(Closed) Any 2010 Hudson Valley brides?

posted 12 years ago in New York – Hudson Valley, New York
Post # 18
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Hello! I am getting married at the Grandview in Poughkeepsie on Sept. 26th, 2010. I am actually going there today to sign the contract and put down a deposit. I’m so excited! I had seen a lot of great reviews about it online and it came highly reccommended by  a couple of acquaintances so we went for it. We chose the outdoor ballroom (tent) for our affair. So far, they have been extremely accomodating (The Groomsmen Brent is awesome!) and I have to say that what they offer for the money is unbelievable! The Grandview is right on the Hudson river and even now, in the  middle of winter, the view is spectacular! I can’t wait to see it in September! We are set up to attend a tasting in March, which is free to those that book with them. Otherwise it would be $65 per person and it’s pretty much like attending an affair there. They have a cocktail hour, sit down dinner, and dessert with wedding cake! If you attend the tasting first then book, they will apply what you paid for the tasting as credit when you book. I think that’s pretty fair. Another thing that is nice about the Grandview is that even though they can possibly have two afffairs going on at once, the indoor ballroom is on the completely opposite end of the building from the outdoor ballroom. Each ballroom also has it’s own bridal suite close to the ballroom. I can see how you would really not be able to tell that another party was going on at the same time as yours. They also stagger the start time of each affair so that guests from both parties are not arriving at the same time. They are really very professional there and it is very easy to see that they know their business very well. You can tell that they have a lot of experience doing this and my fiance and I felt very comfortable there immediately. Another bonus is their affiliation with the Grand Hotel which is very close by. They have a trolley that will transport anyone staying at the hotel back and forth from there to the Grandview on the day of the wedding. This is very convenient especially if you have a lot of out of town guests that need to stay overnight.

We also looked at a couple of other places before the Grandview.

The Tarrytown House Estate……it was not what we hoped. Because we are having a smaller wedding (100 people max), they would have put us in the King House which is a smaller mansion on the property. It was a little run-down looking on the outside, and the inside is really not conducive to a wedding. It is a house, plain and simple, and the party would have been broken up into multiple rooms. That didn’t work for us. We didn’t look at the Biddle Mansion which is the main mansion there, but from far away it looked great. They will only give that to a bigger wedding. I think there is a 125 -150 person minimum for that and it has a ballroom with an outdoor patio that looked beatiful.

The Highlands Country Club in Garrison……(we originally thought we would go with them) beautiful ballroom with two huge fireplaces, great big mirrors hanging above the fireplaces, candles everywhere, and harwood floors. The ballroom also has french doors all along one side that can be kept open to the veranda and outdoor grassy area with beautiful patio furniture and a fire pit. It really had an amazing ambiance. The wedding coordinator there was very sweet and accomodating. Two things made us decide not to go with this venue. The first thing was the food. We ate at their restaurant Tavern (which is the only way you can taste their food), which has gotten rave reviews from the NY Times and others. I don’t know if they were having an off night or what, but the food was EXTEMELY salty. I must admit that I am not a big fan of salt, so maybe I was just sensitive to it. I guess that salt levels could always be adjusted, and we did think that the food was very good otherwise. It was cooked well, and presented well, just really salty. More importantly, we were not happy with the price we were quoted. We are looking to have a cocktail reception with passed hors d’ourves and a few stations. We thought that for what we were asking, the price was over the top. In order to make it affordable there, we would have been reduced to about 5 passed hors d’ourves and 2 stations. We didn’t feel that this was enough food to offer so that our guests didn’t leave hungry. The Grandview offered much more for a much cheaper price, in a beautiful setting.

Sorry I am so long winded, everyone! I am not telling anyone that they shouldn’t look at these other venues, just why they didn’t work for us. Good luck to all with your planning. I am looking forward to reading more posts on here for ideas, reccomendations, etc.!

Post # 19
7 posts
Newbee

ebr171!

I’m getting married just 2 weekends before you at The Grandview! How cool! For one, there aren’t many GV brides here, and not all that much info available other than some great reviews on weddingwire etc. So to find a ‘fellow’ GW bride, and so close in date – hehe, cool for me. =]

Everything you said about the GV .. totally agreed. But I’ve seen that is definitely the case for all the reviews I’ve read. Great food, and awesome service. For us, there were just a few very important requirements .. 1) No crazy multi-ballroom type place, and you’re right – even with the ballroom wedding going on, they do a great job to keep it separated. 2) No generic wedding food. So not interested in paying $100+ for a rubbery piece of chicken breast and potatoes! And I heard from my brother, the food there is really great. We’ve yet to attend the food tasting, but I’m not worried! 3) Service. Service. Service! We cannot stand mediocore service! We love friendly, passionate and genuinely good people. And that starts from the management, down to the servers. We’ve read fabulous reviews about their service, and my brother says time and time again, it was the best wedding he has been to! So when we met with Margaret, we did have fairly high expectations. And somehow, she managed to surpass all of them.

I’m in NYC and it’s been tough planning some of the details without being able to run over there whenever I please, but I think it will be well worth the extra effort! And hopefully – our guests will agree when it comes to the 1.5hr drive!

Post # 20
53 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Hi everyone!

Wow this board is so helpful! We actually live in Los Angeles, but are both from the NYC area and lots of family all over the country so we decided on the Hudson Valley as our “destination wedding!” Actually we haven’t selected our venue yet but it’s been a long road….we wanted to go with Manhattan but the hotel prices, even after heavy negotiations for group rates, just made me too scared that certain family members wouldn’t be able to attend due to cost.

Anyway, long story short we are now trying to decide between Lyndhurst Castle in Tarrytown, NY and Cat Rock / aka Osborn Castle in Garrison, NY.

Post # 21
1753 posts
Buzzing bee

Hi love2lol,

Have you contacted either of those two yet? I only ask because I contacted Cat Rock when I was thinking about HV and it was $$$$$$$$$.

GL!

Post # 22
42 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2011

@shirleybears I just looked at Shadow Lawn and it looks fabulous!  Congratulations, I can’t wait to see pictures from your wedding!

I’m still researching venues and looking for something for September 2011.  It’s a bit daunting but I think I still have a few months to nail down the venue.  Does anyone have any recommended caterers?  A lot of the venues I’ve been looking at would require outside catering and I’m a little nervous because that would be a huge part of the overall budget and I don’t want to commit to venue without knowing that there are reasonable and good caterers around.  Any advice would be appreciated!

Post # 23
53 posts
Worker bee

Hi Gerbera!

Yep, we went to see Lyndhurst and really liked it. Cool castle and lots of space to roam on the grounds. We especially loved the Double Tree hotel which is basically across the street, about 1/2 mile away. We really need a hotel nearby that’s nice but also affordable, so many different types of guests in our families flying and driving in from all over the country.

Lyndhurst is pricey but what makes it especially tough is that you have to choose from 2 caterers, neither of which let you bring in your own alcohol. And most of our guests will not be drinking so it’s a huge waste of money.

Personally, Cat Rock is my favorite but yes it’s $$$$$$$!!! But we like Cat Rock because he lets you bring in your own caterer and also, own alcohol, so there is a huge savings there.

Where did you decide on in the city? We looked at a ton of places there too. It was really the hotels that made us leave the city due to all of our out-of-town guests. But I’m a little sad about that, we both really wanted the city to work!

Post # 24
1753 posts
Buzzing bee

@love2lol,

Cat Rock is definitely BEAUTIFUL! And I do love that the site fee goes back to the restoration of the property and it’s family owned. Lyndhurst is beautiful as well but Cat Rock definitely tops the list!! ๐Ÿ™‚

We ended up going with Vanderbilt Mansion aka Dowling College on Long Island, NY. Most of FI’s family will be coming in from Out of Town so it just seemed it’ll be easier to stay in the city region.

P.S. If you are looking “mansion/castle” feel I’ve got a few others that I contacted that I never got around to visiting that might work for you. PM me if you’re interested and I’ll dig through my emails.

@Miss Holly,

There’s another thread floating around about HV Caterers. Pamela’s Traveling Feast which is the sole caterer of Benmarl, We tasted their food and it was quite good for the price and they bring everything in for you. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 26
53 posts
Worker bee

@Gerbera,

Vanderbilt Mansion at Dowling – GREAT choice!!! It’s beautiful and so classy!

thanks for your offer re: additional mansions! I will message if things with these 2 castles fall through.

Ah Cat Rock. It’s true, so nice that it’s family-owned, etc. I’m dreaming of it LOL

Post # 27
2 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Hi All! I’m newly engaged and new to the site. My fiance and I REALLY want to get married in the Hudson Valley and have been checking out various venues. Really want to do an outdoor ceremony and then my cocktail hour and reception in a barn or tent…which gets difficult, because the guest list is 125-150 people. Does anyone have further information on Shadow Lawn and their pricing? Also, has anyone done anything at Full Moon Resort in the Catskills? I’m waiting to hear back from their Events Coordinator.

Checked out Cat Rock and Lyndhurst, but a little too expensive for my budget. Plus, I’m hoping for a little more flexibility with my catering – going for the autumn harvest theme. $$$$!

Also, is anyone using a wedding planner in the area? I’m in Astoria, Queens, and this definitely feels like a destination wedding. I was wondering if I should eventually look into one, but I’m concerned about costs.

I’m also checking out West Park Winery, Boscobel House, Cromwell Manor B&B, The Bird and Bottle Inn, and Castle on the Hudson. Any further input is MUCH appreciated! I’ve only been engaged for 5 days and I feel the stress already! ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 28
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: October 2009

Hello! I’m getting married at West Point on October 9th with the reception to follow in Hopewell Junction, NY. Original plan was to have the reception at the West Point Club, but the hotel situation around Wedding Party was a nightmare, so we decided to move it up the road a bit. 

We are planning this from TX (me), AL and Afghanistan (fiance), PA (my parents) and MD (his parents). As you might guess, we are both active duty in the army. 

Can anyone recommend a good DJ, hairdresser and florist in the Hudson Valley? I will only have one weekend I can go up there before the wedding, so any leads would be appreciated. 

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Post # 29
4 posts
Wannabee

Hi ladies- so nice to hear so many of us are trying to plan our weddings from out of town. I don’t know if you all have experienced this or not but I have found some vendors do not realize that you may not live in the area and cannot just ‘stop in’ to see them at 4pm on a Wednesday. I have had some interesting conversations with vendors who were annoyed that the only day I could come see them is on a Saturday in the middle of the day, I have to get there from Philly!

Anyways, we looked at a bunch of the locations listed above, we wound-up going an alternative route and are having our wedding on September 25th this year at Benmarl Winery. My finace and I love wines and thought it would work well. Plus we have gone to so many weddings in a banquet hall we really wanted a place that was more fitting for us.

If anyone reads this post and wants to know more about Benmarl and working with Bethany, the wedding coordinator there, just send me a PM. It has a AWESOME so far and I have less than 4 months to go!

Has anyone found a nail place to get their nails done? Our hotel is in Fishkill, NY and I tried finding a somewhat decent nail salon (doesn’t have to be super fancy) and am just finding a lot of random names. Just tried calling a place named Regal Nails and no one picked-up

Good luck ladies!

Post # 30
66 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

@nicolasandchristine: I can let you know the vendors I am using for my own West Point wedding and maybe that will help!

DJ: The DJ Solution – they’ve been reviewed a lot on this board – up in Poughkeepsie. I haven’t actually experienced my reception yet (this weekend) but they’ve been nothing but wonderful so far.

Florist: Seed to Fruit in Beacon – I’ve been pretty hands off thus far but Nicole is very nice to work with!

Hairdresser: I’m using Salon on Hudson, which is inside the Thayer Hotel at West Point. I had my hair trial last week and I was very happy!

Post # 31
830 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Hi gals!

We’ve finally chosen our venue and we ended up going with Round Hill in Washingtonville, NY (F.E.A.S.T. Caterers’ “home base”) but not until 2011. Thought I’d post my venue research here anyways. Our other contender was the Thayer Hotel, but we went to brunch there recently and were very unimpressed with the food. Since there wasn’t really another opportunity to taste the food other than at the restaurant there, I felt it was too risky to make a big investment in a place that I was 100% confident in the food. F.E.A.S.T. does tastings about 2-3 times a month (for FREE :)) and can’t recommend going enough! The venue consists of a huge old house and lots and lots of lawn and garden areas, and it’s the perfect “mood” we were looking for. Not too formal, but very picturesque, and you have the place to yourself for the day. The food is creative and very flavorful, and I couldn’t be happier! Also, we love the Hudson Valley’s wineries and Round Hill is relatively close to a bunch so we’re hoping to host our rehearsal dinner at one.

I did otherwise love the Grandview, which would have been awesome except that we felt that the outdoor space (which we would have been relagated to due to cost and not being able to meet the ballroom minimums) was not nearly as impressive. It kinda felt like we were just in a lot next to the main building. The wedding package that they have is pretty hard to beat though so if you can afford the ballroom, it’s a great choice.

I also recommend the Plumbush Inn in Cold Spring. It’s just up the road from The Highlands Country Club/The Garrison. It’s super cute, and very similar to Round Hill but we felt it was kind of isolated from other activities our guests may want to do if they decide to make a weekend of it. But Jeanette, the owner, is super and seems completely on top of her game and is well connected. If anyone is getting married at The Garrison or The Highlands Country Club, I would recommend doing your rehearsal dinner there.

But Round Hill is not without it’s challenges. My main stumbling block at the moment is hotel options for folks and transportation. I know the Homewood Suites by Stewart Airport has a shuttle that they can make available for your wedding day/night and will build it into your guests’ room rate, but I’m not crazy about it being literally next to the airport. If anyone has any information about inexpensive transport options in the Orange County area, please post!

Good luck all the 2010 brides and please post reviews and recommendations when you can!

The topic ‘Any 2010 Hudson Valley brides?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors