Post # 1
Hi bees! Any other May 2020 brides here? Our wedding is May 30, and our 200 wedding invites are supposed to go out next week. I feel like this is such unfortunate timing. I had been so excited about sending them out, but now it just feels a little…silly. I completely understand that many, many people will not be able to come. While I am 100% ok if our wedding ends up just being us and a few family members and friends who are able to be there, I just can’t help but feel devastated that my parents have spent upwards of $75,000 for our wedding. Our venue offers no refunds/rescheduling at this point, and insurance doesn’t cover a situation like this. My bachelorette party and European honeymoon are being cancelled, too. Which is fine, I’m just bummed. I’m not sure what I’m looking for with this post; guess it’s just nice to vent to people who understand. I know we are all going through this, and I’m trying to focus on the positives and MANY things I am thankful for. Thanks for listening, and stay healthy, bees!
Post # 2
I am getting married mid-May. I’m definitely glad I sent invites out a few weeks ago and am not looking at sending them now.
I’m outside Philadelphia, and the wedding is in central PA. Only a few guests would be flying, the rest are local (either immediately local or within about an hour’s drive). Right now, I’m hopeful we will hold the wedding. The county where the venue is (and the surrounding counties) is not currently effected, and the venue is a farm in a semi rural area.
I’m going to do my best to not think about it and not make any decisions until at least a month out. I don’t know what we will do if the situation looks bad then, but at the very least I’m sure we will urge people to stay home if they feel ill and provide a lot of hand sanitizer (assuming it’s in stock then, which I think it will be).
I’m sorry you’re faced with sending invitations right now. When and where is your honeymoon? Ours isn’t scheduled until the end of June, and I think we could do a two week self quarantine on our return if needed, so I’m hopeful we will be able to go.
EDIT: Saw your honeymoon is to Europe. Ours too, although we may change our itinerary, who knows.
So sorry, bee!
Post # 3
May 1st 2020! We canceled our New Orleans and Niagara On The Lake bachelor and bachelorette parties. We postponed honeymoon. We just received word from his childhood best friend that the military will not let him travel to attend. My fiancé lived in Seattle for 10 years and his sister and best man are still there so a good chunk or our guest list and wedding party are expected to fly across country. It’s far too late and far too much invested to cancel Or postpone… so we are moving forward with the best attitude we can manage and remembering that we just want to be married! Good luck bee!
Post # 4
- Wedding: September 2021 - Beaver Creek, CO
I wonder if you could consider adding a little insert card with your invites. Something acknowledging the situation and saying that while you would love to have them there, you absolutely understand if they aren’t able to attend. I wouldn’t want to preemptively discourage people from attending of course, but maybe that could help with your feeling that sending invites feels silly/tone deaf right now? I also wonder if there is something you can do with the seating/ dance floor situation to help with social distancing, and acknowledge that in the insert.
Post # 5
I’m getting married on May 30th too, bee! And like you my invites are going to be sent out soon. My fiance and I have been stuffing them and have been so excited to send them out btu now with all of the cancellations the last few days we are getting concerned.
My bridal shower is next Sunday and I have no idea what to do about that either. I think for the wedding I am still going to send out the invites as planned, as there are only a handful of people that are out of town and would need to travel, and our county has not been affected (yet). I just cant believe this is happening, especially right now, two months out from our wedding. I’m hoping, praying and wishing that it will be under control by May but everything is so up in the air and it sucks.
Post # 6
I’m getting married May 2nd. We’re only having ten guests and at the end of the day as long as we can get married with his parents and my mom, I’ll make do. I’m just stressed the whole country will lockdown.
Post # 7
I’m so sorry you’re going through this. My wedding is supposed to be May 2nd and I’m in mass. The cases are doubling by the day here. Our invites have been coming back and people are excited about it. I don’t think people take this seriously though, as they keep saying “it will be over by then!” And “don’t worry people can stay home if they want to!”
I don’t see this getting better with the way things are going this week. People are still out shopping , restaurants are still open and it is still being spread by others who don’t even know they have it. I think that the measures taken will definitely help reduce the cases, but there are still going to be many more.
My issue is, my father is 65 and has a list of underlying health problems. FH’s father has stage 4 cancer and is currently on a hormone treatment. Our wedding is supposed to be around 190 people and I would rather not have the wedding than risk their health. We will probably not get the deposits back, but we our planning on fighting it if that is the case.
You may get most people not even worried about it. I’m in the healthcare field , so I am not taking this lightly. However , there are many people telling me they wouldn’t miss it for the world. Just have to wait and see how things go. Maybe have your bachelorette after the wedding. I know it sounds silly , but at least you can still have one when this all blows over.
you already got the invitations. I say just send them and see what people say. It’s a tough situation and I feel for you. Xo
Post # 8
We are postponing our early May wedding to Oct. Mainly because 50% of the guests are from Europe. I just cancelled my bachelorette. We cancelled our Italian honeymoon. We made all these decisions in the last 48 hours!
Post # 10
I am also a May 30th wedding in NY. We just decided to officially cancel my bachelorette which was supposed to be in Charleston 2 weeks from now. Most of us work in hospitals and rightfully so they are discouraging any domestic travel so it wasn’t worth the risk and then be required to self quarantine for another 2 weeks. I care less about this as compared to the wedding.
We already mailed our wedding invites and unfortunately everyone is commuting, even us! Because we sent out save the dates with a very particular venue many people already booked flights. We are about a 5 hour drive from our venue. My family is another 5 hours away in a different direction. My fiances family is supposed to fly internationally on May 24th. His family is in Eastern Europe, we are just hoping his mother and brother can still come, right now they both have different forms of closed borders in their countries. We know his childhood friends are definitely not coming now due to circumstances. If and when they open their borders, the US still may have a ban against them flying since they are connecting in a Schengen Country before getting to NY, even though it is currently only 30 days it could be extended. It’s so hard to predict what will happen 2.5 months from now. Our other friends and family are scattered throughout the US. The wedding is still on for May 30th as long as both of us are healthy and with the understanding that we risk it being just a few people and may be without some relatives. If the venue closes then we will have to rethink our plan of action, as people are flying in to different airports near the venue and there are limited options in that area.
Our honeymoon is also in two different Schengen areas which we plan to fly out mid June. We understand it may be cancelled.
It’s a tough call but with so many variables we are just waiting.
Post # 11
Our wedding is May 24th, I am a UK bride.
We had booked to fly to Los Angeles for 2 weeks just 2 days after. Most things are covered for us, either through cancellation policies or credit card protections. So we wont be at loss financially, or at least only by a small amount. It is just so disappointing… our wedding was planned in under 6 months so relatives with ill health could attend and it’s now looking like they wont be able to anyway. I’ve totally lost the motivation to plan rie buy anything else even though there is loads to still do.
It’s such an awful situation,particularly as no one know what will happen. I mean, who plans a wedding on the principle that it ‘might’ happen!! There is no certainty for anyone at the moment.
I really feel for anyone else in this situation, it is so so stressful.
Post # 12
Hubby and I are still planning on flying 6hours and attending his friends wedding in LA in May. I’ll be 6 months pregnant by then. We are hoping this all will have died down by then. If not than I’ll stay home and he will still go without me. So don’t worry that everyone’s going to say no. Just wait and hope.
Post # 13
I’m getting married may 22th. I’m getting worried about having to postpone. I haven’t sent out invites but I know some guests have already bought airline tickets. I still might have a wedding and understand if the guest counts are lower. I know my venue hasn’t had any postponements or cancellations so far. Got travel insurance for my honeymoon though.
Post # 14
We are May 15. We were supposed to send out the invites tomorrow but are waiting to mail them for 2 weeks and just see whats going on. We sent save the dates. Our wedding is 90 people and almost all local. Obviously we dont want anyone at risk, so we will see whats going on. We did cancel our honeymoon.
Post # 15
Mine is May 16th. Invites went out a few weeks ago. At this point, we are just going to move forward unless things change and make it impossible for us to do so. We have to travel back to our hometown for our wedding, but the majority of our guests are local there so hopefully it will be ok. We are planning on reaching out to everyone a couple weeks in advance to give them an out – we get that some people will not feel safe coming, and we want them to feel comfortable backing out. Ultimately if restrictions are put in place that force us to cancel, we’ve decided to still get legally married on our date and just have the wedding as a celebration later on.
With everything going on, it seems really silly and lame to worry so much about how this affects my wedding, but I can’t help but feel a little sad. But at the end of the day we will get married and that’s the most important part.
ETA: our honeymoon is in Mexico so we are hoping that will still be doable whether we have a traditional big wedding or courthouse wedding