Post # 16
I’m getting married 31st May in the UK. The wedding is still going ahead but we are keeping an eye on whether we will be able to go on our honeymoon to Croatia in June. It’s scary times but we just have to wait and see what happens.
Post # 17
Thank you everyone for your responses and helpful suggestions. I’m so sorry for everyone going through a similar situation. I pray that everything works out for us all, even if it looks a bit different than we all originally planned. <3
Post # 18
So now CDC is basically saying to cancel any gatherings over 50 for 8 weeks.
My wedding is in 9 weeks, and I think I would like to still have it AS LONG AS ITS SAFE. My mom wants us to still have it. She said “If they wanted 9 weeks they would say 9 weeks, they said 8.”
Just not sure what to do yet. If we postpone it, we would do it one year later (next May).
I just dont know based on China if 8 weeks will really make a difference. We would lose a few thousand dollars, so nothing major, but I honestly don’t know if our venue will make it (it’s a restaurant) so we might have to choose a new venue.
Post # 19
I am so sad to hear all these stories but also comforted because I am in the same boat. We just cancelled our bachelor and bachelorette parties which were supposed to be in 2 weeks. So dissapointing because I feel that is such a once in a life time thing to get to do that we are being robbed of.
We sent invites out about 2 weeks ago for our May 24 Florida wedding. 75% of our guests will be from out of town, including me and my fiance. I went ahead and put our venue on a soft hold for November in case we postpone, simply due to the fact we have no clue how travel will be affected. Thankfully, our vendors and venue are being extremely flexible during this time which has been incredible.
It is so dissapointing to delay but I would rather have everyone be able to attend and have everyone enjoy it! At this point we dont know what May will look like so we are going to make the call to officially postpone in the next few weeks. At the end of the day public health and safety & that of our loved ones is more important than a party.
Stay strong ladies xoxo
Post # 20
Our wedding is May 1st and my immediate family is suppose to be flying in from NY and MA. I’ve been crying a lot since yesterday and really worried how this may affect our wedding. I broke down at work a few times today and even with “social distancing” some of my coworkers gave me hugs, which was nice. I will be absolutely devestated if we have to postpone the wedding or if my family can’t come. I thought this would be the happiest time in my life and instead I’m battling depression. My fiance is staying postive and believes it will all work out still. I am really struggling with keeping the faith and trusting it will work out.
I’m so sorry for everyone else in this horrible situation. It’s completely heartbreaking.
Post # 21
we share the same wedding date! We aren’t canceling but our venue might. They are close for two weeks starting Friday. This is devastating but we remain optimistic. It’s out of our control but we are hoping for a positive outcome. Anything could happen at this point, so just send good vibes into the universe and try to practice gratefulness for the love we have found! Easier said than done, I know. I had my two meltdown also. Hugs!!
Post # 22
Our venue has now allowed us to put a later date “on hold” in case we are unable to proceed on May 30. We were able to pick a Sunday in mid-August, which is not ideal, but I feel so much better they are letting us have a plan B just in case. Still praying we can get married on May 30!
Post # 23
We have 3 weddings to attend in May. We just got a call last night from our good friends in California and their wedding just got cancelled for end of May and venue is asking them to pick a date in the fall instead. We are now waiting to hear that the other 2 weddings in Florida and Carolina are also cancelled as they are right next to each other date wise in May. Feel really bad for everyone having to cancel. I’ve had to cancel a trip with my mom to NY in April and I most likely will also not end up going home to our family cabin in June either. Sad but nothing we can do.
Post # 24
So far I haven’t heard anything from my venue, but my florist reached out and said she feels we should stay with our date. She said he husband is an ER doc and he feels after the “8 weeks” pass it will be much better. She also said her March brides are moving to end of May and June. But she has a vested interest in me keeping my date so I am not sure how I feel about her advice. So far we are still just waiting to hear what the government says. Our date is after the 8 week ’50 person’ restriction, so we will see.
I don’t want to put anyone at risk, and I will not violate any CDC suggestions. So if they extend that 8 week guideline then we will reschedule to next May.
Post # 25
Currently going through this process myself (June 20th). Was originally not concerned, but now I’m not too sure… We will probably have a really small wedding ceremony in June and reschedule a reception for later in the summer. Such a tough spot to be in, but there’s nothing anyone can do.
Post # 26
Due to the changing of NYS and CDC guidelines, we are in the process of postponing our wedding from May 30th to October 3rd. Our photographer accommodated since he was available for the change. Other vendors including officiant completely up in the air. Still too soon to cancel a non refundable honeymoon in June but I’m pretty confident that international borders will still be closed by then so it’s irrelevant and a loss regardless. Honestly more worried about older relatives than cost of anything.
Post # 27
We’re a May 2nd wedding. Just held a new date of Oct 10th. As sad as we are about our wedding we’re hoping this helps flatten the curve
Post # 28
Thanks for the encouraging words! I am feeling a bit better today and feel hopeful that we can proceed with the wedding as planned. I see on some other boards that couples are waiting until about 2 weeks before the wedding to decide if it should be canceled or postponed. So I will wait for another month before making any decisions. I’m praying for yours and everyone else’s weddings that are affected during this time.
Post # 29
My brother and his fiance were supposed to be married on April 11th but are postponing their wedding ceremony and reception (outdoor venue; ~150 guests; ~50 guests flying-including Best Man, 2 bridesmaids, some older family members). The couple didn’t want any older guests or guests with chronic illnesses to put themselves at risk of catching the disease. Also, with how rapidly things are unfolding with the pandemic my brother is worried that airlines will start dropping flights, hotels will start canceling reservations, or a temporary ban on large gatherings will make it illegal to have all their loved ones at their ceremony and reception. The new date for their wedding ceremony and reception is August 8th.
<li style=”color: #000000; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;”>While they have come to terms with postponing the wedding and reception, they decided NOT to postpone the start of their marriage. They are going to have a courthouse wedding this weekend for them and the immediate family. (so there’s an idea if postponing your wedding is an option but postponing your marriage is not)
I recommend postponing the festivities for everyone’s safety and comfort. It is extremely unlikely that everything is going to be back to “normal” anytime soon. I know a lot of you are worried about non-attendance, but let’s assume everyone is there that RSVP’d… their fear of exposure isn’t going to suddenly disappear when they walk into your venue. I would predict that wedding guests would be less willing to mingle, dance, hug, etc., which is probably not the atmosphere you envisioned for celebrating your nuptials with the most important people in your life.
Also, you’ve probably spent 100s of hours planning the details of your big day, so don’t settle for anything less. Talk to the venue and vendors about postponement options available for you, after all, you’re marrying your love, not the calendar date of the event. Ultimately, you should do whatever is best for you and your future spouse, so y’all need to decide which scenario (postponing or original wedding date) minimizes possible regrets.
Post # 30
Yeah, thats all great for those who arent religious, but the only thing my fiance and I care about is the actual wedding mass at the church. We don’t care about the party or the legal documents (we already combined finances and have joint everything and I’m on his health insurance as our state allows domestic partner coverage), we only care about the actual mass, in the church, before god and we would want our friends and family there. So it’s not an option for us to “just get married” now, for us it’s a religious sacrament, it’s not about the legal documents. So unless we do it with just immediate family it’s not an option because I’d really rather have everyone there.
So, that said, we are postponing it for a year. I started contacting vendors and immediate family today. I’m really upset. We already had an almost 2 year engagement because we had to get annulments, so now it’s a 3 year engagement. I am so upset over it. It was so stressful planning and it was all done and I handmade all the invitations and was just finally enjoying the excitement and now I have to do it all over again. And even saying that or complaining seems so ridiculous because people are losing their jobs and getting sick so I am trying to keep it in perspective, but also, I’m allowed to be disappointed.
Here’s hoping 2021 is a better year for all of us, for our health, for our careers, for our futures.