(Closed) Any housewives without children out there?

posted 7 years ago in Married Life
  • poll: Are you a housewife without kids?
    Yes : (106 votes)
    24 %
    No : (302 votes)
    67 %
    I'm planning to be : (43 votes)
    10 %
  • Post # 242
    435 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2016

If there were no kids involved, I would be bored as a stay-at-home-wife. Since I can’t stand cleaning and my cooking leaves something to be desired, I would be useless at home all day. I think it takes a special kind of person to be able to do what stay-at-home-wives do, and I really admire those who can be domestic and take care of a home. I could do it if there were kids around the house so that it wasn’t so lonely, and SO and I have already agreed that if he makes enough money, I will stay at home with the kids once they exist. But I’d definitely want to be working until the kids arrived, just to keep myself happy.

On a side note, if I ever managed to get the novel I’m writing on a schedule, I might consider staying home and simply writing for a living. Again, this is considering funds allowing for it, which is unlikely for a long time since SO is a perpetual student/academic/will-get-a-great-high-paying-job-when-he-knows-everything-there-is-to-know-about-everything.

Post # 243
    3088 posts
    Sugar bee

I have kids but…

I WISH I could stay the heck home and do what I wanted for the rest of the day. And yes, if I got married and my husband makes enough, I would drop off my kids at school, do what I want, and pick them up at the end of the day. I would LOVE to stay at home not doing jack shyt but painting nails, keeping the house tidy, cooking, sleeping until my husband and children were home.  I am tired of working. Frankly, I am exhausted at the hustle and bustle, getting up at 5 and doing this shyt all over again everyday.  What I do does not fulfill me – it is the means to an end.  I work because I HAVE to, not because there is some type of morality in it. Of course, I would save money from what I received from him.  I am very educated.  I would make sure that if worse came to worse, I can support myself. And I would most likely be one of those PTA parents heavily involved in my children’s school.  But other than that, I would love to sit on my ass.  I believe you can have it both ways.  I think there is nothing wrong with this lifestyle if it suits your famiily.  Yes, judge me.

Post # 244
    1845 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

View original reply
    @bklynbridetobe:  this made me lol! I agree completely, don’t most people (working and non-working) cook “from scratch” all the time?? 

Last night we had fish tacos, it took me maybe 15 minutes to make, but it was still “from scratch”. I just didn’t make my own tortillas..

Post # 246
    15203 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

View original reply
    @bklynbridetobe: +1 Right!?!  My ingredients for meals are all basic.  I buy meats, fish and veggies from the supermarket for my meals too, that’s “from scratch” right?  Or should  I be growing my own veggies too?  Oh, wait, I do grow some of my own veggies too in the summer…

Post # 247
    1344 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2013 - Vine Street Church

View original reply
    @bklynbridetobe:  For real. I cook all of my meals from scratch, and I work 45-50 hours a week. I spend part of the weekend making the things that take a long time (like bread) or the pieces of what I eat for lunch everyday (mixing sushi rice, chopping veggies, cutting smoked salmon, et cetera). I don’t have to be a stay-at-home anything to make nutritious food from scratch.

Post # 248
    7365 posts
    Busy Beekeeper

View original reply
    @FortiesFlare:  

View original reply
    @pinkshoes:  

Okay glad I’m not the only one LOL. I mean do get me wrong, I totally get breads and desserts that are homemade totally fall under the “scatch” catagory, but nobody lives on those alone. My mom always worked and mostly cooked all our meals (with of course the ocassional fast food treat) but never boasted this scratch thing LOL. 

View original reply
    @thejucheidea: Please share if you can in PM any prefered books or blogs that use for breadmaking. That is something I’d like to start trying out in coming weeks. 

Post # 249
    36 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: September 2013

This DOES get heated! 

I currently working as a receptionist for a large accounting firm.  Work here is ok, however I certainly do not contribute to society in this job.  I think that people use “contributing to society” as a blanket term without REALLY considering what they are saying, or perhaps they are the few that actually do contribute however the majority of us work because they need to, and/or love what they do. 

I do not love my job/working outside the home and plan on becoming a Stay-At-Home Wife.  My husband supports this, earns an excellent income, and we are working with our financial planner to make sure that our bases are covered for retirement, in case of death etc. We are not having children.  

We actually have a lot of support from our immediate family and closest friends, and the rest can bugger off lol  I don’t enjoy cleaning but I’d rather clean my house then the boardrooms at work!  I am thrilled to be able to help my husband have actual free time on the weekends and after work, not have to make meals, or grocery shop and have a heck of a lot more quality time together.  It’s just a different sort of work really, and Im not sure why people think that if you can cram that in with a regular job why that is so much better.  I dont know why people need to justify their choice with having education or having worked – if you knew what you loved from the beginning – great!  Less debt or unhappiness isnt a bad thing!  Its not like you “dont know what you are missing!”

Also, I find it interesting how much it actually COSTS me to work, and that we can choose to do other things without those restrictions.  We are lucky enough to be able to make this choice, and it IS a choice.  Live and let live 🙂 

Also, I feel the need to add that I simply do not get bored.  There is always something to do and I LOVE to be alone 🙂  I am one of those introverts that you would never know was one – I am outgoing, friendly and love talking to people, and it exhausts the heck out of me (the idea of kids around all the time horrifies me not because I dont like them, but because they are always there lol).  I get my energy back from my personal time away from people.  I would be ideally happy in a solitairy situation, with my contact with people being at the grocery store, my sports hobbies and my interaction with friends, family and hubby.  Its just the way I work lol

Post # 250
    1344 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2013 - Vine Street Church

View original reply
    @bklynbridetobe:  I’m gluten free, so I may not have the resources you need unless you happen to have a billion different kinds of flours at home :x.

Post # 251
    9916 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2013

View original reply
    @bklynbridetobe:  It’s just the way that people who stay at home who also want to feel superior talk about cooking.  It’s to make you feel as though whatever you do, as a working woman, is not as good as whatever they do.  

How many tv shows are there where the mom works, and the dad works, and it’s not a “big deal” like…part of the show?  

My So-Called Life…it was a crisis when the mom had to change jobs or something.

Family Guy…it was a crisis when Peter lost his job and Lois had to work.

Seventh Heaven…yeah well.

Did Mrs. Huxtable work?    

Obviously, other than the X-Files, those are the only shows.

Post # 252
    75 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: January 2014

View original reply
    @ButterflyButterfly:  easy does it!  I am most definitely NOT saying that women who work are unable to make a “real” home.  Perhaps you misinterpreted what i was saying.  I would LOVE to be working in my field right now… and if the world was a perfect place I would be doing so.  I was simply looking at the benefits of staying at home right now- saying that it frees up my energy and time to focus solely on the home and my relationship.  A working woman could achieve those things also… I am just saying there is more ENERGY and FOCUS  compared to a woman who is also juggling a career. 

I see this is a very controversial topic… 

Post # 254
    56 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: December 2017

I don’t find it weird.

If your husband is okay with you being a house wife and can provide for the two of you, and you both agreed to this, then it is fine! Even if you don’t have kids, it’s great!

However, if I was in your situation, I would work at least part time so as not to get bored.

Post # 253
    65 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: July 2016

I wouldn’t find that fair at all. I don’t see why one person has to work and the other doesn’t.

Post # 254
    4233 posts
    Honey bee

Yes, controversial topic indeed.

Yes, I’ve been a trophy wife who can spend her days lunching with friends and shopping for nothing important. I’ve also worked feverishly for wages outside the home. My hubs is happy either way. But we can’t deny some sort of base machismo of his liking to bring home the proverbial bacon while I fry it in the pan.

And, to be honest, we both have worked for wages to earn not only our own keep but extra so that we could care/provide for our loved ones/family. There’s nothing “fair” about it, per se. It’s just a case of yet another worker in the world who has worked hard to earn “more than enough” and chosen to share their life and surplus resources with their family.

Just my $0.02.

Post # 255
    10 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: April 2015

My dad was a househusband for the latter part of my childhood, hehe. Although he didn’t do much cleaning or cooking, so I guess it was a just nice title for “unemployed but devoted father”. I think I would go insane if I had to spend more than a couple hours a day doing housework. But I wonder how much easier it is being a stay at home mom without the mom part. 

The topic ‘Any housewives without children out there?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors