(Closed) Any brides out there for 9/11/16 wedding date?

posted 6 years ago in Venue
Post # 2
541 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2016

You can do whatever you want, but do you really want to celebrate your anniversary on 9/11 every year? I personally wouldn’t. 

Post # 3
4509 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2017

I see nothing wrong with it.

Post # 4
201 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

I personally wouldn’t have my wedding on that date, I think it’s a very somber day in America.  I would also feel uncomfortable attending a wedding and celebrating on a day that is still very tough for me every year.

It is your choice, but you will probably hear a lot of comments about the date.

Post # 6
4408 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

For me personally I would not want to celebrate on such a sad date. Then again I’m from NJ and NYC is my second home, my parents were engaged in the restaurant on the top of one world trade center…. So that tragedy is too close to home for me, my family and friends… But u can do whatever u want…

Post # 7
6574 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

Every day of the year is the anniversary of some tragedy. 

Post # 8
685 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

It all depends on what you and your fi want. If you already have a different anniversary anyway then that’s not a concern! 

also depends on where you live and if any of your important guests might have personal memories…  

otherwise it is a sad day every year but it’s also more than 10 years ago! 

Post # 9
645 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

Well, you certainly won’t forget it. You will be doing something of beauty, love and celebration on that day instead of all the sadness! I say go for it. (I’m a little biased— that’s also my birthday.) 

Post # 10
7440 posts
Busy Beekeeper

I can’t fid the previous thread about another bride from that date. She also recieved alot of flack from friends and family. They were focused more on the date than her wedding. 

Personally, I wouldn’t but if it works for you and you don’t mind some feedback about it. Go for it. Just for the love of God don’t use it as a theme. This is a no, big fat no.

Post # 11
284 posts
Helper bee

My birthday happens to be the day that the London bombings happened – should I stop celebrating now because a tragedy occurred? Who knows what other tragedies might happen on an alternative date you might choose? I think celebration of incredible in the face of such a terrible event is a fantastic way to mark that date. 

Post # 12
1705 posts
Bumble bee

I think this really depends on where you live in the country. I’m from NY, and after talking to friends in other parts of the country about it, I’ve realized that they had a very different experience of 9/11. I’m not going to say that their relationship to that day is wrong just because mine was more immediate.

Since it’s not your “real” anniversary, I don’t think it really matters. But I wouldn’t be surprised to get comments about it.

Post # 13
3 posts
Wannabee

while it was unfortunate, it happened well over a decade ago… there has been many, many horrible events in the world and there will continue to be.. it’s a different year so it’s a different date in itself… Also, my beautiful little cousin was born on that date.. I guess that means she should not celebrate her birth because of the past? Based on people’s logic any way.. Lol. Enjoy your special day, and remember, “the people that care what you have don’t matter and the people that matter don’t care” — I say do it! xo

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by McPaisley.
Post # 14
Hostess
4604 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 2016

It’s my fiances birthday, and he’s from the south so it doesn’t matter too much to him. I’m from NY though, so it’s not a date I would prefer to have it on, though I also wouldn’t want to get married on either of our birthdays so it would be ruled out either way. If any of your guests have lost loved ones, I would reconsider, but if you’re in another area of the country, it might not be a problem.

Post # 15
2125 posts
Buzzing bee

I think it’s lovely to celebrate love and new beginnings in the face of all the hate that came before. And at the end of the day, it’s a date. Like other’s have mentioned – should those with 9/11 birthdays stop celebrating because of what happened? It’s a terrible tragedy that still pains many of us to this day, and we will never forget the horror of that day. But I wouldn’t ask anyone to stop living their lives because of it. If it were easy to change it I might suggest doing it the following weekend just because of the comments, but given your situation I think you should move forward with your wedding on that date. 

The topic ‘Any brides out there for 9/11/16 wedding date?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors