- 6 years ago
Ok, a long one so please bear with me….
I’ve been lurking on this forum for a while, even though i’m not engaged yet, but the last few months have been a bit of a roller coaster. My boyfriend was plannng to propose to me next week, while we are on a romantic weekend away to Paris. We’ve been together 5 1/2 years at this point, living together for 2 years.
A few months ago, we found out my fertility is low, and to be in with the best chance of concieving, we need to get onto this asap, but for various reasons, I want to be married first. Treatment would entail the use of donor eggs etc, so not very straight forward and success rate would be low.
So, hence the almost “planned” proposal, with a wedding in November this year, to avoid clashing with other friends/family weddings and events. While we’ve made some enqueries, we haven’t booked anything yet.
In the last two weeks however, my mother has been ill, and we’re waiting the outcome of some tests, but all signs are pointing to an aggressive form of cancer. Survival rates are extremely low. So the engagement/wedding is no longer even registering as a priority. There are a few other family issues at play as well, so I’m trying to keep everyone’s stress as low as possible.
I’ve asked my boyfriend not to propose, or to ask my dad permission, as he was to do this weekend, until we know more, but the likelihood is as well as loosing my mum, I’m loosing my chance to have a child naturally.
Anyone have any advice? Am I doing the right thing by asking my boyfriend to hold off?