Any 2021 Brides?

posted 1 year ago in Guests
Post # 16
10498 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

View original reply
@Becca7:  

Me too, l am rather surprised at all the ‘oh my god 2021 is far too soon’ responses. I have never really understood long engagements, being married is no more expensive than being single and if the delay is to make sure you really want to, then don’t get engaged till you are sure . 
Seems to me OP could get married as soon as she wants in the now-normal tiny format and plan her big reception for whenever. 

Post # 17
993 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2020

View original reply
@elderberry:  I was coming from the thought of (and I think other bees here are too) that planning a wedding during this time of so much unknown is not at all ideal and if there isn’t a big reason for the 2021 marriage, it would be much less stressful to wait and plan with confidence. It’s easy to say “Oh we’ll just have a small AND large wedding plan based on circumstance” but we’ve seen things change so quickly this year. One day, 50 people is fine, the next you have 100, then it’s back to only 15 people for a bit. In theory it’s easy to plan that sort of thing, but in practicality theres final numbers to be listed, deposits without refunds, uninviting guests to deal with, and more. I watched my best friend go through it this year and now is worrying about her June 2021 wedding. A time that should be spent in excitement is surrounded by uncertainty and frustration. We can’t even plan her bridal shower or bachelorette. Forget trying to figure out RSVPs with state guidelines changing constantly too! And dont forget to factor in potential layoffs!

So yes, certainly a 2021 wedding can be done and can be beautiful and exciting, but it certainly comes with so many “what ifs”. So I think bees here are simply pointing out that if there is no particular rush or reason for 2021, maybe waiting for this all to pass and for her to look forward to a brighter and more certain 2022 season would be a better bet.

Also I don’t think people have a long engagement because they aren’t sure about getting married. Usually it’s for financial (weddings can be expensive if you want a bigger one and don’t have family pitching in) or school/career reasons. We personally had a long engagement due to both being full-time students and working full-time, so it gave us more time to save and plan without the stress. We didn’t mind waiting because we WERE sure and we didn’t feel the need to rush.

Post # 18
166 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2021 - Schoharie, NY

View original reply
@hleeeex3:  so my now husband and I legally tied the knot December 21, 2019 so that my doctorate would be in my married name and not my maiden name. We planned on 10/10/2020, but have postponed our wedding celebration to 10/30/2021. I am wishing I went out to 2022 to be honest. It’s not worth the stress of being responsible for the health and wellbeing of those you love. 

Post # 19
4609 posts
Honey bee

I would not make any deposits now. A lot of venues and vendors are going to go bankrupt.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors