(Closed) Any housewives without children out there?

posted 7 years ago in Married Life
  • poll: Are you a housewife without kids?
    Yes : (106 votes)
    24 %
    No : (302 votes)
    67 %
    I'm planning to be : (43 votes)
    10 %
  • Post # 271
    9391 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2016

I think I’d like to do that, but I think my fiancee would respect me less if I did.  

He consistently underestimates the amount of chores I do already… he’s under the impression it’s 50/50, I think… but it’s far from that.. closer to 85/15.  (I would put him in line, but he earns a lot more than me right now, and I work from home.  So long as we get a cleaning lady once I get a ‘real’ job and start earning a decent salary, I don’t really care what’s happening temporarily.)  I don’t think we’d have a healthy dynamic if I was a Stay-At-Home Wife.  

I think he’d be able to understand that as a Stay-At-Home Mom I’m doing as much work as him, but I’d have a much harder time getting my career back on track after they grew up so I probably wont even do that.

Post # 272
    249 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: December 2016

I’m a Stay-At-Home Wife and I don’t know how we’d get along if I did work.  My husband’s job is so overwhelming that he needs a lot of emotional support, I could not work and provide for him like I do and while creating a space for him to come home to that is as healthy and relaxing as possible. I have a ThM already so I have accomplished what I set out to do, now I focus on volunteering, my hobbies, and my husband.  One day we would like to have a child and homeschool.

Post # 273
    183 posts
    Blushing bee

I’ve been a stay-at-home fiance for the past several months after moving to the boonies. We both agreed that I will always work part-time so we have enough quality time in our relationship and to take care of the (future) farm. I’m going back to work soon. 

I spend my days taking care of the business side of our lives like bills/finances/appts, keeping everything organized, coordinating the purchase of our house (was a long pain in the butt!). Planning activities/fun outings together, my own hobbies, running errands, grocery shopping. 

And most important: Fetching water from the hand-pump well, cleaning the cabin, splitting firewood, doing the dishes, laundry, and growing the garden. He loves cooking so he does that. 

I’m starting to go a little crazy though. Something about doing a job and getting paid for it is very gratifying. I’m at a crossroads with my nursing assistant career and I miss other kinds of work I’ve done like office administration. So I’m going back to school in the fall. 

Post # 274
    996 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

I couldn’t be a stay at home wife, as I’m a total workaholic. But I would love for my husband to be a stay at home husband! He’s an excellent cook (that’s what he does for a living), could grow even more food in our garden, could do home improvement projects, and would be able to spend more time with our pug. It’s not an option right now due to finances but in the future he will most likely only work part time and then be a Stay-At-Home Dad when we have kids.

Post # 275
    1 posts
    Wannabee
    • Wedding: July 2012

I just recently became a stay at home wife. Our decision came about because I have been unable to find a job out of grad school for over a year now that makes more than minimum wage. For us, having me not work has actually relieved a lot of stress since I am able to keep up with bills, house work and errands while also being home when my husband gets home to prepare and have meals together. When I was working, I was not able to do any of this since I was required to work night shifts and every weekend. Everyone’s situation is different, so please hold off on judgmental statements! 

Post # 276
    893 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

I think I’ve decided that my issue with it is the label – Stay-At-Home Wife.  It makes it sound like a job . . . which it’s not.  I mean, I’m a wife, a sister, a daughter – and I manage to do all of those things while working.  Does anyone every refer to themselves as a stay-at-home sister? No, they don’t.  

Whatever works for people they should definitely do, but please don’t refer to yourself as a Stay-At-Home Wife.  You and your H have just chosen for you not to have a job.  

Post # 277
    2 posts
    Wannabee
    • Wedding: May 2014

View original reply
    Bunny_the_Bride:  this is so true…the divorce rate is 50% nowadays because both spouses are working and are too tired to fulfill their household duties when they get home so in turn the marrriage suffers. Besides that fact what women doesn’t enjoy the fact that her man can provide like he’s SUPPOSED TO DO on top of loving her enough to support her choice to be a lady of leisure.

Post # 278
    663 posts
    Busy bee

I’m quitting my job and so excited. Friday is my last day and then I will go back to being a stay-at-home dog mom. Lol I really just want to volunteer and take time for me and be here for my husband when he does finally get some time off. We are not planning on talking about having kids until at least 6 more years. 

Post # 279
    3107 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: March 2016 - Surfer\'s Beach, Grand Cayman

View original reply
    Kikibear:  The technical term is homemaker, which you can list as occupation on government forms etc.

Post # 280
    3088 posts
    Sugar bee

View original reply
    Jessica_Rabbit:  I don’t see it as snark. I see it as simply another opinion. Because someone’s opinion is not agreeable, lovey dovey roses doesn’t mean there are ill feelings behind it.  But hey, that’s just my opinion.

Anyway OP, more power to ya!  Girl, I would if I could. I am tired of working…sheesh…and yes, I have a Masters degree in Finance. 

However, I think I would also be a bit paranoid, so I don’t think I could completely be away from the work force ‘just in case’….I have been through a divorce and for me, it makes me feel much more secure to work. But, I see absolutely nothing wrong with being a Stay-At-Home Wife. A s long as you feel fulfilled, that is all that matters. Everyone doesn’t ‘have’ to work in the traditional sense.

Post # 281
    3088 posts
    Sugar bee

View original reply
    catlover29:  Read Proverbs 31. Talks about a working woman and the value in it.  Either way you want to go, it’s fine. This can be taught whether a woman is working or not working as long as she is diligent.

Post # 282
    19 posts
    Newbee

I’m a childless housewife! I wasn’t right away though. We both worked to save money to buy rental properties after we got married. Our goal was to have enough rental properties to supplement my income so I could stay home. As soon as we hit our goal, I quit my job. Now, I manage our properties, so I guess I do work a bit. It doesn’t require much of my time though. It has allowed me more time to research the market and cook. My husband has a very stressful job, so he loves being able to rely on me to take care of our home, cooking and anything he might need during the day. It’s nice for going on vacations too, because I don’t have to ask anyone if I can take off. It will be nice when we have children to have additional income, but not have to work a full-time job.

I love it! I do miss the loss of income from a steady 9-5 though. 

Post # 283
    19 posts
    Newbee

View original reply
    peachacid:  Who said women shouldn’t be allowed to work? I have seen you post on this thread numerous times. You’re right, you do have a lot of free time regardless of your job, since you seem to comment on here every other day. Why not put your time to good use and go get another job or something since you love working so much? 

I’m a self-employed woman. I worked for that title for years and saved to open my own business. I only work about 10 hours a week, and it’s at my leisure. I do consider myself somewhat of a housewife because of this. I’m all for women who want to work, be it full or part-time. I’m against women who condemn others because of their own insecurities though. You seem like a very selfish, jealous person. It’s not about “a man taking care of a lady.” Sometimes it’s just about what’s right for your family. 

Post # 284
    3 posts
    Wannabee
    • Wedding: December 1969

Keeping the home fires burning. I have been a housewife for 8 years now no kids. I love it. It is like an endless love affair ❤️😆We own a large home. I enjoy hobbies like photography and painting in all mediums, I can take any course I want I have taken writing and language courses. I love my husband and my life is fantastic. Not to mention all the trips to spa, salons and all the shopping. I frequently attend art gallery and do basically what I like 

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by  tygrr.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by  tygrr.
    Post # 285
    899 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2017

Since it’s been over a year since I’ve had a job (and boy, have I been looking), I feel like I’m sorting falling into a lower category of Stay-At-Home-Girlfriend. Even though I’m still gonna peruse job sites, I made the decision I’m going to stop seriously looking into getting a job until after the new year. My boyfried job is super stressful right now and I figure if no one will hire me, I might as well kick into domestic-mode and make the holidays as njoyable as possible for us.

The topic ‘Any housewives without children out there?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors