(Closed) Another job offer – can I use it as leverage at my current job?

posted 6 years ago in Career
Post # 3
5095 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011


Post # 4
11233 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

You can, yes, BUT if you do so (and get a counter offer from your current job that you choose to take), you run the risk of being seen as the employee who stayed strictly for money. 

Post # 5
6597 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

Yes, definitely.

But you have to be prepared to WALK away from your current job. It isn’t leverage if you won’t.

Ask for whatever you would like, be prepared for them to say no or to not give you everything you ask for. If this happens you walk away and take the other job.


Good Luck!

Post # 7
2104 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@coffeegal85:  I would just worry that in this economy, they may start to rethink the job offer to you and would look more favorably toward someone who is eager to accept right away since most people aren’t in a position to hold out for a better offer.  I have no idea what field you’re in though, so maybe that makes a difference.

Post # 8
3471 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - The Gables Inn, Santa Rosa, CA

I would wait until they ACTUALLY offer you the new job– just in case. but it’s perfectly reasonable to tell your current manager that you have this offer at another company (I would avoid names, just in case) and you’re considering taking it, does your current company want to counter offer.  

The down side is, if you end up NOT taking the new job, you could end up losing your current one down the line next time things are tight with the company, because they’ll know you are only as “loyal” as what they offer you.

Post # 10
661 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I would strongly advise against doing this. The better thing to do is have an honest discussion with your superior, letting them know that you need additional help or you will burn out. That gives them the chance to remedy the situation. Make absolutely no mention of the other job.

If you mention the other job, as PP have pointed out, you run the risk of looking disloyal, and effectively put a target on your back.

You are not in a position to walk away since you don’t really want the other job. So you really do not have any leverage anyway. So I would tread carefully.

Post # 11
4272 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

@mimi123:  Agree.

Post # 12
2414 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I would wait for a written job offer…from there, you can certainly let your employer know.

Fiance just gave his notice on Monday and his current employer asked if there was anything they could do to keep him…he said no for many reasons, but if staying is an option for you, def. leverage it…just DON’T do it until there is a written offer or else you may end up shooting yourself in the foot!

Also, there is no problem with staying at a job for the money…it’s life, people always strive to achieve more.

Post # 14
661 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

Congratulations on getting the job offer!

I stand by my original post though. I would still have the discussion and see what they do for you.

If they say they can’t give you the help that you need, ditch them and take the other job.

Never accept a counteroffer. My background for saying this is that I was in a somewhat similar situation last summer. Crazy hours, they didn’t give me help, and they didn’t offer me a raise after I asked repeatedly. So I have them a chance to make it right and they didn’t do it.

So I went out and got another job. Less hours and more money. A win win. BUT I was prepared to walk away.

Then I got the counteroffer from them. They moved fast when they realized I was leaving, but at that point I was mad that that’s what it took for them to give me what I wanted. So I had no problem at all with leaving. If I stayed–well who wants to be in business with people who ignore your pleas for help and only move when they are in danger of losing you?

But you are not in that situation yet. You have to give your company a chance to make the situation right before you tell them you are going to leave.


Post # 15
661 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2013


Just read your follow up post–then by all means, just resign.

Do not accept a counteroffer from them either. They are a bad business and they don’t deserve you. Even if they counteroffer you, they will suck your blood dry and the relationship will be sullied at best, and at worst, they will just terminate you on their own time because you have shown disloyalty. I have seen this happen to many people before.

You will not regret it. I have not regretted it.

Post # 16
1279 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

I am in total agreement with mimi123 sounds like she has been in almost the exact same position, you should not stay at a job that will not honor or respect all of your hard work and will continue to ignore your requests for more help….You will not regret it…

I will share with you one piece of advise one of my bosses told me….”at the end of the day if it’s you or me I am picking me, sorry it’s not personal its business…”  this was to point out that in business everyone is dispensable….so I would look out for yourself….your health, mind and spirit will thank you later.


The topic ‘Another job offer – can I use it as leverage at my current job?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors