Any bee's a buyer? Applying for jobs not 100% qualified for?

posted 2 months ago in Career
Post # 2
105 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Totally have done this, got the job, and it got me on my awesome career path. Go for it. It’s just an application! 😀

Post # 3
3399 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

I dont have any suggestions about your particular career, but my husband applied for a position within the company he was already working with that he wasn’t  “qualified” for on paper. They called him in for an interview and created a new position for him due to his hands on experience that they found valuable. It ended up being an even higher paying position than the one he applied for. Go for it. All they can do is say no. 

Post # 3
3399 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

Sorry duplicate post

Post # 5
9012 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

apply, see if you get an offer, then you can decide. 

Post # 6
1341 posts
Bumble bee

Apply. With the current job market, employers are desperate for candidates.

Post # 7
1167 posts
Bumble bee

I’m a buyer. It’s a title that can mean anything and every buyer will have very different job. I’m not particularly happy with my job but it could be more related to our procedures than the buyer job itself.

As for applying job that not qualified. There are levels to it. I’m not gonna apply for a job that I’m totally unqualified. But if I’m missing 1-2 things then yeah. I’d say there is no harm in applying!

Post # 8
46 posts
Newbee

I have and it has been the best professional decision of my life. In the past three years I more than doubled my salary, went to senior level management, and greatly improved my quality of life. If you have transferable skills that would allow you to do the job, even if it doesn’t add up on paper, I would encourage you to get out of your way and give it a try. 

A few years ago two of my good friends were coincidentally on hiring committees at the same time for senior level roles. They work in two different industries, finance and education, and for different companies. Both friends were dismayed by the differences in male and female applicants. They said female applicants tended to meet every single requirement. Conversely, oftentimes male applicants would meet only one or even none of the posted requirements. I was shocked and started thinking about the external and internal factors that hold women back from advancing professionally. I did not want to be my own obstacle. Around the same time I saw a random post on Twitter, “Lord give me the confidence of a mediocre man” HA! And the rest as they say, was history. 

Post # 10
14 posts
Newbee

I am a buyer! and i was 100% unqualified when i applied. I had only ever worked in a restaurant (mostly serving but some management) and the company i currently work for gave me a shot with a 6 month temp position. Fast forward 2 years and I am still here. I love my coworkers, most of the time i love my job, but i especially love the company i work for. My only complaint is it can be kind of boring, hence me being on the bee right now LOL. I get sick of the routine of ordering stuff and checking inventory all day and would rather be on the action side of the business (marketing or sales). 

I say go for it! i would still be waiting tables if it werent for me branching out and taking a chance that i normally wouldnt have. i have stability, benefits, and a retirement now! and im gaining skills that can be used just about anywhwere. Good Luck, bee!! 🙂 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors