(Closed) Any other Engineering majors here?

posted 7 years ago in College
Post # 3
Member
492 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I’m an engineer! Woot! Electrical or aerospace sound like good options – you might want to also consider mechanical engineering or robotics (or any of those with a minor in robotics), if any of the schools have a robotics program.

Post # 5
Member
768 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I am an electrical engineer, graduated in 2007. It wasn’t the easiest major but it’s interesting and the $$$ aren’t bad. Let me know if you have any questions 🙂

Post # 7
Member
768 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

@Gingernx01: When I graduated the job market was still pretty good and I ended up with three offers. I ended up leaving my first job after a little over a year as I was doing mostly mechanical   Engineering and the job was a bit boring (always sitting at a desk). I found another job pretty quickly (had two more offers before I settled on the place I am now). So. I know have been working at the same place for 3 years, it’s ok. It’s much better than what I was doing, so that’s good, though I am not convinced its forever. I don’t spend 40 hrs behind my desk (I go to the lab, go to the manufacturing plant, visit customers etc). Does this help? My Fiance is also an ee so I could ramble about his experience too if you are curious!

Post # 9
Member
768 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

@Gingernx01: I don’t think so. My Fiance, dad and I are all electrical engineers. My dad works on site at least 50% of time (he does mass transit control). He also works from home when he’s not on site (lucky guy!). My Fiance is rarely at his desk as well as he works at a production facility and is mostly out looking at issues they are having and trying to solve them. He usually comes back for paper work and email. I am at my desk the most (but that’s partially because my lab bench is at my desk). I’d say I am at my desk 70% of the time doing experiments mainly, then at the lab or the plant the other 30%. Think it really depends what specialty within electrical engineering you go into and what you want to do. I’d be honest when you are interviewing that you don’t want to sit at a desk all the time. I do a lot of interviewing for my company and we try to fit people in roles that make sense and meet their needs.

Post # 10
Member
972 posts
Busy bee

I’m a materials science engineer and I graduated last May 🙂 I currently work at an aerospace company.  Its not really what you’re interested in, but PM me if you have any questions! 

Post # 11
Member
492 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I’m not in the same specific field, and I graduated 9 years ago, but I ‘ve had jobs both where 90% of time was in the lab and 90% of time was behind a desk.  Personally, I like a mix of the two best.

 

My engineering program was very challenging.  A lot of people get scared off by this and chamge majors.  If its really what you want to do, just work hard and keep your eye on the goal and don’t get discouraged.

 

Also, try reaching out to your local Society of Women Engineers section to see if you can attend one of their meetings ot speak to someone in your field of interest on the phone or in person.

Post # 12
Member
2105 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

My hubby is an aerospace engineer. It took him 9 months to find a job with a Master’s from Hopkins, a double major from UMD, an internship with Goddard Space Center, kick ass grades… etc. Most of the jobs were in California, Texas, and Florida. He primarily does systems modelling with some on site meetings. It’s very competitive… network like crazy!

Post # 14
Member
13096 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

I’m a Biomedical Engineer and Darling Husband is an Industrial Engineer!  Not really the area you’re looking at but Yay Engineers! 🙂

Post # 16
Member
363 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I’m about half way though my electrical engineering degree right now and it’s do able but expect to see your classes get smaller and smaller as you advance in the degree program. Especially when the computer engineering and electrical engineering classes diverge.

As far as difficulty I don’t know you personally so I can’t guess how hard you might precieve the classes to be. Time on commitment on the other hand I can give you an idea of. I’m taking 18 credit hours and averaging about 50 hours of homework a week.

The topic ‘Any other Engineering majors here?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors