Any tips, Advice for a Budget NYC wedding? 100 guests

posted 7 years ago in New York City
Post # 3
216 posts
Helper bee

I have seen some blogs of NYC budget brides.. they had their ceremonies in Central Park and then lunch at a nice restaurant. The pics were gorgeous!

Post # 6
1765 posts
Buzzing bee

I just looked up some places for another NYC bride, don’t know if she got the info or what, but PM me and I will be glad to share.  I like to do this for fun!!!  Also, if you have anything in particular that you want or don’t want let me know.  I have a ton of ideas for low cost weddings!!! 

Post # 7
3564 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

What does your guest list look like? As for not charging per head, then you would probably want a space that you can rent and bring in your own food. What about The Foundry in LIC, Ramscale Studios, Alger House? Those are all smaller spaces though, so they might not work if you have a lot of guests. Also, New Leaf Cafe is supposed to be really good (in Fort Tryon Park). Check out NY Magazine’s wedding issue–it has tons of good venue ideas.

Post # 8
105 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

one of our friends had their wedding catered by Boston Market.  They rented a church with a reception space and had their friends put the food in rented chargers and nobody could tell the difference!  They served it buffet style.  I don’t know if Boston Market offers a catering service.  another one of my friends had a super casual picnic potluck wedding but I don’t know what your budget is like.

Post # 9
111 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

have you thought about renting an art gallery. we had a 250 person e party at Sara Meltzer Gallery in Chelsea. only cost $2K to rent out for the whole day/evening.  we brought in a caterer to serve heavy appetizers and our own liquor / bartenders.

not sure on your size and if you want a full blown ceremony and sit down dinner or more of a cocktailo partyt hing…

Post # 10
388 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

The Foundry is really expensive to rent, and you have to bring everything in.  I think outside + restaurant would be a good bet for you!  Think about places you like, and then see if you can have a wedding there…instead of thinking about places you’ve heard of that does weddings.

Post # 11
79 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I would look into having the ceremony in one of the public parks and then going to a restaurant. That seems to be the most affordable.

Are you interested in the outer boroughs? There is a nice place called My Moon, it’s a restaurant in Williamsburg that was pretty affordable for NYC prices. You can host the ceremony and reception there. Ici in Fort Green is also nice but I know they cannot host 100 folks.  In Astoria, there’s Cavo.

I am a Brooklynite so I only know places there really. But in Manhattan, I looked into Alger House and Desmond Tutu Center. Again, for NYC prices, not too bad. 

Post # 12
183 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Restaurants instead of traditional reception sites are the way to go!  However it is a challenge to find a restaurant in NYC that holds 100 people.  We did and are having it in my neighborhood in Brooklyn.  They are providing set up, take down, linens, and service at no extra cost.  A few keys to our price negotiation (they threw in a lot for free/discounted rates) were two things: we have guaranteed a minimum number and then we simply asked if they could give us a deal . . .   And they did — it was about $10 per head less than the deal I was hoping for.

Post # 14
3564 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

What about bubby’s? I feel like I’ve heard that that’s a fairly budget friendly option (don’t have person experience so don’t know for sure).

Post # 16
7450 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Yesterday, I visited the Brooklyn Society for Ethical Culture. It was so charming and if we decide to have our cereomny in Brooklyn next year here, BSEC is now a front runner. 

You can also see the Picnic House at Prospect park (which is few blocks from BSEC)

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors