(Closed) Any 2014 Vermont brides? Tell all!

posted 6 years ago in Vermont
Post # 3
437 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

@love108:  I just got married in Charlotte, VT and it was amazing. Let me know if you need any help with vendors! Good luck!

Post # 6
135 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I’m getting married in September 2014 in Vermont! I’m from downstate New York but used to live in Burlington. We’re going up to look at the Alerin Barn in August.

Post # 8
687 posts
Busy bee

We are planning on late August/early September in VT. 🙂 Still haven’t decided on the venue, will be looking at a couple around Burlington and Stowe – we’re having a very small, 25-30 person wedding.

On a side note, I’m having a bit of sticker shock from VT prices! We’re in MA, and I kind of expected VT prices to be lower, but in fact they are not – even Upstate NY is less expensive than VT.

Post # 9
135 posts
Blushing bee

@cranraspberry:  I’m in downstate NY and I was surprised at the fact that Vermont was less than it was down here. And the problem with down here is most of the barn/rustic venues have NOTHING included, which has been my biggest stress so far.

Post # 11
687 posts
Busy bee

@love108:  I would absolutely love to hear some suggestions

Post # 12
687 posts
Busy bee

Okay ladies, I am resurrecting this thread, and sharing a trick I read about in the “Bridal Bargains” book (there’s a new edition coming out in November – I recommend this book to any bride wanting to save money!): contact your local Conventions Bureau. Here’s the link to the Vermont one, and they even have a wedding planning section!

Basically, you will speak with the lovely Eliza at the VCB, tell her a little bit about your desires, budget, number of guests etc., and she will send out a mailing to all the local hotels (you can specify by region) on your behalf. Then you sit and wait for the quotes to start coming in. 

We did have a couple of snafus – for example, the folks at the Round Barn first seemed willing to work with our $2.5K budget, specified what we’d like included in that amount, and then sent us a quote for $6400. o_O But we also got in touch with some lovely people, and got a nice group booking rate for the Courtyard Marriott in Burlington. So if you don’t know where to begin, it’s definitely an awesome resource!

Post # 13
687 posts
Busy bee

Ah, I wish this board were a little more active, but in the meantime I’m going to share what we have so far for our intimate Sunday wedding:

Venue: Inn at Shelburne Farms. I had so much venue doubt, but once we put down the deposit it felt like SUCH a relief! Their Sunday rates are absolutely wonderful – $35/pp for a 3 course dinner (family style salad, choice of 3-4 entrees and dessert), and a great wine list with plenty of options in the $35-45 range.
The venue rental fee is $1500, and another $50 for chair setup for the ceremony if you prefer. With that you get the lawn or library for the ceremony, the north porch and/or game room for the cocktail hour and a private dining room that can seat up to 22 at one long table and has two smaller ones for a total capacity of 28.

Room block: We initially thought that everyone would stay at the Inn, but the rooms there are fairly pricey and they don’t have any discounts or group rates, so we chose to go with the Burlington Courtyard Marriott and the brand new Hotel Vermont, which is just next door. Hotel Vermont is a bit pricier than the Marriott, so our guests will be able to choose whether they want a more basic or more boutique option. Oh, and Heather at the Marriott is such a sweet person! She’s also planning her wedding, so totally gets brides and what they are going through.
For the bridal suite we might do a suite at the Marriott, or one of the nicer rooms at Hotel Vermont – haven’t decided yet!

Photographer: I’ve already shared my excitement in another post, but we are going with Hannah Weddings and I couldn’t be happier – I think they are the absolute best VT has to offer. Best of all, they were willing to work with us to create a custom package to fit our budget! I’d recommend them to anyone who likes a photojournalistic style in a heartbeat.
Those who like a more Style Me Pretty look might want to check out Christina Bernales. For a no-frills affordable option you could take a look at Jaclyn Schmitz.

Florist: Floral Artistry. I have been a fan of Alison’s work forever, but didn’t think she’d be interested in working with our tiny $500 budget. So I contacted three florists: one wasn’t available on our date, one stopped replying to my emails once I mentioned our budget (yeah…), and Alison spent over an hour on the phone with me discussing the details. She is absolutely amazing, and seems sincerely excited about working with us, in spite of it being such a small scale project. She’s an absolute star at what she does, and an amazing person.

Post # 14
77 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

I lived in Vermont and worked for a number of amazing properties that did weddings, Topnotch and the Inn at Essex! I’d be happy to help with any questions about Stowe especially~

Post # 16
687 posts
Busy bee

@love108:  I know, I was really worried that she’d turn us down, but thought I’d still give it a try and got lucky! She’s also actually encouraging me to share my pinterest inspiration boards with her, ha. Twist my arm! 😀

The topic ‘Any 2014 Vermont brides? Tell all!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors