which side has the upper hand? Are there lots of applicants for the job or are you the SUPER qualified? That will likely influence whether they give it to you or not.
Finally- and this can be hard in this economy, but- remember that your quality of life is super important! Don’t ignore it for any old job. 🙂
Post # 7
I didn’t get an extension, but I did get an agreement for more flexible hours and a start date a week from Monday instead of this Monday… I think I might take it. I mean, passing up a good offer is silly, right?
*Sigh* I know this is a wonderful problem to have, but I didn’t expect all these opportunities to come so fast…
It’s been pointed out to me that it’s okay to leave the job if a better opportunity comes along – that it’s more common than it used to be and I have to look out for what’s best for me. I guess loyalty to an employer is more a thing of the past?
Post # 8
That commute is a bit much, especially since you could possibly get the job with the 10-15 minute commute! I would probably hold out for the other job.