(Closed) Any insurance bees? Question/scenario – needing advice :(

posted 7 years ago in Legal
Post # 3
1153 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@jlc3:  I worked in insurance for a few years. Here in California when you don’t have the coverage for the accident (in your case collision) there’s no claim to be made with your own insurer because you aren’t paying for collision coverage. You will have to work directly with the insurance company of the responsible driver. How many days has it been since the accident? I think adjustors usually take 2-3 business days to contact the registered owner. If its been longer than that I’d consider asking who the adjustor’s supervisor is and going directly to them. Its a sucky situation to be in. Best of luck to you!

Post # 4
5949 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2018

@jlc3:  Well, typically an insurer isn’t going to do more than they have to…although its pretty sad since you are a customer and claims are the ONLY time they can show you where your money is going.

Either way, you can totally do this on your own, keep calling, call every day, call twice a day, be ANNOYING…have your estimate to repair the car ready, make sure to get the phone number and e-mail of whoever is handling your claim AND a claim number. 

Once you get the estimate to them, go back to being annoying, call all the freaking time, until you get the go ahead to get your car repaired, its easier if they pay the shop directly, any way you cut it, they’ll send you some paperwork accepting liability, and more for you to sign once they’re ready to repair your car.

You have to be your own advocate if your insurance carrier won’t, I do this for a living, and you just can’t stop until you get what you want from them.

Post # 5
2034 posts
Buzzing bee

They won’t even contact the other person’s insurer. 


This is YOUR duty to do this.  Should be covered at 100% by the other party.  Unless you have an excellent exclusive agent, it is NOT your insurance companies job to do this for you.

PS–Always ALWAYS have FTC and COLL Deds on  your policy…and PDUM when possible.

Good Luck!

Post # 6
2034 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
@veryberry13:  PS Whoever rented the uHual likely had to purchase insurance through Uhaul or transfer over their insurance for the day to use that uHaul.  Whoever was driving would NOT have been allowed to have rented the vehicle without insurance.

Take 10 minutes, file a claim with the other carrier, and it’ll be taken care of.  You got lucky though, and I would add COLL (collision) and PDUM (Property Damage Unisured Motorist) ASAP.  Because next time, you might not be so lucky if someone decides to leave the scene of the accident!!

Post # 8
2034 posts
Buzzing bee

View original reply
@jlc3:  Hey I’m not sure where you are…

BUT claims is CRAZY right now because of the winter storm that just hit the midwest and east coast.  (I work in Claims, dealing with adjusting claims like this EVERYDAY)

Normal contact time is 1 business day.  What company?

Post # 10
145 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

Definitely keep pushing, comprehensive is just best when it’s in a garage.


Let us know how you make out!

The topic ‘Any insurance bees? Question/scenario – needing advice :(’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors