(Closed) Any 2012 brides getting snarky “end of the world” comments?

posted 9 years ago in January 2012
Post # 32
9024 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

If people truly believed the world was ending why are they still going to work everyday and sticking to their routine? Why wouldnt they be quitting their jobs and going around doing last minute things. I believe the world will end someday but it will be when people least expect

Post # 33
5109 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 2011

Welcome to the bee!! πŸ™‚

That sucks people are making weird comments. I mean I know some people really believe in this, But there is no need to say something like that how annoying.

Post # 34
14 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I have been getting them too, but like everyone else, i just think of sometihng sly to say and brush it off.  People always think they are the first to make a “funny” comment like this so I’ve just learned to remind them at least I’ll still be in that happy honeymoon stage! πŸ˜›

Post # 35
312 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I get them too.  I just say “all the more reason to get married before that happens”.  You can’t change peoples minds and they will all feel stupid when the world doesn’t end.  Or else they will all say “I was just kidding, I knew it wouldn’t end”.

Post # 36
69 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Oh me too, apparently there is no use in us getting married or even going on a fabulous 2 week honeymoon because we’re apparently all going to die months later. Well I just say “my dying wish has always been not die a single old maid…at least this way I die a young happy married woman who never saw one wrinkle”  it’s shut up a few that’s for sure πŸ™‚ lol

Post # 37
726 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

My Fiance jokes about it all the time!

Post # 38
1664 posts
Bumble bee

yes! I’ve had this from countless people. “you do know the world is ending this year, right”? … “why don’t you just get married this summer since the world is ending next year?”…… frig off people.

Post # 39
2808 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Yep! I haven’t gotten anything overtly rude, but I usually respond that I’m grateful that we will enjoy 8 months of marital bliss first;)

Seriously, though. How insane are the people who actually believe that?

Alternately, anyone else going to a “Rapture Party” this Saturday? I know I am πŸ™‚

Post # 40
77 posts
Worker bee

Some of my friends have said ‘awesome! you can put the wedding on credit and not pay for it after the world ends!’

Thanks, practical friends. Brilliant advice. πŸ˜‰

Post # 41
1398 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

View original reply
@emtee: Omg.  I hope they weren’t serious. 

Post # 42
69 posts
Worker bee

No rapture parties for me. I know this sounds silly to most, but I for one am just going to be mindful of this predicition and of how real people with real lives are giving up everything for this. There are honest hearted individuals out there who really believe that the Rapture is happening in 24 hours. I can’t even imagine what that must feel like, I can’t imagine what is going through their minds. All I know is that they are giving up their jobs, their possessions, their money, all their life savings for this and asking for nothing in return. That to me, tells me that to them it is VERY REAL. I have been reading the comments of the majority of those who do not support this expected event, and they are outright scoffing, ridiculing and making fun of these people. As if THAT is Christian. It actually hurts my heart for these ones that are being made fun of and turned into public mockery because to them this is their reality, and they feel they are doing a LIFE SAVING work in warning everyone, just as “Noah did in his day of the flood”. I get that, but you know what a simple “Ok thank you I will be prepared just incase” would be the more humane and Christ-like and curtious and dignified way to handle the situation not turning it into some joke. The other part to that is, all these people that are mocking and saying it’s not going to happen are the ones who are scared themselves because the truth of the matter is that NO ONE WANTS TO BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR ANY OF THEIR ACTIONS, so really it’s all a defense with the hopes that they are right. I don’t know either way or the other if Saturday will be the day of Rapture, I don’t even know if I fully believe in the Rapture, as I do not have any faith in Religion and that has also caused my skeptism of what the Bible or Good Book actually contains, but either am I able to guarantee that it WONT happen. Not one person on this earth can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that it WONT happen, no more than they can say that it will. So to be on the safe side I am neither holding any parties, nor going to any parties that deal with mocking this very real day for thousands. I am hoping that it’s not this Saturday, I am hoping that everything will be just fine, because let’s face it, no one is good with uncertainty and it’s difficult to prepare for something we know nothing about preparing for, but does that merit mockery? If this does not come to pass, perhaps we’d all do well to take another look at ourselves, and perhaps think twice before pointing the finger at those who now have to deal with the aftermath of shattering of their whole belief system and their world as they know it, and instead continue to be the best we can, being the best of ourselves and giving the best of ourselves to each other, trying to be good honest hearted people. In the end, if we all did that on a global scale THAT would bring about what we all ultimately want….Peace, Happiness and Harmony. My heart is with those who anxiously await this absolution that may or may not come.

Post # 43
1633 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

I actually haven’t gotten any 2012 comments from other people yet, though when I was talking about potential wedding dates with Fiance, he said, “How about December 22, 2012?”  (The implication, of course, being that if the Mayans were right, he won’t have to deal with a wedding.  Har har har.  Funny man.)

Post # 44
100 posts
Blushing bee

Just tell them how annoyed you’ll be if it happens before the wedding’s over. πŸ˜‰ I googled some of the dates I was thinking about and had some pop up as “This is the day Jesus is coming” as well. 

You could pass on something my mother told me– that according to the Bible, no one knows the place and time of the end of the world. (Not sure where this is, though.) But if they’re basing this on some sort of religious mathematical “evidence”– “in your face!”

Post # 45
185 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I don’t live in a very religious part of the world and I’m an atheist. We don’t know the world is ending! LOL!

If it does, at least I’ll be married!

Post # 46
224 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Sent from my Android

Hi! I am also new and have been lurking! As a 2013 bride I get “end of the world” comments, sometimes I just end it with “guess it’ll be a cheap wedding then yea?” Haha….I am also getting remarks on our ‘long’ engagement and we should ‘just get it over with’ to which I reply, “oh so you’re paying for it then?”….I have no patience for rude! Can’t people just be happy! Haha…also, no one knows when the world will end!

The topic ‘Any 2012 brides getting snarky “end of the world” comments?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors