Any 2021 Brides?

posted 1 year ago in Guests
Post # 2
1462 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2021 - Australia

my understanding for those doing the ‘wed now, reception later’ is that you do the ceremony and a small dinner or socially distanced stand up outside thing, whatever, and then for the reception, it’s treated as a big party. You can wait for the guests to arrive to walk in, do the cake, do the dance, all the bits you’d normally do with a reception, should you so choose. It’s a great opportunity to include what elements you want and leave out those that you don’t – it’s not like anyone really knows how it works!

We have planned for next September come what may. If that means grossly restricting our guest list then we’ll do that, in our venue, with our closest family, plus a photographer. As it is, we will have been engaged for 17 months at that point and I don’t think we will want to wait any longer.

Post # 3
578 posts
Busy bee

If I were you, I would just plan a normal wedding for 2022. You just got engaged, so there’s no need to rush into planning a wedding less than a year from now, especially with the lingering effects of COVID making it difficult to book vendors. In a way, you’re lucky because you weren’t in the middle of wedding planning when COVID hit, so you don’t have any money tied up in deposits. Anyone who’s recently engaged would be foolish to try to plan a 2021 wedding, in my opinion (unless circumstances beyond your control are forcing you to rush, like immigration or visa issues).

Post # 4
681 posts
Busy bee

If I were just engaged now and had not yet put any money down on any vendors, I would hold of until 2022. I am not 100% confident that things will be fine next year. Trust me, you do not want the heartbreak and stress of COVID + wedding planning. It’s not worth it. If you want big and traditional, plan for 2022. If you are 100% okay with a microwedding, plan a microwedding for next year. For all situations, make sure you can get money back if COVID is still a problem. I started planning my wedding in July of 2019 for a celebration in September of 2020. Because of the exchange rate, two weeks before the COVID lockdown, I had placed more money down early for my ceremony. I can’t get any of the money back. It’s stressfull. Learn from my mistakes.

Post # 5
993 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2020

I agree with other bees that planning for a 2022 wedding sounds like a much better option. You won’t have to watch the news and wait for updates in fear of a postponement as other 2020 couples and now 2021 couples are doing.

I had a 2.5 year engagement and to be honest, it FLIES by! Plus, I can not imagine planning a wedding right now on top of all the unknowns and fear as COVID continues to spread.

Post # 6
59 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 2021

I am not sure your situation and why you must have it in 2021, but I would just have a long engagement and do 2022 just for sanity’s sake. With me, I got engaged in 2019 and booked stuff that same year before shit went down. I am planning worst case scenario to downsize and not reschedule and just have that be my wedding period, which I am not sure if that is allowed based on etiquette, but my fiance would much rather have a small wedding anyways due to not being very big on crowds because of autism. I orginally wanted it close family members only, but in order to appease my mom I kind of gots roped into inviting her friends and these cousins on my mother’s side that I barely met.

Post # 7
187 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2021 - Chicago, IL

I plan on holding my small (under 100 guest) wedding in Chicago in April 2021– however, if there are continued restrictions and health concerns, we feel comfortable pushing our date to September or October 2021. We don’t mind waiting for the ceremony and reception we both want.

Post # 8
55 posts
Worker bee

Congratulations on your engagement!  

I agree with the other posters and suggest you to wait till 2020 if possible. We got engaged and booked our venue for March 2021 right before the pandemic. Because we already paid quit a bit of money for venue and vendors I am now struggling with trying to decide what to do. Planning a wedding is stressful enough but having to plan it during a pandemic is a nightmare. Our venue is not allowing us to reschedule at this time and I also don’t want to wait till 2022 to get married. So we will either have to cut down the guest list or worse case scenario we will cancel the wedding (possibly lose all our deposits) and just get married in his church with family only which will be less than 20 people. No one can say for sure what will happen next year. Doing everything in 2022 will be a lot easier especially since you just got engaged.

Post # 9
1478 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

If I just got engaged, I wouldn’t even entertain the idea of having a wedding in 2021, I would aim for 2022 for sure. Who the heck knows what next year will look like and you wanna have options for venues and things..seeing as how everyone is postponing to next year you don’t wanna have to settle! T

Post # 10
333 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2020

If you have the ability to wait it out and not book anything until next year, I think that would be beneficial. It will give you time to see whag the state of the world is. My sister got engaged a month ago and booked for next April which really makes me nervous. My wedding is in October and I would never knowingly book anything for sooner than next fall if I had the choice. 

Post # 11
17 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2021

Congrats of your engagement! I totally understand your concerns. We have booked our wedding for September 2021. While I am hoping that things will be okay enough for us to have the wedding we planned, I am also aware that things may happen that we will have to make potential changes, including having to cancel our current venue and doing something small and intimate. The venue we booked offers a full refund of deposit if something covid related prevented us from having it there which is some peace of mind. And while I feel confident that we will be able to have the wedding we really want and have planned for, I am prepared for the worst and am still okay with doing something small if need be. I feel it’s not as terrible as the situation for the 2020 couples who had no idea this was going to happen and it totally came unexpectedly. If you really don’t want to even contemplate having anything less than a larger wedding that you dream of then I would suggest holding off until 2020. But if it’s something you would still be able to be okay with then go ahead and plan for 2021. Just make sure to see if you would be able to get deposits back if need be and try to keep an open mind of the possibility you may need to make some changes, big or small to what you had originally envisioned. I will be just shy of 32 years old when we get married and fiancé will be 34 and we really want to get on with starting a family which is part of the reason we are still set on getting married in 2021. But honestly if I were like 27,28,29 or something then I would likely wait until 2022. 

Post # 12
7 posts
Newbee

Unpopular opinion here, I recently got engaged and we really want to get married next year. I got lucky and was able to book venue/photographer/all the venders we wanted for a July 2021 wedding. We’re feeling positive we can have the day we want but if not then we’ll just have a mini version! We have a plan A and a plan B. 

Post # 13
202 posts
Helper bee

I got engaged in March and eloped in June. We will have a religious ceremony and reception when the pandemic is over.

We got married in an empty park with a socially distanced officiant, us and a socially distanced photographer who doubled as our witness. Masks were worn. We streamed to immediate family. Everything we needed, we ordered online or made ourselves so we wouldn’t have to go in to stores.

However, I’m also completely lost on how to plan an in person wedding right now. I feel like it may be a very long time until we can have our in person ceremony and reception because we aren’t comfortable looking at venues or meeting with anyone. I’m not sure what the best way to go about things is as far as planning in the current situation :/

Post # 14
57 posts
Worker bee

We’re planning for an August 2021 wedding. We’ve already discussed that if COVID-19 is still an issue, we’re going to get married anyway and have however many people are allowed at the venue. I never wanted a big wedding anyway and would just go to the courthouse if it were completely up to me. I’m not waiting for 2022 because I’m in my 30s and want to start trying for children next year. 

If you are still young, I would advise you to wait until 2022 – especially if you want to have a “normal” wedding with all your guests. 

Post # 15
717 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
@hleeeex3:  not sure where you are located but in my area even before covid it was hard finding a date less than/around the one year mark. There were dates here and there available, but we found waiting a year and a half gave us more flexibility and our choice of many dates. We also didn’t feel the pressure of having to book on the spot without going home to reflect and worrying that the one date that was available would get taken. I imagine it’s even harder now with many 2020 brides rescheduled for 2021.  I would just hold out until Spring of 2022 which also just brings us further away from this mess. I think you will find it to be less stressful. For some perspective, we got engaged in fall of 2019 and I had my heart set on a fall 2020 wedding. I was originally bummed when we realized fall 2020 wouldn’t work out and we had to push to 2021. Now, I could not be more thankful! That’s not to say 2021 will even be fine, but it’s a lot more hopeful than fall of this year is looking. Everything happens for a reason and whatever date you choose will feel perfect to you, even if it’s later than you hoped.

Good luck!

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors